PS Audio Powerplant?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joey_V

Reaction score
Hello all!

I was wondering if anyone here has any good or bad stories to share regarding the PowerPlants that do AC regeneration and Voltage stabilization. I was looking at the PSAudio P600 or P1000 as possible foundations on which I connect my entire system instead of the current Monster 3500mk2 that I got last year.

The current/voltage in my dorm is very bad as I noticed on the Monster's voltage meter that I am running a varied amount of rms voltage, from 115v to 125v randomly. Not to mention that I have had problems in which bulbs randomy AND prematurely blow out (light bulbs).

Let me know guys...

Here are pics, since we all LOVE pics:
(P1000)
60-add1Large.jpg

60-add2Large.jpg

(P600)
29_8.jpg

Thanks guys,
Joey

Joey-

I am a huge believer in power conditioners. I use Richard Gray 1200S. All my equipment (except amp) plugs into it. From there I go into a Richard Gray Substation 240v. The Substation is a stepdown transformer at the point. I have tried Tice (when they were in buisness), Richard Gray and Chang Lightspeed. They all do something, first I have found it system dependent and personal taste. I can tell you what the Richard Gray stuff has done is simply amazing. Even living in a house I found that at busy times of the day (4pm to 6pm) the system did not sound as it would earlier or later in the day.
Let me know what you think..
I have not heard them but the bluecircle.com product are balanced as well and are priced well. Gilbert is always fun to talk with. I bought his BC 68 power cables for the Summits.

Richard Gray Power comany is great to deal with. Call Dick McCarthy he will tell you more than you want to hear about.

Richard "Dick" McCarthy
President
RICHARD GRAY'S POWER COMPANY, LLC
2727 Prytania Street, Suite 6
New Orleans, LA 70130
504-247 0300 (Ext 8110) - Local Land Line
[email protected]
www.richardgrayspowercompany.com

pics as you all love...

Last edited:
and one more...

Last edited:
I am a huge believer in power conditioning, but I don't know what difference (if any) you will hear with the PS Audio system as opposed to your current Monster one.

Joey, Touch base with your neighbor "Cherian", I do believe that's his forte'

Here's the answer from Jim Power at Martin Logan as I asked him about the PS Audio powerplants last week. Here it is -

Since the speakers are internally regulated, there may be only minor
improvements with external power regulation and conditioning. If you do
use one, make sure that it still operates at the correct (60 hz) line
frequency. Some versions allow for a variable frequency which causes
the
Martin Logans to switch off. No harm done, just very little sound from
the electrostatic panel.
Hope this helps.
jp

I am thinking on purchasing the APC S-15 conditioner in the future along with the already mentioned BC 68 powercords.

Last edited:
Zip (Joe) should be of some help.

Dan

Yes I can!:)

I have owned a Monstercable HTP-5000 mkII, Monstercable HTPS-7000SS, Monster power bar 1100, and I now own a PS audio P1000 and P500 power plants.

The P1000 is driving the front end of my system, Ascents, Theater center, DVD players, Anthem Statement D1, Sunfire Theater grand, all my gaming system, etc. etc. The P500 is dedicated to powering my projector Sony VPL-HS51A.

I too am a firm believer in power conditioning, and not just surge protection but cleaning and conditioning the power with filters or in the power plants case regenerating it clean and with a good sign wave. Monstercable makes a good power conditioner but they are pricey, and the cheap power bars don’t do a whole lot as far as power conditioning. The 5000 made a fairly larger difference in audio and video quality and the 7000SS took my systems a few notches higher when I replaced the 5000 for the 7000SS. I will definitely give the HTPS-7000SS a recommendation to anyone, it’s a good product.

The P1000 has been a double edge sward for me. As soon as I unplugged the 7000SS and plugged in the P1000 it was apparent that the P1000 definitely took my audio quality to another level. I gave the P1000 a day to warm up and sat back to see what it could do? The P1000 didn’t just drop the noise floor a little it pulled detail out of my music I didn’t even know I was missing. Audio quality is far better with the P1000 then it was for the monster 7000SS.

Unfortunately on the video side of my system the black levels have dropped a little and the picture is not as sharp as it was, the picture is much smother and more natural looking but I lots my inky blacks. The down side to the Power plants is the components are not isolated from each other. Monster has a filter on each power port to isolate each piece of gear from each other the power plants do not, this is why I think my Video has dropped a little, the interaction from the audio and video components. Ps Audio has a new power plant coming out the power plant premier that will have filters isolating each component like the monster and produce up to 1500 watts of power.

For an audio only system I recommend the P1000. For someone into home theater I recommend you take a look at the power plat premier.

Joe,

Do you keep the PS Audio 1000 running at 60 HZ with the Ascents plugged into it, or do you venture higher.

PS Audio Power Plant with the Summit

Hi Joey:
I recently purchased a PS Audio Power Plant 500. It replaced a Chang Lightspeed power conditioner. I am very happy with the improvements in the clarity and imaging. I have the Summits, amp, preamp, and CD player plugged in to the regenerated outlets. The TV and DVD player are plugged in to the filtered outlets. Check out the pictures of my system by clicking on the link in my signature block (go to the bottom of page 2 for the best picture).

By the way, PS Audio (http://psaudio.com) has come out with a new model. It seems that some people always need to have the latest and greatest ;), so you should be able to get a good deal on an older model.

Last edited:
I would like to say, Joe.... you are the man!

Regarding the Gray's powerplant mentioned by jtwrace, I like, I like!

Regarding the PS1000 (or 600), there was indeed a clear improvement in sound right? Like if you A/Bed the two, there would be a definite, I'm willing to put my life on the line "difference" right?

I think this will benefit my system as a whole and I'm looking forward to learning more about this potential "next" upgrade.

Great.... now the Transporter will have to be pushed back.

Joey :(

What is the point of altering / increasing the sine wave frequency?

This should help answer your question.:musicnote:

PS Audio.com said:
Perhaps the second most exciting aspect of the P1000 is the introduction of MultiWave II, TubeWave and AutoWave. MutliWave II and TubeWave are now available as an upgrade for all Power Plant owners. AutoWave is a feature exclusive to both the P500 and P1000 Power Plants.

MultiWave II is the next generation of power delivery waveforms. What comes out of your wall socket AC receptacle is a sinewave. A sinewave moves from plus to minus and back again once every 60th of a second in North America and once every 50th of a second in many parts of the world.

This alternating current is what powers virtually every home in the world and while it does a good job of keeping our equipment running, there is a better way available to us if we can generate our own power. Every Power Plant owner in the world has the ability to generate their own power and MultiWave is, in many cases, better than the standard “missionary positioned” sinewaves.

PS audio.com said:
Perfect AC was the first step
Once we had introduced the Power Plant concept to the world we next unveiled a new power scheme known as MultiWave.

MultiWave I took advantage of the Power Plant’s ability to both power equipment at frequencies other than the standard of 50 or 60Hz and to generate multiple waves at the same time. Many Power Plant owners quickly realized the sonic and visual benefits of operating their equipment at higher frequencies and adding multiple waveforms together: lower noise, less power supply ripple, better charging of the capacitors in your equipment, reduced magnetic fields in powered equipment and an effective increase in power supply capacitance.

Since no one frequency was best at improving every aspect of the system’s performance, MultiWave addressed that problem by adding two or more frequencies in sequence. First there would be a 50Hz sinewave, followed by a 120 Hz sinewave, and then back to 50Hz again.

The Power Plants used these sequences of fixed frequencies, along with a waveform called the 'Partial Square' (PS2) that, together, gave a better overall performance to the connected equipment. MultiWave I was a revolution not unlike the Power Plant itself.

Joe,

Why is it that the new PowerPlant premier is smaller than the PS1000 and they claim it to be better?

Seems to me like it cant be true...

Joey

Hi guys,

Thought I'd add my two cents worth here. The main problem Joey seems to be facing is voltage instability. In this instance, the PS1000 regenerator should be of great help here in supplying a consistent voltage to the system. The Richard Grays do not cure an inconsistent voltage supply (though it does offer protection against voltage surge), but can effectively lower the noise floor of the system, thus increasing the dynamic range. Its effect on video is just as dramatic, displaying richer hues and increasing contrast as well (on my CRT projector). Designed to work parallel circuit-wise in any system, they can be plugged into the PS1000 at the same time. The problem some conditioners present is that because they work in-line in the system, there's a limit to power output available, especially for power amps. The RGrays avoid that.

The PS1000 together with the RGPC give you the best of both worlds.

Ben

Last edited:
Joe,

Why is it that the new PowerPlant premier is smaller than the PS1000 and they claim it to be better?

Seems to me like it cant be true...

Joey

Ok, here is where it gets complicated.

Yes you will notice a difference with the P1000, I will bet my life on it.

One thing you need to make sure is if your system can handle the P1000? The P1000 can output about 700 watts RMS of power and up to 1000 watts short duration. The power plants are basically amplifiers; they take AC out of the wall convert it to DC and back to AC again. It’s when it turn the DC back to AC the PP regenerates the power clean with out noise and power surges. The big down side to this is its very inefficient about 50%.

The power plant premier is different.
I don’t have all the facts on the premier but from what I can see the premier has filters like PS audio’s ultimate outlets on each power port to condition the power and isolate your components from each other. It doesn’t appear to be regenerating power anymore but adding and subtracting power to give you a steady 120 volts. So its basically Monster cables HTPS-7000 and there AVS-2000 voltage stabilizer in one box. The premier is also 85% efficient, so it will consume less power.

A few people on Ps Audio’s forum have Bata tested the premier and have said it did sound better then there P1000’s. Also all the power plants but the premier output balanced power. Some time next year I am going to order a PPP and A/B it to my P1000 and keep the better unit, until then? I don’t know.

Thanks Joe!

Though some part of me would like to believe that the P1000 or P1200 would be the better component mainly due to sheer size and overall "cool factor". Ah well.... we shall see.

Joey

It definitely gets the looks. I updated my system photos; there is now a photo of the P1000 if you want to see it?

PS Audio has their new power plant the premier coming and a new power conditioner the quintessence. The two are built in the same chassis, look identical and have the same filtering. The only difference is the premier has power regeneration. I had thought about just getting a quintessence for its filtering and component isolation, plugging that in to the P1000 and all my gear into the quintessence. I think the P1000/1200 would be better regenerators then the premier, but the premier’s filters give it the ability to isolate your digital, analog and video components from each other and limit there interaction giving it an advantage over the older PP.

In my option the only way to know which is better is to A/B them both, some people my prefer the P1000, some my like the premier better and it may come down to how your system reacts to each unit some gear may perform better with one unit over the other.

Latest posts

Back