Reccomended DVDs?

MartinLogan Owners (MLO)

Help Support MartinLogan Owners (MLO):

bill

Reaction score
Just a suggestion, but with so many people building "home theaters" with ML speakers, you may want to add DVD's in the reccomended section. I know I would have a few to add. Rather than just saying this movie or that one, people could point out particularly good sections within a movie for listening.

As an example, I always demo my system with Super Speedway. It's an IMAX movie on DVD that has Mario Andretti (sorry if it's spelled wrong) in some awsome racing scenes. It really makes you feel like you're on-board the car. More than a few people have told me they've never experienced anything like it. Besides, it's a decent movie to sit through, since there are some parallel stories being told to keep your intrests up.

J

JasonLiu

I agree!

Sounds good- and honestly why not? There are a lot of great DVDs and even DVD audio choices out there. We can definitely add something to that section- nice to read about movies and videos for a change too! A lot of ML owners are HT owners too. Tom, if you are reading this, what do you think?

Robin

Reaction score
DVD's in the coming months...

DVD's are fantastic. I plan to review many more over the next few months... :D

Cheers

-Robin

Craig

Reaction score
I think that's a great idea. I'd like to suggest that there be at least 2 sections. I for movies and a second for "Live Music Perfomances". I have a 5.1 Martin Logan system and get much more out of it playing concert DVDs than I do movie DVDs. Movies I rent but concert DVDs I buy because I know I'll play them more often.

Robin

Reaction score
DVD's will be a change'n, but until then....

DVD's - as we know them, in their current form, will in-point-of-fact, be a change'n and fairly soon too... They will be Hi-Def, they will look and play very differently than they do now. All things concidered i. e., the techological advances and formate wars..., hopfully when the dust settles we will have, new and improved audio and video formates.
It's all good, though, as we will be able to hear the changes over the greatest speakers in the world... :D

Cheers

-Robin

Dolfin

Reaction score
Watched The Fifth Element presented in superbit and DTS on my theater last week.. it really gives your ENTIRE system a workout. For clarity and accuracy, nothing beats the Diva singing on plava laguna. Literally sends chills up your spine.

Oh, and I was watching it on an upsampling samsung dvd player @ 1080i on my plasma. WOW WOW WOW :D

SteveInNC

Reaction score
I remember seeing or reading about that scene. The director expected that they would have to fake or synthesize some of the vocals, given the range required. It turns out that the (real) opera singer that played that part actually sang the whole thing... she was that good...

This movie was a perfect example of marketing gone wrong. I avoided seeing the Fifth Element in the theater originally because the whole press kit seemed to be centered around the fact that the costumes were designed by Jean Paul Gautier. I assumed that if that was the best that they could come up with to describe the movie, it must really suck. I eventually saw it on HBO/SHO, and now it's one of my favorite movies.

Contrast this with the original Alien ad campaign: You saw a moonscape in space, along with the "in space, no one can hear you scream...", and the word "Alien" faded in. Unlike most ads that show the best scenes in the movie to draw you in, not a single frame from the movie was shown, so you really had no idea what the plot line was. Regardless, I and all of my friends were hooked and went to the first screening in town. It exceeded expectations IMHO.

Robin

Reaction score
The Fifth Element Rocks...

Dolfin and Steve,

I totally agree, The Fifth Element, is a great sounding movie, especially in DTS - "SuperBit", and on an up-scaled 1080i plasma screen... I plan to do a review of that movie soon. It's one of my fav's. I never knew that about the opera singer being soooo, good. I recommend it to my friends all the time. :D

Cheers

-Robin

SteveInNC

Reaction score
Robin said:
Dolfin and Steve,

I totally agree, The Fifth Element, is a great sounding movie, especially in DTS - "SuperBit", and on an up-scaled 1080i plasma screen...
My latest pet peeve: they keep releasing Superbit versions of movies that I've already bought. I don't particularly want to buy them again, given that XX months from now, I'll have to buy them yet again in HD...

Fifth Element is a particularly painful example because there are about five variants of the DVD already (Normal, Extended Version, Superbit, etc...)

Robin

Reaction score
SteveInNC said:
My latest pet peeve: they keep releasing Superbit versions of movies that I've already bought. I don't particularly want to buy them again, given that XX months from now, I'll have to buy them yet again in HD...

Fifth Element is a particularly painful example because there are about five variants of the DVD already (Normal, Extended Version, Superbit, etc...)
I agree, Steve, the lastest version of "The Fifth Element", on DVD is the "Ultimate Edition".

Form all of the money, which I have spent on my system, the greatest cost over-all is the amount of cash, I have spent on DVD's, SACD's, CD's, etc. :rolleyes: I estimate, I have spent over, $20,000.00 (USD), on the softwear of my system alone... Now, with Blue-Ray or HD-DVD's coming, I'll probably, end-up spending even more cash.

What am I going to do. It's an expensive hobby, but I love it... :D

Cheers

-Robin