question probably old, but building new home and need placement answers....

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jon7988

Reaction score
I have been away from the sight for awhile, glad to see some familiar names here again. Well, after 25 years in s. florida we are building a new home and while working with the main room which will be the music/HT room I am trying to figure out some placement issues.

The room is pretty good sized but poses some issues. The room is 24x17 withe the speakers front and back going on the 17 walls. There are 10ft ceilings but an additional 18" rise in a tray ceiling in the 24x17 room. the one side of this 24ft room is open (totally open other than the tray ceiling design-but totally open on the floor area to the kitchen and dining areas. So the room is in a sense 33.5x24 if that makes sense to invision it. the TV (a new 65" diamond mitsubishi 1080dlp will be built into the wall on the 17 wall and will have a slight 2 to 4" reveal off the wall, and the ML Asents to be placed right and left of the TV. Also 2 SVS subs on that wall (39 ultra cylinders) My wife wants to semi built in the Asents because there is a dedicated "media room" directly behind this 17 wall that runs almost the length of the 17 wall. Wouldn't that really hinder the sound of the Asents??? How close to the wall can they go??? when people talk about distance off the wall, are they referring to the distance from the bottom base, or the top panel??? there is quite a difference.
In all, how good or bad does this room seem to be for sound givin the size and open-ness of the area which is 33.5x24 even though the equipment room area is 24x17??? We are working right now on the plans with the architect so I have some flexability to make changes, but that needs to be the basis of the area pretty much. BTW the floors will be wood in the entire 33.5x24 area if that matters.

my equipment is (2) front asents (2) SVS ultra subs (2) aerius rears and (2) axiom QS-8 side top monted surrounds. Sunfire signature 2 channel and 5 channel amps and sunfire GT-4 processor.

The idea of "building in" the Logans seem to be bad I think??? and having them close to the wall is probably my best compromise - but what is too close??? any help or advise (or critisism) anyone can offer would really be appreciated on these upcoming challenges. These are some pretty big issues in trying to get the plans doneThe house is just noth of Daytona in flagler county and about 2500 s/f CBS. Thanks in advance - Jon :rocker:

Last edited:
I have been away from the sight for awhile, glad to see some familiar names here again. Well, after 25 years in s. florida we are building a new home and while working with the main room which will be the music/HT room I am trying to figure out some placement issues.

The room is pretty good sized but poses some issues. The room is 24x17 withe the speakers front and back going on the 17 walls. There are 10ft ceilings but an additional 18" rise in a tray ceiling in the 24x17 room. the one side of this 24ft room is open (totally open other than the tray ceiling design-but totally open on the floor area to the kitchen and dining areas. So the room is in a sense 33.5x24 if that makes sense to invision it. the TV (a new 65" diamond mitsubishi 1080dlp will be built into the wall on the 17 wall and will have a slight 2 to 4" reveal off the wall, and the ML Asents to be placed right and left of the TV. Also 2 SVS subs on that wall (39 ultra cylinders) My wife wants to semi built in the Asents because there is a dedicated "media room" directly behind this 17 wall that runs almost the length of the 17 wall. Wouldn't that really hinder the sound of the Asents??? How close to the wall can they go??? when people talk about distance off the wall, are they referring to the distance from the bottom base, or the top panel??? there is quite a difference.
In all, how good or bad does this room seem to be for sound givin the size and open-ness of the area which is 33.5x24 even though the equipment room area is 24x17??? We are working right now on the plans with the architect so I have some flexability to make changes, but that needs to be the basis of the area pretty much. BTW the floors will be wood in the entire 33.5x24 area if that matters.

my equipment is (2) front asents (2) SVS ultra subs (2) aerius rears and (2) axiom QS-8 side top monted surrounds. Sunfire signature 2 channel and 5 channel amps and sunfire GT-4 processor.

The idea of "building in" the Logans seem to be bad I think??? and having them close to the wall is probably my best compromise - but what is too close??? any help or advise (or critisism) anyone can offer would really be appreciated on these upcoming challenges. These are some pretty big issues in trying to get the plans doneThe house is just noth of Daytona in flagler county and about 2500 s/f CBS. Thanks in advance - Jon :rocker:

Hola Jon, and welcome again. Just my personal advise...the back wall is from the center of the stat panel. Usually is about 2 to 3 feet. As close you get to the wall, you loose 3D and the bass will be increased...so listen carefuly and choose the place your ears tell you. The place that you liked most. Your Ascent are great speakers and will deliver tons of pleasure and many hours of pure music...very good system!happy listening,
Roberto.

You definitely don't want to build in the Acscent ( nor any quality speaker for that matter). What's 3 feet between the panel and the wall? I hope your wife will understand.

Another option is to upgrade from the Ascent to the Vantage, which is significantly smaller while creating better sound, and does not take over the room as much as the Ascent. When your wife sees the difference, the she may accede. My wife does not like the Vantages, but she HATED the Ascents.

Additionally, one thing you should do is give a call to the room acoustics people at realtraps.com or acoustic sciences corp. (ASC). They can give you advice on the phone, and they deal with these issues every day. Not sure if you were considering room treatments, but since you have the luxury of building from scratch, you should do it right. Here's an interesting article from their site:

http://www.realtraps.com/art_room-setup.htm

Even if you don't get any room treatments, they can probably offer you good advice.

Best of luck!

Last edited:
Thanks guys, I have a pic (a bit of a crude one) hope it helps, it's hard to explain a room.

Picture.jpg

Last edited:
Hey Jon,

One of the issues that I think you will face is the unequal reflections of mid and high frequencies off the side walls since you are in effect missing one of your side walls. Is there any way you could extend a wall out from the room marked "Fire" out about 10 feet. That could help even out your 1st reflection points and rear wave bounce, which could improve imaging. Ideally, both of these walls would have some absorption as well to absorb the 1st reflection. If you can't put a wall there, then probably more absorption on the other wall would help to even out the sound.

The other issue you will have is bass response in such a large room. That could be helped with some bass trap absorption panels as well, but the WAF factor may preclude you from that. You may also want to experiment with some absorption panels on the walls behind your speakers to minimize your rear wave bounce in this room. Ultimately, you are just going to have to experiment with different things to figure out what works the best. I second the suggestion you call Ethan Winer at Real Traps. Those guys are great and will assist you. The other option is to post this drawing on the acoustics forum that he posts on over at audiocircle and see what he says. Good luck with it.

You should talk to JonFo. Maybe you should separate the panels from the woofers, as he did, then put in a lot of absorbing material behind the panels.

Latest posts

Back