Prodigy, Odyssey, reQuest or CLSIIz

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

stat seeker

Hi,

I am seeking advice and opinions as to which of these would be better to replace my Innersound Eroses.

Before buying the Eroses, I auditioned the Quests, which had poor bass response, and the Ascents, which just left me under whelmed. I liked the Eroses and would have kept them if not for the very small sweet spot.

My room is 20’x14’ with 9’ ceilings. The speakers will be on the short wall about 3’ out. One speaker will be in a corner, with the other open to a hallway. I have no acoustical treatments. I still have the ESL300 amp so I should not have any problems driving any of the above speakers.

All advice greatly appreciated.

TIA.

stat seeker said:
Hi,

I am seeking advice and opinions as to which of these would be better to replace my Innersound Eroses.

Before buying the Eroses, I auditioned the Quests, which had poor bass response, and the Ascents, which just left me under whelmed. I liked the Eroses and would have kept them if not for the very small sweet spot.

My room is 20’x14’ with 9’ ceilings. The speakers will be on the short wall about 3’ out. One speaker will be in a corner, with the other open to a hallway. I have no acoustical treatments. I still have the ESL300 amp so I should not have any problems driving any of the above speakers.

TIA.

Hello. If you are a dedicated listener, try to get the Prodigy model or the new Summit. Happy listening, and trust your ears!
Roberto.

stat seeker said:
One speaker will be in a corner, with the other open to a hallway. I have no acoustical treatments.

Sounds a little like my set-up, see member system #42. I had to build a corner room treatment to ease the bass build up in that front corner. I also had to set my balance knob around the 2:00 (two-O-clock) setting toward the open condition speaker.

ESL300 amp..................is that the solid state one? How do you like it?

I think the tube amp was called "tube-i" or something, have you auditioned that one at any time?

Munster said:
system #43
Is that the Grotto sub in the corner behind the left speaker in the first photo?

Don't you get a bit of a boom there?

Hi,

Thanks for the quick replies! So far, the Prodigy is clearly the top vote getter.
I guess that I should not fear that the Prodigy will overwhelm my room.

I have a few more questions:

Will they sound good only 3ft out from the wall?
Do they need to be bi-amped to sound their best?
Are they that much ($2k) better than the Odysseys?

Thanks again for the replies!

stat seeker said:
Hi,

TIA.

I had the Eros I's and yeah, the sweet spot is about 3" wide. Plus they just about turn into bug zappers at times. You will definitely find CLS's lacking in low-base compared to the Eros. I preferred my ReQuests to the Eros as they really opened up like the CLS but had decent bass, however not as tight as the Eros.

The newer Logans should have better bass response, and get the biggest 'stat pannel you can afford. The guy I bought my ReQuests from got Odysseys. He said they were very similar and not a huge difference between the two.

James

So far, the Prodigy is clearly the top vote getter.
I guess that I should not fear that the Prodigy will overwhelm my room.
IMHO, if you're seriously considering the Prodigy, you should take a closer look (listen) to the reQuests. From my experience, the Prodigy has a tighter bass, but the crossover frequency is also higher, "spilling" into the mid-bass region. The result is a bit of chestiness in the baritone (deep male vocals) range. The reQuests, with the lower crossover frequency are more suitable for bi-amping. If I had a choice between Prodigy or reQuest, I'd go for the reQuest and put the extra money into tube amplifiers for bi-amping.

Do they need to be bi-amped to sound their best?
I really do think so. I'm having tubes on the panels and am never (knock on woods) going back to solid-state on my reQuests.

Spike

Kach22i,

Yes. Innersound had a tube power amp they called the iTube. It was in production for a very short time as there were some problems with it (don't know exactly what they were). It was a beautiful amp. The ESL300 is SS and made specifically for driving tough loads like ESLs.

Spike,

I have read here and in other forums that the reQuest offers much of Prodigy's performance for much less -- although it much older. It will be tough to find a pair to audition though. If I find a pair of Odysseys maybe I should buy them since they are supposed to be the replacement for the reQuest :confused: ?

Thanks.

Back