Question for Krell power amp users

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
L

leaderc

I may have the chance this weekend to demo a pair of 350M monoblocks with my system. I was just wanting some opinions of Krell power amp owners of how you like them. My current power amp is a VTL ST-150, so I know it will be quite different from tubes. I presently have the Krell Showcase pre/pro and DVD player, speakers are: Ascent i's, Cinema, Clarity surrounds, Paradigm subs.

Thanks for any opinions,
Charles

I love my Krell and I only have a 400xi so a pair of monoblocks will sound simply awesome. I do not think you will be dissapointed.

leaderc said:
I may have the chance this weekend to demo a pair of 350M monoblocks with my system. I was just wanting some opinions of Krell power amp owners of how you like them. My current power amp is a VTL ST-150, so I know it will be quite different from tubes.
Being that you have the VTL-150, it will be interesting to see what YOU think about the Krell (tube sound versus the Krell SS sound). For myself, I liked the older KSA models compared to the newer FPB models. Which Krell's will you be auditioning?

With the Krell Amps, would you also have the chance to try out a Tube Pre with the SS Krells??? Like some others here, along with myself, we really like a Tube Pre with SS Main Amps. When I was auditioning some VTL Tube Amps (VT-75 & 150), I also auditioned some Bryston Amps (same store). The Bryston's were nice, but when matched up with the VTL Pre it was much better than when matched up with the Bryston Pre (SS pre).

These ideas are something for you to consider as you branch out to see what other equipment platforms sound like.

Dan

Last edited:
I will not have the chance to demo anything other than the power amp switch. Since 95% of my listening is HT not 2 channel, I have to have a pre/pro in front of them. Yes, it will be interesting, tubes certainly give a warmer sound, but sometimes a little too soft, but I've also heard Krell power amps can be a little 'in your face' so to speak, that's why I was soliciting opinions of others.

To the person who asked which model, it is a pair of 350M's, not the Mcx's, these are used amps.

I use the KRELL FPB-300 with the KRC-3 pre to drive my ML QuestZ:s.
I also use HT Pro9+ bi-wire and TruthLink XLR, which I think is a good match both to the KRELL:s and the ML:s.
I've had some Rotel gear (RB-991 2x200W) but that isn't worth mentioning compared to KRELL...
The sound is smooth and controlled with bass to die for...

I love my setup... :D

agreed Krell is bass , and the mono blocks will realy shine too , Im happy with mine :D

Hi Charles,

I use two FPB 400 cx for my e2 system. The Krells are powerfull and - that's important for MLs - they are fast because the electronical concept. For me ML needs Krell.

Frank

Thanks y'all for the input. After a long weekend of listening I went for them. They are powerful sounding, my biggest worry was them sounding too bright or too 'in your face', they were neither! I'm very pleased to be a Krell/ML owner now.

Charles

Back