Q: Vantage/Summit panels vs Vista panels vs Aeon-i panels

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ralflar

Reaction score
My Aeon i's are from Tweeter which means that I have the option of upgrading them to a better model within the next nine months. I think I prefer dual dedicated active subwoofers to built-in speaker woofers because I can place the former were they belong. Using the spikes also makes a big difference, which indicates to me that the vibrations induced into the speaker chassis by the lower bass frequencies leak into the reproduction of midrange frequencies, and are therefore detrimental to the overall performance. Using two separate powered subwoofers would allow me to high-pass filter the main speakers; if my theory is right that would improve the midrange of the Logans.

Anyway, the above is just the background to explain why the powered woofers of the Vantage/Summit represent little or no reason to upgrade, for me, now.

I do like the lower crossover frequency (270Hz) of the Summits, but Summits would stretch my budget. Vantage (400Hz) and Vista (450Hz) midrange cross-overs are close, however, and similar to the Aeon-i's.

So, if I used dual (e.g. Vandersteen 2Wq) subwoofers to take care of the bass below 60Hz or 80hz, and consequently only drove the Logans from 60 or 80 Hz upward, do you think the Vistas would be worth a 2k$ upgrade over the Aeon-is, or the Vantages the 1k$ premium over the Vistas? Remember, their woofers would only be used between 60/80 and 270/400/450 Hz.

In other words, how much of the Summit/Vantage/Vista/Aeon performance is in the woofer, and how much in the panels? (My room has vaulted ceilings but it is only 18'x11'.)

ralflar said:
So, if I used dual (e.g. Vandersteen 2Wq) subwoofers to take care of the bass below 60Hz or 80hz, and consequently only drove the Logans from 60 or 80 Hz upward
Your signal will be degraded going through 2 sets of passive crossovers to get to the panels. 1 set at the Vandersteen and another set (internal) at the Logans. Personally, I'd try to keep the part counts in the chain down to the minimum to maintain the intended sonic signature.

Spike

Signal integrity should not be compromised because the Vandersteens use an active crossover. Its high-pass section is inserted between pre- and power amp.

Taking the low bass out of the Logans would allow them to spend more time reproducing upper bass and lower mids more accurately because the cone is no longer driven to large excursions. Less vibrations would get injected into the frame.

So using subs like this should not only improve the bass but the midrange, too, IMO

Back