Quest z biamp

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rawatch

Reaction score
Currently my system is:
Quest z
Depth I
Classe ca200 amp
Audible illusions mk3 preamp
I am biwiring speakers currently thinking to biamp with a tube amp (sub $1500) understand that there is no crossover components for the esl panel just the woofer speaker I think that a minidsp or Dbx unit would compromise the sound quality maybe use pass design active analog cover? And would the st120 tube amp from tube 4 hifi be a good pick?
Thanks for any help

I use the Bob Latino M-125 monos for my speakers, which really means that they run the panels due to self powered woofers, and they do an astounding job! I run them in Triode mode, lowest power, and they sound best in my system that way. So, yes, the ST120 will work well.

Before ordering, I was at first worried about power, but I haven't yet found what the limit is for these amps because the sound level gets too high for me to test any higher, but the sound is always great. Also, when I used my Krell amp for these speakers I found myself wanting to turn the volume up for more of the "loud" effect but the dynamics would start to plateau. With the tubes the speakers are always very dynamic and can get that "loud" effect without getting too loud - if that makes sense (?). My system also sounds excellent at very low volume, and I'm not used to having it both ways before.

FWIW I won't go back to using my Krell for these speakers, so I use it for surrounds.

Before jumping through hoops looking for an active-crossover, why not just go simple and passively bi-amp? I am currently bi-amping my ReQuests w/o active crossover and they sound wonderful. The ST120 tube amp will be fine for the panels.

Good Luck,
Spike

Before jumping through hoops looking for an active-crossover, why not just go simple and passively bi-amp? I am currently bi-amping my ReQuests w/o active crossover and they sound wonderful. The ST120 tube amp will be fine for the panels.

Good Luck,
Spike

Have you ever tested sap of active crossover

Have you ever tested sap of active crossover

I forego the active crossover for the reason that I want to keep things with regards to the signal path. Adding an active electronic crossover means that I will have to add another active component between preamp and amp. A MiniDSP will go through another stage of A-to-D and D-to-A unnecessarily. If I wanted to maintain the simplicity, I would have to modify to remove the crossover inside my ReQuest. The instructions are posted here on this MLO website, but I am not comfortable with doing surgery on my crossover.

Spike

I have similar to Quest hybrid Martin Logan. My speaker has biwire binding post and can be biamped too. I horizontal passive biamp classic 9. They sound great this way. Trying to bypass the internal crossover is not possible. Active biamplification seriously degrades performance. And is therefore not recommended.

Have fun listening to music.:music:

Last edited by a moderator:
I used Ayre MXRs monos with the Quests and they were eaten alive (watts are definitely different than current as we all know), they were good enough just for the panel. For the woofers used Bryston 21B monos, they were brilliant at handling the bass but did not have the musicality of the MXRs, these are old school speakers ... and benefit from bi-wiring and also bi-amping passively.

Latest posts

Back