PS Audio Gizmo

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Zip3kx07 said:
If you have not I suggest you watch the Ps Audio video on the Noise harvester. It will answer a lot of your questions. How it works.
"The Noise Harvester™ is a plug in module that can be placed on any AC receptacle. Once connected, the Noise Harvester begins to harvest and redirect the AC line noise into a storage tank and then converts it to light!"

Light = Kill. Noise is gone.
I've seen the video, thanks for the link, but I'm more interested in how you actually measure the NH benefit in your system...or is it purely subjective?

Zip3kx07 said:
The smile on my face.

Ear to ear equals good sound. :D
Yeah, that's what I thought, thx for the objective confirmation :)

Genesis said:
Yeah, that's what I thought, thx for the objective confirmation :)
I have been in this hobby for about half of my life, and if I have learned anything its most of the published spec sheet’s on audio components aren’t worth the toilet paper there printed on. They are getting better and more accurate to what the product can do thanks to websites like Secrets that test every component. I trust my ears to tell me what a good audio product is and not my eyes and a piece of paper with published spec’s. Don’t get all caught up in numbers. This AV were talking about it’s not rocket science, were not going to the moon, were enjoying music and movies.

Enjoyment is what this hobby is all about. ;)

Last edited:
Try Ebay as well for the Powervar units

Thanks to Cherian, I had 3 of these units in my system months ago. You guys are way behind :D. I bought the largest unit for most of the components (2 preamps, CD, phono pre, monoblocks, etc.), a 4-outlet unit for one Ascent and the Depth sub since they are close to each other, and a 2-outlet unit for the other Ascent. Keep checking Ebay for these. The smaller units can be had very cheap. (Some of the same people sell on both Ebay and Agon). Only downside to the big unit is you can hear it hum a bit when you get close. It is one large, heavy mother.

mondoribo, glad to hear that you like the Powervar units. I have been working for Powervar for over 14 years now. I am very sure you have units I designed. Yes, all transformers humm. The power conditioner I designed for ETA systems is much more silent. This unit I designed for the pro audio market so audible hummm was not in the design spec but I knew I would be bringing one home so I made it ultra silent.

Next up: UPS for HTS

Hi Cherian,
Between the Powervar and the TAD-1000 monoblocks with the huge transformers, I've got more humming on my shelf than a barbershop quartet. Fortunately, they are all on the other side of the room from my speakers. so I don't hear the mechanical hum. But there is a slight hum coming through the speakers when no music is playing. I have not done the 2 minute experiment to see if the speaker hum is coming from the Powervar or the monoblocks, but I will eventually. Right now, its summertime here in New England so I have put all audio tweaking on hold in favor of yard work, travel, Red Sox baseball and beer consumption.
One thing we do have in my area west of Boston are lots of power outages. Every time the power goes, I lose the settings on my HT receiver (Rotel RSX-972 (75W/channel, all channels driven)), and I have to reprogram them in via the remote, which is a pain in the butt. So I am thinking about a UPS and power conditioner that can handle this receiver along with a few other satellite boxes and DVD player. Let me know if you have any suggestions that won't break the bank, since this is a mid-fi system.
Jon aka mondoribo

You are going to need an 800VA ups for this application. The Powervar model ABCE800-11 will work well for this application. The output of this unit goes through and isolation transformer and filter. So you get power conditioning as well. This unit will give you over 30 to 50 mins of back up time if you are not using your receiver during the outage. I have seen this item on ebay sell as low as $50.00. If you get one and it needs new batteries and a tune up just drop me a line and I can get it done for you for free. Good luck.

Thanks, I'll keep my eye out for one on Ebay. Nothing there right now except an ABCE500-11.
Jon

Back