Problem with ML Purity Speaker

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thevadrydens

Reaction score
Hi all. One of my speakers looses its high end output after about 10 minutes continuous use. This is intermittent, and not always. The power light turns red instead of blue. If you unplug it. Wait a few minutes it then works fine again for a while. Is this a common problem with the Purity speaker? Is it easily fixed? Any advise is appreciated.

Cheers,

Hi, this sounds like a possible issue with the music-sense circuit in that speaker.
What volume level does this occur at? If only on low-volume settings or extended low-volume passages, then it's the music-sense circuit is losing sensitivity, likely due to an aging capacitor.

OK, if not sensitive to volume, then less likely it's that circuit.

But all other symptoms point to that, as from the manual:
The Purity’s integrate a signal sensing power supply which will switch off after five minutes of no music signal, and requires less than two seconds to recharge the panels when a music signal is present.

So the symptoms are consistent with a music sense not 'sensing'.
Not sure about expense, but the next step I'd recommend is to contact ML and ask them for additional troubleshooting steps.
Fairly sure they have spare parts for that model, but that can get expensive.

If it's just a capacitor out of spec in the music-sense circuit, then any competent audio service person should be able to work on the amp-module (don't give them the full speaker).

Hola. To me, with much respect, it looks that you have a digital power amp failure. Do you have any electronic skills? Or do you have any friend that could help you to swap the amplifiers? Usually, that's the problem.

You can contact ML service dept and tell them your problem. They can guide you to track what is it. Jonathan might be right too.

I had the same thing with mine. Disconnected the panel to bring to service and discovered the wire to the plug was broken. ML used some small solid wire for this. Soldered back together and all was well. A lot easier than shipping, mine are located in the Yucatan.

Hola Pablo,
Eso son excelentes noticias!. Saludos desde Costa Rica. Those are wonderful news. I am soooo glad that the problem was a very small thing. Sometimes these little things are difficult to find. Well done!
Happy listening!

I had the same thing with mine and can some one help me with pictures to identify the wire.....

Back