PSU for Theater i (aftermarket)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChevyDK

Reaction score
Hello
I am trying to source a PSU for a ML Theater i center speaker.
I asked the local importer and got this figure 305,70$!!
Crazy figure for that simple a powersupply.
Can someone guide me into the powersupply detail:

voltage, power, conector size, polarity of connector etc.
Link to an aftermarket PSU or any other support in this matter.
I am getting desperate finding a PSU, so any speedy help appreciated.

Hola ChevyDK,

https://www.martinlogan.com/uploads/documents/manuals/manual_theater_i.pdf
On page 4, there is a pic of the back plate. There states that you are able to use any power supply from DC 15V to 18V @ .8 to 1A. Any switching power supply will do to match these specs. The center pin is +. I do not understand how a dealer can charge that exorbitant amount of money for a device that are easy to find at any electronic center.

Happy listening!

I challenged the importer, that it only cost around 35$
He replied that it was the internal part he quoted. He then gave a new quote of 50$

On page 4, there is a pic of the back plate. There states that you are able to use any power supply from DC 15V to 18V @ .8 to 1A. Any switching power supply will do to match these specs. The center pin is +. I do not understand how a dealer can charge that exorbitant amount of money for a device that are easy to find at any electronic center.

You beat me to it. One minor correction: the minimum DC is 0.08 Amps.
It should be printed on the back plate too. There are probably safety regulations about labeling all plugs on consumer electronics.

The PSU that came with my Theos is not very big (15VDC, 0.4A but it uses even less) and has a 5.5mm * 2.1mm barrel plug (datasheet attached). If you are not sure what size you can buy a universal adapter that comes with an assortment of sizes, or just ask ML if they all use the same size.

Attachments

• 534cf570e34e2406135f4717.pdf
    52.6 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
I amusing a Wyred 4 Sound PS-1 Modular Linear Power Supply for a pair of Theos, Motif X center, and Musical Fidelity phono preamp. It works very well and it's easier to justify the cost by using all four of its' power modules.

PS-1 Modular Linear Power Supply | Wyred 4 Sound
Looks to be one hell of a PSU, but how do you rate the difference it makes to the sound?

The sound improvement is a bit more transparency/less congestion in sound from the stat panels.

Hola ChevyDK,

On page 4, there is a pic of the back plate. There, states that you are able to use any power supply from DC 15V to 18V @ .08 to 1A. Any switching power supply will do to match these specs. The center pin is +. I do not understand how a dealer can charge that exorbitant amount of money for a device that are easy to find at any electronic center.

Happy listening!

Thanks for pointing me an error. Yes you are right, it is from .08mA...

Happy listening!

Back