quest to be different ... A complete rebuild of the Quest Loudspeaker

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AHHH , I knew that was coming ! ;)I will post pics explaining that soon. Its a sound foam on the box and the bottom back of the panel has a 3/4 inch by 3/16 thick Neoprene dampener like the factory uses on the top of the Quest !
Yeah, you know I'd be all over a re-do like this ;-)

Eagerly awaiting pics or a drawing to grok where and how much damping material went behind the panel.

If anything, it's this aspect of putting a panel right in front of a box that I feel is a challenge with recent ML designs. Specifically for centers (the Logos had no absoprtion and was horrible in terms of massive comb filtering and cancelations).

Turning a dipole into a monopole is not too hard, one just has to be carefull how.

Ill be in Vegas all this week. I will post the pictures up on the woofer box back and the back of the panel.

I have looked at several new things I will be doing soon !

Wow, that is great, especially the rails! I have the original quest speakers i recently purchased used and would someday re-finish the rails as I have the oak finish.

Wow, great DIY project.:bowdown:
The finishing is impeccable, nothing like my botches:eek:

If size/weight were not an object, I'd consider using very thick MDF for the cabinet, probably over 1".

Thanks , I have years of woodworking skills. I owned a Wood flooring business for many years.

I am gonna up load the interior pics of the panel mods soon !

I have a pair of Quest, that I love, but now need a new paintjob. I want at the same time lower the statorpanels a couple of inches.
Will this effect the sound, that the lower part of the playing panel, gets in front of the basscabinet? About 1,5-2 inches of the panel, will not have the free air/space on the backside, as the rest of the stator.

Will this effect the sound, that the lower part of the playing panel, gets in front of the basscabinet? About 1,5-2 inches of the panel, will not have the free air/space on the backside, as the rest of the stator
For that small amount, probably won't have much impact. But do place absorbent materials between the stator and the box so you don't wind up with reflection cancelation.

Back