Rake setting on Vantage

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

Mrjb

I have heard that changing the sitting angle(not toe) on the vantages can improve the midrange. Any input on this?

Mrjb said:
I have heard that changing the sitting angle(not toe) on the vantages can improve the midrange. Any input on this?
Yep...had a good discussion with Joey that started with Toe-In but also discussed the angle of the panel. Changing the tilt of the panel will change the sound and it is hard to say which is best...as there is no "best", just what each of us prefer. Each person has his or her own preferences on which angle they like best. For me, I prefere them tilt back slightly with a very small amount of toe-in.

Dan

Last edited:
If you look at the Vantage and Summits side by side you'll notice that the rake angle is set back more on the Summits. I think most of ML models each have unique rake angles. It also helps to tilt the speakers back if you are tall or sit on elevated furniture and need to vertically raise the sweetspot.

Looking at my speakers from the side you could see that one was tilted back more than the other. The cause was an uneven adjustment on the spikes. I raised the speakers because they are sitting on thick carpet and the bottom woofer was too close to the carpet.

The most accurate way of adjusting the rake angle of a speaker and getting both speakers at the exact same rake angle is to use an Angle Level. With the angle level I found that my right speaker was sitting 2 degrees tilted back more than the left speaker. Just simply place one side of the angle level against the panel or the face of the speaker to get a reading and adjust the spikes or feet accordingly.

There was a noticeable improvement in midrange, soundstage and imaging after matching the rake angle of both speakers.

This is a good tweak for any speaker if your floor is not exactly level, they are sitting on carpet or an adjustment of the spikes/feet are not perfect.

Attachments

• Angle Level.jpg
    Angle Level.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 217
Last edited:
I agree with the above. It may not seem like a lot, 2 degrees, but it can and will make a difference. More or less depending on other factors like what speakers, crossovers, listening position, your chair, your room, etc....

The Wilson Audio setup procedure is very precise when it comes to things being level, and angled just right. It must be for a reason. :)

With my speakers, I do not use measurements - no tape measures, no angle measuring devices, etc. I sit and let my ears decide on the best setup for my room and my seating position.

craig said:
There was a noticeable improvement in midrange, soundstage and imaging .......
I agree 100%, when you get the angles and the distances setup right (not necessarily the same - but a good starting point), everything just locks in.

Dan

Latest posts

Back