Ps3

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robin

Reaction score

Attachments

• sony-announces-ps3-setbacks-20060906111737962.jpg
    sony-announces-ps3-setbacks-20060906111737962.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 176
Yep, Yep.

Two versions of the system coming out, 20GB HDD version for $499 and a $599 version with a 60GB HDD, Card reader, and Wifi. Both systems will play Blu-Ray movies, PS1, PS2 and PS3 games and have a HDMI 1.3 port.

They will be very hard to find this Christmas, only 500,000 units are launching this November, 100,000 for Japan and 400,000 for the US and Canada.

Also Microsoft is releasing their Xbox 360 HD-DVD add on drive this November. Official launch date has not yet been given (other then this November), expect it to launch close to the PS3’s November 17 release date. The HD-DVD add on will retail for $199.99 US and come with a remote and a copy of Peter Jackson’s King Kong HD-DVD.

Last edited:
A colleague has an Xbox 360. He says Noise Alert - apparently the thing produces a lot of heat and fan noise. Hopefully the PS2 will be better in that regard. I can't imagine a disk player which doubles as a vacuum cleaner, noise-wise.

OTOH the HD-DVD option sounds more attractive as of now, due to better and more available software. BlueRay will catch on eventually but it may take a while. Well, I can wait.

Yes it’s true the Xbox 360 does produce a lot of heat and noise. There are two fans locate on the back of the unit that are thermally controlled. If you keep the X360 out in a open area it can be pretty quiet, but if you enclose it in a rack or a tight area the fans will spin up all the way and the system can be very loud. I am working on Moding my X360 to be internally water cooled, not to reduce its heat so much but so it will be whisper quiet.

IGN.com’s PS3 channel was given a PS3 development system to play with for a day and did comment on the heat and fan noise of the Playstation 3 saying it system was only warm to the touch and was very quiet, the air being expelled out the back of the PS3 was only warm and not HOT! Like the X360.

With Blu-Ray its not so much the lack of software that is setting it back but the lack of a working 50GB dual layer disk and an advanced codic. 95% of the Blu-Ray movies out there don’t look any better than a standard DVD upscale. It’s hard to justify buying into Blu-Ray with its high player prices at $1000 plus and expensive software. So far HD DVD has been cheaper and offered better quality of movies over Blu-Ray. If Blu-Ray can step up and offer better quality movies then HD DVD I don’t have a problem paying the extra money. I hope those people out there buying a PS3 as a Blu-Ray player 1st and a gaming console 2nd aren’t too disappointed come this November the 17th.

PS3 Formats
Find out what types of media Sony's new beast supports.

October 26, 2006 - Sony is clearly intent on making the PS3 the all-in-one hub for your home entertainment. A new list of media formats supported by the system right out of the box includes a variety of hard and digital formats, and should satisfy the needs of just about everyone.

The hard media has been known for some time, but here's the full list.

BD-ROM

BD-R

BD-RE

DVD-ROM

DVD-R

DVD-RW

DVD+R

DVD+RW

CD-ROM

CD-R

CD-RW

Super Audio CD

The PS3 will also allow you to access a variety of media file formats from the video, music and photo menus of the Cross Media Bar. We're assuming these files can be stored anywhere, including the hard disk and memory cards.

VIDEO

MPEG-1

MPEG-2 (PS,TS)

H.264/MEPG-4 AVC

MPEG-4 SP

MUSIC

ATRAC (.oma .msa .aa3)

AAC (.3gp .mp4)

MP3 (.mp3)

WAV (.wav)

IMAGES

JPEG

GIF

PNG

TIFF

BMP

We'll be sure and put all these formats to the test once (if?) we get our launch units.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/742/742009p1.html

Last edited:
PS3... And Then Sony's Blue-Ray Player...

Joe,

Thanks for posting all the format - both audio and video that the PS3 will be offering. My son appreciates the information as well and the link. :D

As for me, I now have very high expectations for the new Sony Blue-Ray player, which will cost $1000. :eek: I'm not expecting all the formats of the PS3 $599.00 system but I am expecting something special for an exciting HT experience. For Audio ~ HDMI 1.3 with HD-DTS HD-True for killer HD sound. For Video ~ I am expecting the Sony Blue-Ray player to be equipped with the very latest and greatest, more expensive super-video, higher-quality, video micro-chip for a vastly clearer HD Blue-Ray video picture in all formats especially - 1080p. At least a Blue-Ray player, which is much better than Toshiba's HD-DVD (Red-Ray) current models. If Sony can pull-out all the stops for PS3, I just hope they give us something extra special for HT is their new, long awaited Blue-Ray player and not just because it costs $400 more than the PS3 but because all good things come to those that wait... :D

Attachments

• Sony Blue-Ray Player.jpg
    Sony Blue-Ray Player.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 95
Sony Corp. ~ What Will They Do?

Joe,

:) Have you herd anything about Sony's Blue-Ray? Will it have any of the above 'Audio / Video goodies', which I listed in my previous post? What have you herd? or What is your best guess? :D

First a question for you. Why did you call HD-DVD “Red-Ray”? :confused:

The specs for the Sony BDP-S1 are as follows.

Blu-ray Disc / DVD Playback2
Video Codec Format : MPEG2/MPEG4-AVC/VC-1
Full HD 1080p Video Output through HDMI connection1
DVD Upscaling to 1080p3
Picture Mode Settings
Uncompressed Multi Channel Linear PCM Output
Dolby® Digital Plus(Dolby® Digital audio stream only), Dolby® TrueHD (Dolby® Digital audio stream only) dts®-HD --- (dts audio stream only) Digital Out and decoding capability
Dolby® Digital and dts® 5.1channel Output
Multi Channel 192KHz/24bit Audio D/A Converters
Rigid Beam Construction
Separated Audio Circuit Board
Highly Tuned Audio Parts
Drive Bracket for stability of drive system
Individual Speaker Setting
Off Center Insulator Feet
BD-Java Interactive Capability5
Pop up Menu
Quick Set Up
FL Off/Dimmer Mode
Screen Saver
MP3 and JPEG Playback from DVD Media4
Parental Control
IR In
Multi Brand TV Control Remote
Sophisticated Box Design with blue glass front

The Sony Blu-ray player should be a good player if it ever gets released :(. As of right now it has been delayed till December 9, but I don’t think it will see the light of day till early next year. Sony has been having production problems with there PlayStation 3. There is a worldwide shortage of the blue laser diodes and Sony is buying up every one they can to try and meet demand for the PS3. Until Sony can meet its demand for the PS3 I don’t see them releasing the BDP-S1 (but we will see) Sony’s explanation for this delay is because of a software issue in the player and not hardware.

Pioneer’s Blu-Ray player is said to release any week now. Pioneers player was built with the help of Sony engineers and is said to be very close in design to the Sony BDP-S1. If you did not want to wait for the Sony player the Pioneer could be a good alternative.

I currently own the Toshiba HD-A1 HD DVD player and about 25 movies and could not be happier with it :D. The audio and video is spectacular! As of right now I don’t plan on getting a stand-alone Blu-Ray player unless Blu-Ray takes off as a format. I will have the PS3 in about three weeks and look forward to comparing its Blu-Ray performance to my HD-DVD player. In all honesty Toshibas HD DVD format turned out better then I ever thought it would and is a wonderful format I can and will defiantly recommend. Both Hi-Def formats look to be good and I don’t really care which one wins this wars as long as one format wins because now that I have gone Hi Definition I cant go back. Standard DVD SUCKS! :p

Great Information...

Joe,

Once again, excellent information on the up-coming Sony Blue-Ray player. ;)

I was under the impression that HD-DVD was Red-Ray and Blue-Ray was Blue but I was wrong... Regular DVD's and CD's are Red lasers(Red-Ray). Where as Blue-Ray and HD-DVD are both Blue (narrow beam) lasers(Blue-Ray)... :eek:

http://www.supinfo-projects.com/fr/2006/hd_blu_en/2/

Excellent information about HD and Pioneer as well. :D

Robin said:
Joe,

Once again, excellent information on the up-coming Sony Blue-Ray player. ;)

I was under the impression that HD-DVD was Red-Ray and Blue-Ray was Blue but I was wrong... Regular DVD's and CD's are Red lasers(Red-Ray). Where as Blue-Ray and HD-DVD are both Blue (narrow beam) lasers(Blue-Ray)... :eek:

http://www.supinfo-projects.com/fr/2006/hd_blu_en/2/

Excellent information about HD and Pioneer as well. :D
That’s correct; Blu-Ray and HD-DVD are both blue laser formats. The major difference is Blu-Ray is using more pits on the disk to store more information, but has to use a thinner protective coating on the information side of the disk. HD DVD is storing as much information as it can without going to a thinner layer. Because of Toshiba using the same disk thickness as a regular DVD they are limited to 15GB a layer and 3 layers for a total of 45GB of information. Blu-Ray with its thinner coating can hold 25GB on a single layer and Sony clams they can go up to as much as 6 layers for a total of 200GB disks. ;)

Back