PS Audio Powerplant?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The P1000 and similar suck power like a camel after 30 days in the desert. They are actually class A/B amplifiers delivering just one continuous frequency: 50 / 60 Hz, with the typical 50-60% efficiency of that class. A P1000 will make your electricity bill look like the winning ticket in a lottery, just with a minus sign before the won amount. The new PPP is a different kind of beast, promising a 85% efficiency, and a full load of gimmicks to go with it.

This should help answer your question.:musicnote:

Thanks for this - very interesting. So even though the equipment is designed for a particular frequency, there are benefits in increasing this. Have you noticed these in your own system?

Thanks for this - very interesting. So even though the equipment is designed for a particular frequency, there are benefits in increasing this. Have you noticed these in your own system?

I have played with it a little and have notice some change in sound. Martin Logan ESL’s down like a sign wave over 69 Hz so to play with anything higher I would have to take my Logan’s off the regenerated side and power them from the filtered side. Something I may try in the near future.

PS Audio.com said:
Every Power Plant has always had the ability for the user to choose a frequency that best suits his systems needs, or perhaps used as a motor controller for an AC synchronous turntable.

Why would you want to change the frequency from the traditional 50 or 60Hz every person on the planet is stuck with? Simple: 60Hz may be a convenient frequency for your power company to deliver power to your home, but 60 or 50 Hz definitely is not the optimal frequency to run most equipment if we place performance foremost in our mind set.

In fact, most power transformers have lower levels of radiated magnetic fields at higher frequencies. Power supply capacitors make smoother voltages when operated at higher frequencies and so forth.

The new P1000 Power Plant offers its owners an increased level of fine adjustment of these frequencies. Now, Power Plant owners can adjust the frequency of the Power Plant in 0.0625 Hz steps from 50 Hz all the way to 120 Hz.

Finer control offers the user a greater possibility of maximizing his individual system’s performance.

I have played with it a little and have notice some change in sound. Martin Logan ESL’s down like a sign wave over 69 Hz so to play with anything higher I would have to take my Logan’s off the regenerated side and power them from the filtered side. Something I may try in the near future.

Make sure you post the results of your experiment! How high can you / would you go?

If a higher frequency gives better sound, Americans are lucky to get 60Hz. Poor Europeans lose out by default as they only get 50Hz...

Nah.

No offense meant. I am a natural skeptic. I do use power conditioners (three so far) for protection and cable management, but I have not been curious enough to run my equipment without it. I am not worthy of being called an engineer.

Back