Random Picture and Video Thread

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
20hertz said:
Hi! I'm a new member.
I thought this would be as good a place as any for my first post.
The telemarketer audio link cracked me up. Thanks for the laughs!

At the top of this thread, kach22i posted a link of a F14 supersonic flyby.
Have any of you seen this one?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDDSveyzUXw

20hertz
That's not supposed to happen. :eek:

Robin said:
I want to learn "How Can I Tell You" on guitar. I'll Pick-up the words and music somewhere... Wonder what he's doing now?...
Robin,Cat's new album releases today,"An Other Cup",to not so stellar reviews.I'll still be picking it up he's one of my all-time favorites. I've been a fan ever since the movie "Harold and Maude",which Cat did the soundtrack to,I believe 1972? As far as I know there isn't a soundtrack album for the film,but the songs from the film can be found on his "Footsteps In The Dark" album.

LONDON (AFP) - Yusuf Islam, the artist formerly known as Cat Stevens before he became a Muslim in the 1970s, has released his first commercial album for nearly three decades -- but reviewers seemed unimpressed.
"An Other Cup" went on sale in along with a single, "Heaven/Where True Love Goes", while the album was to be released in the United States on Tuesday.

With his telegenic, part-Greek good looks, Stevens scored international hits in the 1960 and 1970s with songs like "Wild World", "Moonshadow" and "My Lady d'Arbanville".

But in 1977 he decided to hang up his guitar -- changing his name and retiring from it all after receiving a copy of the Koran, he pledged to devote his life to the Islamic faith.

The singer-songwriter -- who hit the headlines in 2004 when a US-bound plane he was in was diverted due to post-9/11 security measures -- said in a recent BBC television interview that the new record was a return to his roots.

"It's me, so it's going to sound like that of course ... This is the real thing," he said Monday.

"When my son brought the guitar back into the house, you know, that was the turning point. It opened a flood of, of new ideas and music which I think a lot of people would connect with."

Initial reviews of the new album were not over-enthusiastic, however.

"The voice that skipped through 'Moonshadow' is wearier but intact," said newspaper The Observer, giving the record two stars out of five.

"There are melodies that, like that track, ring both sweet and mournful but, though the songs are all praises to the Creator (or His prophet), there is little sense of joy. Mostly the mood is glum piety," it added.

And it added: "Surely, as he sings on 'Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood', Yusuf's 'intentions are good'. A pearly grin would help convince, though -- Cat Stevens had lots of those."

Rolling Stone music magazine's reviewer was less ambiguous.

"Back in the 70s, Cat Stevens was a bearded guy who tagged pop-friendly folkie melodies to barely sufferable hippie-isms. Then he became a devout Muslim, changed his name ... and stopped making pop records," it said.

Three decades later, "'Heaven/Where True Love Goes' sounds like it could have been the theme song to a family-friendly Eighties sitcom; elsewhere, Islam offers cheesed-out sweetness such as "Green Fields, Golden Sands."

"

Last edited:
Cat Stevens...

theWB,

Thanks for the info... :D I had no idea he was considering a come-back CD.
The Amazon customer reviews seem much better. I'll have to check this CD out further... :D

Attachments

• Foot Steps In The Dark.jpg
    Foot Steps In The Dark.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 369
An Other Cup

Robin, Listened to Cat's, umm Yusuf's new album today driving home from work.Really enjoyed the first 7 or 8 tracks my favorite was " I Think I See The Light" The voice is unmistakable,but not as strong as in his younger years.Haven't had a chance to listen on the Logans yet,But it's definatly worth a listen :)

Last edited:
Can People Really Live This Way?

These are rather unusual lodgings wouldn't you say? How could anyone live in a flat so small yet so high up? What must the acoustics be like for ML's? And I thought my HT was small... :eek:

Attachments

• Tokyo Humanoid Sleepquarters.jpg
    Tokyo Humanoid Sleepquarters.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 292
Another use for Distilled water !

Us analog guys use it on record cleaning procedure but I also use it in the production of "steam" on my Garden Railroad. Beautifull day here in Pa, so decided on a steam-up at Half time of football.

Attachments

• IMG_0589.JPG
    IMG_0589.JPG
    106 KB · Views: 281
  • IMG_0590.JPG
    IMG_0590.JPG
    85.8 KB · Views: 285
I swear Dave... I'm going to visit you and take a look at your RR myself!

Joey :cheers:

Company...

I swear Dave... I'm going to visit you and take a look at your RR myself!
Joey
Dave,

Beautiful Garden and Trains. :D
If it's OK... I'll have to visit your wonderful garden someday. :D
Maybe I'll bring along some friends as well... :D

Attachments

• My Friends in a Row.jpg
    My Friends in a Row.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 298
Joey, Robin, You're both welcome anytime you may be back east, just let me know. Oh, and Robin by all means bring your friends, I'll even let them blow the whistle !!! woo..woo...choo...choo !!!!

Dave,
I work about 20 minutes from the Lionel headquarters (I think it's still in Chesterfield Michigan). The last time I drove by it was a number of years ago.

Dave,
I work about 20 minutes from the Lionel headquarters (I think it's still in Chesterfield Michigan). The last time I drove by it was a number of years ago.

hey Bob, speaking of Lionel I had a treat this past summer while taking a cruise from Alaska, one of the "regulars" in the cigar lounge was a gentlemen whose name was also Bob, retired former VP of Sales for Lionel. Man was that a treat to be able to talk to him. In the pic I attached he is the one seated with the Pipe, and for you folks that are "gearheads" that's Marty Reid ESPN Motorsports standing on the right.

Attachments

• Picture 187.jpg
    Picture 187.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 265
What An Interesting Hobby...

Dave,

Such of a very fascinating hobby. It's like a whole wonderfully interesting society your apart of... :D My friends would be very interested...

Attachments

• My Blonde Ambition.jpg
    My Blonde Ambition.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 253
These are rather unusual lodgings wouldn't you say? How could anyone live in a flat so small yet so high up? What must the acoustics be like for ML's? And I thought my HT was small... :eek:

Robin,
Don't they remind you of the taxi driver's place in "The Fifth Element"?
Ben

Back