RCA cable broke off - MLT-2 Subwoofer MLT2AL7000

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I’ve been having great experience using my MartinLogan MLT-2 subwoofer the last 7 years or so but I ran into an issue and I need some advice.

The RCA cable male end connection unfortunately broke off inside of the “Left In” input on the subwoofer. The male end is now completely dug inside of the subwoofer and I need help trying to dig it out. See pic attached.

I thought about unscrewing the panel to try and see if I could dig it out but I didn’t want to mess around with it until I got some better insight first.

I’m pretty illiterate when it comes to electronics and so I want to make absolutely sure I know what to do. MartinLogan wants me to buy a brand new $200 backplate from them but I'm trying to see if there's any other option.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated !

image1.jpeg

Very sharp screw, twist into it by hand, see if it'll grab the part enough to back out.

If there's a hollow, twist by hand increasingly larger drill bits until one with enough bite can grab and pull out. And don't forget about "leverage", leaning the bit to an angle. And of course if there is no hollow, just drill into it until the drill bit "grabs", then pull out.

Last edited:
Very sharp screw, twist into it by hand, see if it'll grab the part enough to back out.

If there's a hollow, twist by hand increasingly larger drill bits until one with enough bite can grab and pull out. And don't forget about "leverage", leaning the bit to an angle. And of course if there is no hollow, just drill into it until the drill bit "grabs", then pull out.
I doubt I have a sharp and/or small enough screw but I'll give it a shot.

There are people with skill that can do tasks like this. One of my engineering co-workers had this skill. He did part time camera lens repair. When a screw on my eye-glasses broke, he un-wound the small screw like a spring.

Try using a pair of small needle nose pliers. It might avoid damaging the plug.

I’ve been having great experience using my MartinLogan MLT-2 subwoofer the last 7 years or so but I ran into an issue and I need some advice.

The RCA cable male end connection unfortunately broke off inside of the “Left In” input on the subwoofer. The male end is now completely dug inside of the subwoofer and I need help trying to dig it out. See pic attached.

I thought about unscrewing the panel to try and see if I could dig it out but I didn’t want to mess around with it until I got some better insight first.

I’m pretty illiterate when it comes to electronics and so I want to make absolutely sure I know what to do. MartinLogan wants me to buy a brand new $200 backplate from them but I'm trying to see if there's any other option.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated !

View attachment 21332
Cannot really tell from the pic but does the stub of the plug that is stuck in the jack have a hole in it or is it solid?

If there is a hole, a long very thin screw might work but in either case I think the drill bit may be the best choice.

Opening the case to access the jack will likely not help since the back of the jack is closed.

Back