Problem with Quest Speaker

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

Brock

Hope someone knows the answer.
The left speaker has become noticeably lower than the right. I switched speaker wires and no change so it is the speaker not any of the hookups.

Any simple suggestions or is this a send to the shop kind of issue?

Thanks for any help

Brock

Brock said:
Hope someone knows the answer.
The left speaker has become noticeably lower than the right. I switched speaker wires and no change so it is the speaker not any of the hookups.

Any simple suggestions or is this a send to the shop kind of issue?

Thanks for any help

Brock
Hola Brock. Listen if the whole panel is working from top to bottom and from left to right. All the panel must produce sound with mids and crystal highs.If part of the panel is dead or null or just some parts of it...if this is your problem, first try to vacuum it. If it does not comes to life, then the shower (tweak section of this forum) is a must. Sometimes a shower will bring to life a bad panel. If you did it, or vacuum the panel, and still the same problem, I think that the solution is to change them for new panels. Hope this can help, happy listening,
pura vida,
Roberto.

roberto said:
Hola Brock. Listen if the whole panel is working from top to bottom and from left to right. All the panel must produce sound with mids and crystal highs.If part of the panel is dead or null or just some parts of it...if this is your problem, first try to vacuum it. If it does not comes to life, then the shower (tweak section of this forum) is a must. Sometimes a shower will bring to life a bad panel. If you did it, or vacuum the panel, and still the same problem, I think that the solution is to change them for new panels. Hope this can help, happy listening,
pura vida,
Roberto.
Brock...thinking more regarding your bad panel, the power supply of your speaker could be bad also. You have to swap both power supplies, or swap the panels from one speaker to the other, then if the bad panel is bad, then there you know. If the bad starts to work fine, then the high voltage multiplier could be the cause...happy listening,
pura vida,
Roberto.

chances are that the panels are going bad , was this a overnight issue or something that was along time coming ?

to check for a bad panel and to make sure the power supply and x- over are good , it is easier to remove the panel from the bad speaker and put it on the good one , if it is bad on the good one it is the panel not the power supply or x-over. If it works fine, on the good speaker, the the other good panel should not work as well on the suspected bad speaker ,it is then a power supply or x- over

Let me know I have a good panel from a original quest to sell( I replaced them about 5 months ago) PM me

C.A.P said:
chances are that the panels are going bad , was this a overnight issue or something that was along time coming ?

to check for a bad panel and to make sure the power supply and x- over are good , it is easier to remove the panel from the bad speaker and put it on the good one , if it is bad on the good one it is the panel not the power supply or x-over. If it works fine, on the good speaker, the the other good panel should not work as well on the suspected bad speaker ,it is then a power supply or x- over

Let me know I have a good panel from a original quest to sell( I replaced them about 5 months ago) PM me

Hola C.A.P. It is so nice of you to offer him your old good stat panel, but ML recommends to change both at the same time. Why? Becasue of sensitivity. ML matches all panels at the factory...if you take a look of your panel´s serial number, they are only one digit in difference. The specs of the speaker are in frequency response +-3dBs. Their sensitivity are matched to produce the same SPL@ 1KHz +-1dB/1 meter. Your old panel could be out of range with his old good panel. Another reason why ML gives the stat panels in pairs! They are matched pairs. Happy listening,
Pura vida,
Roberto.

Good point , my new panels are finely broken in and sound fantastic ,
new panels for Quests are $700.00 to your door they are updated from the old ones , they look like the Request panels with the stator spacers at staggered heights and are a bronze black color , I changed grill cloth when I did mine , its a easy job to do 1/2 hr max to 1hr

roberto said:
Hola C.A.P. It is so nice of you to offer him your old good stat panel, but ML recommends to change both at the same time. Why? Becasue of sensitivity. ML matches all panels at the factory...if you take a look of your panel´s serial number, they are only one digit in difference. The specs of the speaker are in frequency response +-3dBs. Their sensitivity are matched to produce the same SPL@ 1KHz +-1dB/1 meter. Your old panel could be out of range with his old good panel. Another reason why ML gives the stat panels in pairs! They are matched pairs. Happy listening,
Pura vida,
Roberto.
Hi,
I am not very happy with my SL3 sound specially the highs, I find a bit subdued. I purchased in April 1999. The sound improves after hot air blow. Is it worth measuring the voltage which you once mentioned (I have fluke 189, I may have to to get the high voltgae probe). How much should they measure? I was wondering whether it's worth changing the panels or going for a different model. How much would they cost for a pair of panels for SL3? The guy who is the dealer here is a friend of mine and has some problem with his sponser. Do you think that I can buy the panels straight from ML. Will they entertain me?

Last edited:
Back