prodigy vs. summit

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gstring

Reaction score
Has anyone had a chance to listen to both the prodigy and summit speakers? I would be surious to your thoughts. How does the prodigy compare to the summits?

I'd like to know myself.

I would surmise the Summit is more explosive and dynamic top to bottom..more live and unrestricted.

Barbados said:
I'd like to know myself.

I would surmise the Summit is more explosive and dynamic top to bottom..more live and unrestricted.

Those would be my thoughts exactly. Maybe slightly smoother. It would nice to hear real world experiences.

I had listen both, in different rooms, but I think the differences are clear: Summit is far better, faster above all, more open, like a clean cup of wine (in the Prodigy's the cup had a thin cap of powder), the separation between instruments is better in the Summit's, a great difference is the bass, fast and controled, and at a very high level, like a reference electrodinamic loudspeaker. Better integration between panel and woofer. Same musical, fatigue free sound. Nothing in the worse part.

A photo from Spain. A pair of dark cherry will reign soon in my living room.

Best regards.

CE,

Make sure to post pics when you get them... btw, your living room will be happy to see your Summits grace it with their presence. :)

Any other Prodigy vs Summit impressions?

Chordeater, did you ever get the impression that the built in amplifier for the summit woofers just wasn't enough to get everything out of them?

Just curious as 400 watts seems a little low for those long throw woofers cramped into those little boxes.

I am new in the forum today, but have heard both Summit and Prodigy.
That was the reason I bought my Aeon i speakers. (due to small room, that was my only choise really)

The Prodigys throw a much larger soundstage and in my opinion darker, but very nice and you can play very loud without fatigue.
The bad thing is the bass, not even close to the Summits fast detailed tight bass.
If you have a large room though, it might work better than in the room I heard them in.
The sound I heard from the Summits was INCREDIBLE in another way than size, the PRECENCE of the singer was UNBELIAVABLE!

The two models have different strengths and I belive the room and what kind of amp you have are factors that will decide what speaker is the best for you.

Barbados said:
Chordeater, did you ever get the impression that the built in amplifier for the summit woofers just wasn't enough to get everything out of them?

Just curious as 400 watts seems a little low for those long throw woofers cramped into those little boxes.

Barbados, my impression was that the woofers had the exact blend between "demolition" bass and perfect control. 400 watts without any other parameter (impedance, sensitivity, damping factor ...) don't say so much.

I must say that I'm totally crazy about the Summits. There are Summit's and there are the rest of the speakers in the world (well, I didn't hear all, ... but now is not necessary at all!)

Regards.

Barbados,
I think a pair of 400 watt monoblocks is pretty darn hefty.

all of you know my love for ML sound...

Hola chicos. All of you know how crazy I am regarding ML sound. You do know that I still have a pair of Prodigies and my CLS IIz. I do love both, but the new Summits are awakesome. The Summits are more dynamic, and produce bigger scenario than my Prodigies. The new panels are better in dispersion and timbre. To my ears also, they are more fun to use. The bass are just right...they are the dream of any audiophile, because you can tune any room and take away the bad low frequency resonance, and besides of that, you have truly 800 watts just for bass only. They are a totally different product and to my ears, are the best sound for the money that I had ever heard. Understand this, I'm not saying that the Prodigy is a bad speaker...no sirs, still is one of the best around, but the Summits are far better. Why? IMHO you can use to drive the Summits with a better small sounding amplifier than the one that I need to drive the Prodigy. We all know, and I don't know why is this, the smaller amplfiers are better, warmer, right with the size and more transparent than bigger amps. To drive the Prodigy you need a big amp, the small amp will not ...also it is true that there are just a few amps that have big power and sounds right, but you have to search a lot and pay some good money for them. Some of you could desagree with me, and it is ok, it is my perception and my liking. Some of you also might think that becasue I am a dealer of ML, I have to push the new stuff. Well, this is not the case, if I don't like a product, I don't sell it...and will tell the manufacture to do something regarding it...
The Summits are not perfect, still we could ask for more...but are the top of the line of ML and a new industry standard setting for new specifications. Their sensitivity is one of the most important feature. I like them better than my Prodigies, they sound bigger, more precise, the inner detail is more revealling and microdynamics are better, overall, a better product. Happy listening,
Pura vida,
Roberto.

roberto said:
The Summits are not perfect, still we could ask for more...but are the top of the line of ML and a new industry standard setting for new specifications.
Pura vida,
Roberto.

Regarding doing better than the Summits, I wonder what would've happened if the panel size was kept the same as the mighty Prodigy. That would be like a SUPER Summit!

Joey -

From what I've read, panel size is the same (just about.) The difference is in the trim surrounding the panel. The wood around the Prodigy makes it a much larger speaker. As you know from your Vantage, the new panels are surrounded with much thinner aluminum frames rather than wood rails.

Maybe these analogies would help...

roberto said:
We all know, and I don't know why is this, the smaller amplifiers are better, warmer, right with the size and more transparent than bigger amps.
If I may, I'd like to use a couple analogies to draw the similarities between these scenarios and comparing amplifiers...
First, if I want to experience camping in Yosemite National Park, I could pull into the campground with my RV and have an "effortless" camping experience, enjoying all the modern amenities offered by my RV. Now, if I make lots of efforts to hike up Half-Dome and come down Nevada Falls, I would have a much better, and more meaningful experience of Yosemite. The hike will get me to experience the full spectrum and subtleties of the park up close that I will have a much better appreciation for Yosemite than by staying in the campground on the valley floor.
Another analogy is...whale-watching. I've been to Hawaii, whale-watching from a boat along with 20 other people, catching glimpse of a couple of whale from afar. Now, compare that to the North West where one can come up close to the whale on Kayaks and can literally touch the whale(s). 'Nuf said.
The idea is that the big, powerful amplifiers present a big, effortless sound stage but the smaller, flea-powered amplifiers are much better at presenting the subtleties and nuances of the music in order to arrive at a more rewarding experience.

Spike

Spike said:
If I may, I'd like to use a couple analogies to draw the similarities between these scenarios and comparing amplifiers...
First, if I want to experience camping in Yosemite National Park, I could pull into the campground with my RV and have an "effortless" camping experience, enjoying all the modern amenities offered by my RV. Now, if I make lots of efforts to hike up Half-Dome and come down Nevada Falls, I would have a much better, and more meaningful experience of Yosemite. The hike will get me to experience the full spectrum and subtleties of the park up close that I will have a much better appreciation for Yosemite than by staying in the campground on the valley floor.
Another analogy is...whale-watching. I've been to Hawaii, whale-watching from a boat along with 20 other people, catching glimpse of a couple of whale from afar. Now, compare that to the North West where one can come up close to the whale on Kayaks and can literally touch the whale(s). 'Nuf said.
The idea is that the big, powerful amplifiers present a big, effortless sound stage but the smaller, flea-powered amplifiers are much better at presenting the subtleties and nuances of the music in order to arrive at a more rewarding experience.

Spike
Hola chicos...I have a powerpoint presentation that my friend at ML sent me...it is a comparation of the Prodigiy-Odyssey versus the Summits...if any of you would like to have it, just send me an e-mail and I will forward it to you...my e-mail address is [email protected]. Happy listening,
Pura vida,
Roberto.

roberto said:
also it is true that there are just a few amps that have big power and sounds right, but you have to search a lot and pay some good money for them.

Hola Roberto, I choose this way, an ASR Emitter II to move the panel of the Summit's with iron hands. In the April issue of the Hi-FI World magazine, appers the impedance's curve of the Summit's:

curvaimpedanciasummit1wh.jpg

Below 10k impedance does not overcome 1 ohm!

Best regards.

Chordeater said:
Hola Roberto, I choose this way, an ASR Emitter II to move the panel of the Summit's with iron hands. In the April issue of the Hi-FI World magazine, appers the impedance's curve of the Summit's:

curvaimpedanciasummit1wh.jpg

Below 10k impedance does not overcome 1 ohm!

Best regards.

If this is correct why are people getting good results with modest amps? That is a hell of a load ensuring rolled off highs with anything less than a very muscular amp.

Kevin

http://www.hi-fiworld.co.uk/hfw/currentish.html

Maybe these "good results" could be "magical results" with the appropiate amplifier.
I suposse the measurement is correct, however, I am not in agreement with which it's said in the magazine about the Summits. Generally , in the Hi-Fi World pages there is a clear tendency to emphasize english products over the others. Tonight I will summarize the article signed by David Price.

Regards.

kwr said:
If this is correct why are people getting good results with modest amps? That is a hell of a load ensuring rolled off highs with anything less than a very muscular amp.

Kevin

I think that the Summits are a heavy load, even with the onboard woofer amps.... I think this thing really needs a very powerful amp to fully utilize it's potential.

Joey_V said:
I think that the Summits are a heavy load, even with the onboard woofer amps.... I think this thing really needs a very powerful amp to fully utilize it's potential.

Hola Joey...with all respect I desagree with you. It is better to have quality than quantity. why are all of you worried about the impedance curve? What does your ears are telling you?...do you have bad sound?...any good amplifier on these day can handle this load with no problem. Also the sensitivity of these great sounding speakers allow us to use small amplifier with no stress due to lack of power, not quality!!!Again, trust your ears my friends...happy listening,
Pura vida,
Roberto.

Back