Prodigy V's Request

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peacefulcargo

Reaction score
I have never heard the Prodigy and would be good to hear how you rate it on its own and versus the Request? Thanks

Prodigy, in my opinion is like the SL3 vs Summit. I have heard both but never side by side. I believe Request was mid 1990's and Prodigy was 2000-ish. Prodigy was a large panel.
I would guess the Prodigy would be much more expensive today than request also if that is a consideration.

I lived with and enjoyed reQuests for close to a decade. The integration between bass and panel was noticeable on some albums. I was thinking of upgrading to Prodigy's at some point because I believe ML had made strides in the bass power and integration. I never compared head to head and ended up with Summits (which I still have and enjoy immensely). The Summits bass power and integration is a noticeable improvement over the reQuest. However, for most of my albums and listening tastes the reQuests were very enjoyable and I could still easily live with a pair.
If it is a choice between the two I think the Prodigy would be the pair to score although Brad225 brings up a good point about price difference.

Odyssey was the next iteration (if you will) to the reQuest. Prodigy was a huge step up. Summits used all the better tech, including powered subs, of course. If you've never seen the Prodigy in real life, they are MASSIVE. The woofer enclosure is just huge.. I would suspect they are definitely not a good fit for the majority of listening spaces. Summits are much more easier to live with and sound better, IMHO.

YES, I had both, Request and The Prodigy now... and the next one for me will be Renaissance 15A. Prodigy is a high class model with dual force boomers, but still the worst part of this speakers. The bass is a little bit better than Request but still booming, not a world class bass ! The best on the Prodigy is the ESL pannel, new pannel design vs Request, beautiful imaging and top class resolution. Caution this speaker needs a large room and more difficult to drive than the little brother Odyssey. It was the largest ESL panel after the Statement and Monolith and the closiest to a true full range... but it is not. The ren

The Renaissance 15A is a better Prodigy, especialy because the active 500W included dual bass woofer ! And with ARC it a more easy speaker to drive in a moderate room than the Prodigy.

YES, I had both, Request and The Prodigy now... and the next one for me will be Renaissance 15A. Prodigy is a high class model with dual force boomers, but still the worst part of this speakers. The bass is a little bit better than Request but still booming, not a world class bass ! The best on the Prodigy is the ESL pannel, new pannel design vs Request, beautiful imaging and top class resolution. Caution this speaker needs a large room and more difficult to drive than the little brother Odyssey. It was the largest ESL panel after the Statement and Monolith and the closiest to a true full range... but it is not. The ren
Brilliant insight . Thanks very much.

Odyssey was the next iteration (if you will) to the reQuest. Prodigy was a huge step up. Summits used all the better tech, including powered subs, of course. If you've never seen the Prodigy in real life, they are MASSIVE. The woofer enclosure is just huge.. I would suspect they are definitely not a good fit for the majority of listening spaces. Summits are much more easier to live with and sound better, IMHO.
I had reQuest for 13 years that I bought new in ’96, then later owned a new set of Odyssey. Although the Odyssey was a very good audiophile speaker, was nowhere near the performance range of the reQuest being it was the replacement. I liken the Prodigy to the performance range of the reQuest, with a much better bottom end.

went from sl3 to prodigy in about 2002 ish.? I also tried the Odyssey which was about half the price of the Prodigy at the time. by comparison the prodigy sounded more organic and detailed that the Odyssey with a fuller bass. it was night and day in my room. the big problem you have though in going off others experience is the fact that the room they are heard in makes a massive difference to how they sound. the bass in particular would be unrecognisable if moved to a different room with different dimensions and furnishings. ive done it and its like you've bought a completely different speaker. room correction was the solution I used to counter the problem room effects. I guess what im saying is think about your room first (ie big room will suit a bigger speaker and vice verse) and perhaps consider trying room correction software.

I have both a pair of Prodigies and a pair of Summits and I actually like the Prodigy better. It has a wider soundstage and the sound seem to have more presence than the Summits. The bass is not as deep obviously (compared to Summits) but to me it blends well with the panel. I supplement it with a Descent subwoofer.

And yes it's huge. I can easily carry a Summit on my own but definitely not the Prodigy.

I use the Prodigies for my main system and the Summits for my bedroom, that's how much better I feel it is!

Hola,

I have a Summits Power Point presentation. If any of you would like to see it, please send to me an email and I will send the presentation to you. My email address is: [email protected]

What I do like not necessary must be your liking and vice-versa. I have both Prodigy and Summits. The Prodigies are in a storage room.

Happy listening!

Back