Problems with a CLSIIz panel

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KrellYourLife

Reaction score
Hello,

i bought my CLS back in 1996. never changed panels which in my opinion are still performing in a fantastic way.

But since last february the panel of the left speaker started to have problem. With moist weather the mylar tends to stick to the rear grid and the speaker emits a crackling sound. I remove the power and after a few minutes the mylar detaches from the grid and maybe plays without problems for hours. It happens randomly.
With dry weather no problems.

Somebody else had this problem?

Hard to believe nobody else experienced the same problem. Solution is to replace the panel with a new one or there are ome workarounds?

Find someone that can refurbish the panels, but if money is no object then just get new ones from ML.

On my Prodigy panels, .new panels from ML will cost about $3000 but I'm trying a refurbishment for $650.

I suspect some kind of 'build up' on the mylar thus the greater conductivity during humid weather ? How ofter do you vacuum them ? what is your vacuuming technique ? Are all the spars in good shape ? Perhaps a trip to the 'shower' might be in order ?

So as i understand the only way to solve is a refurbishment (i know one company in germany) or gettig a couple of new panels from ML?
I do not trust to much the shower thing.

So as i understand the only way to solve is a refurbishment (i know one company in germany) or gettig a couple of new panels from ML?
I do not trust to much the shower thing.
Russ, the guy some of us use here, told me not to do the shower thing. It was his opinion that getting them wet will wash off some of the film on the mylar. Definitely don't use soap!

CLS II (1990) original panels- one panel lower volume by 10-15% corrected w/ balance control. I assume it's aging panels.
Could it be a problem with the electronics box and worth swapping them to see if that's the case?

Also is there R/L orientation with these speakers since the bass panels are different sizes?

Thanks

Hola Lightloopy,

The stat panel has two sides and the center. The wider side goes outside. So you have a right speaker and a left speaker.

On the other hand, the room must be equal at the back wall, if there is an opening, where the opening is, that's the weaker level speaker. Having a square back side walls, then if you still have a weaker speaker, it is the panel.

If you have stat panels that are wider on one side, then the model is CLS IIz.
You could have a power supply unit made in the 90s but the stat panels could be made before.

Happy listening!

Hi Roberto,
The panels are wider on one side but the box says CLS II only. Looks like there was a II,IIA and IIZ and I guess would designate that on the box. I have ordered panels and ML said all the CLS II's take the same panel but the older CLS is a different panel.
Thanks!

Hello,

i bought my CLS back in 1996. never changed panels which in my opinion are still performing in a fantastic way.

But since last february the panel of the left speaker started to have problem. With moist weather the mylar tends to stick to the rear grid and the speaker emits a crackling sound. I remove the power and after a few minutes the mylar detaches from the grid and maybe plays without problems for hours. It happens randomly.

I had that problem, but I was due to try to play them too loud with a heavy bass content. I learned that they did not like this. For a normal listening level, I never had that kind of issue, having here in CR, a lot of humidity. Our climate is humid for 8 months of the year. The odd sound was like a big cracking. The panel is arcing due to the high level. They do not sound too loud! I had all the CLSs models. I got my first one in 1987, and as soon a new model came out, I did change it. Love the sound of the CLSs. I still have them inside of my brain. The most coherence speaker ever made!

Happy listening!

I had that problem, but I was due to try to play them too loud with a heavy bass content. I learned that they did not like this. For a normal listening level, I never had that kind of issue, having here in CR, a lot of humidity. Our climate is humid for 8 months of the year. The odd sound was like a big cracking. The panel is arcing due to the high level. They do not sound too loud! I had all the CLSs models. I got my first one in 1987, and as soon a new model came out, I did change it. Love the sound of the CLSs. I still have them inside of my brain. The most coherence speaker ever made!

Happy listening!
Now it sounds like the CLX has been discontinued. What will you do now? Id think just keep using what you have now and replace the panels or refurbish them when they need it? Wondering if you would switch to a different model.

Now it sounds like the CLX has been discontinued. What will you do now? Id think just keep using what you have now and replace the panels or refurbish them when they need it? Wondering if you would switch to a different model.
Hola Robert,

I do not have any issues with my CLXs and never had. The stat panels sing perfect!. These speakers are wonderful! They bring to me the really joy of the musician(s) playing for me here, in my own bat cave. The stage, the timbre, the resolution, the inner detail, the harmonic texture of the musical instruments and voices, the size of the musical instruments between them, a violin and a cello, as an example. The fun that you have listening all kinds of styles in music and the quality of the recordings. The silky strings, and the percussion instruments are played vivid with the right energy on every stroke. Winds are full of air, and you can hear the air-wood instruments with the right unique quality sound. I just love them.

To me, they are the Holy Grail! I am still, rediscovering my music. I don't care if they are discontinued. ML will have any part that I might need in a future, if I require to service them. I have been ML dealer here in Costa Rica, since 1987, and I have sold every single model, besides the Neolith and the Statement. I do know the quality components that ML uses, and many other known brands, and I assure you that ML does use good quality components.

I am not going to do anything. Why should I? Tell me which model is better than my CLXs? My ears are in love of what I hear from them. The synergy that I have with Conrad Johnson gear and them are the best!

This is really happy I am with them.

Happy listening!

Hola Robert,

I do not have any issues with my CLXs and never had. The stat panels sing perfect!. These speakers are wonderful! They bring to me the really joy of the musician(s) playing for me here, in my own bat cave. The stage, the timbre, the resolution, the inner detail, the harmonic texture of the musical instruments and voices, the size of the musical instruments between them, a violin and a cello, as an example. The fun that you have listening all kinds of styles in music and the quality of the recordings. The silky strings, and the percussion instruments are played vivid with the right energy on every stroke. Winds are full of air, and you can hear the air-wood instruments with the right unique quality sound. I just love them.

To me, they are the Holy Grail! I am still, rediscovering my music. I don't care if they are discontinued. ML will have any part that I might need in a future, if I require to service them. I have been ML dealer here in Costa Rica, since 1987, and I have sold every single model, besides the Neolith and the Statement. I do know the quality components that ML uses, and many other known brands, and I assure you that ML does use good quality components.

I am not going to do anything. Why should I? Tell me which model is better than my CLXs? My ears are in love of what I hear from them. The synergy that I have with Conrad Johnson gear and them are the best!

This is really happy I am with them.

Happy listening!
Yeah, Id say you are set, and since you know your way around electronics you can replace parts if they go out. My panels are about 20 years old and I just decided to refurbish them. They were still working, just down in volume. How old are your CLX speakers now? Did you ever replace panels on some of your other older speakers? I think you had the CLS speakers?

Hello,

Per

Latest posts

Back