Question

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

ARCVT100

I have listened to jazz on and off for several years and finally bought 3 Bill Evans Records. i love them! Now, are there any other recommendations along the Bill Evans line. I look the smooth Jazz from these albums, but don't know a lot about other artists in this genre
(sans horns).

This may not be the right place to post but I wasn't sure where else to post this question. Thanks in advance!

Something Against Horns

ARCVT100 said:
I have listened to jazz on and off for several years and finally bought 3 Bill Evans Records. i love them! Now, are there any other recommendations along the Bill Evans line. I look the smooth Jazz from these albums, but don't know a lot about other artists in this genre
(sans horns).

This may not be the right place to post but I wasn't sure where else to post this question. Thanks in advance!

Jazz is among my favorite styles of music, I know the following are not what you asked for but I love this music and you might also.

Try some things by Miles Davis such as <i>Miles Davis & Horns (Prestige LP 7025); Kind of Blue (Columbia CS 8163); Miles Davis & the Modern Jazz Giants (Prestige 7150)</i> also you might try some of the more accessible work by John Coltrane such as <i> Interpaly for Two Trumpets and Two Tenors (Fantasy OJC-292) and; Ballads (MCA-5885).</i> All of the above are pretty straight ahead but you may quickly develop a taste for some of the more esoteric styles i.e Sonny Rollins <i>Freedom Suite (Riverside OJC-067)</i> among others. These are all the vinyl editions.

More along the lines of what you asked for, though still not quite there in truth are any of the works by the <i>The Modern Jazz Quartet</i> this group featured John Lewis on piano; Milt Jackson on Vibraharp; Percy Heath on bass; and Connie Kay on Drums. Also consider some Thelonius Monk, a great pianist and the composer of 'Round Midnight.

Sonny Rollins - Saxophone Collosus SACD
Bill Evans - Moonbeams SACD - I like this one the best from Bill Evans by far, in case this was not one of the three you purchased
Patricia Barber - Nightclub SACD - if you like moody down tempo piano jazz with some great smoky, hazy vocals mixed in there, this one is supreme
Stan Getz & Joao Gilberto - Getz/Gilberto SACD
Dexter Gordon - Ballads - very nice compilation CD, or try his "Our Man in Paris" CD

Also

Miles Davis & Sonny Rollins did one collaboration - an Album called 'Dig'. Don't think you can get this on CD, vinyl only.

Cheers,

David

Back