Preparing CLS speakers for shipping

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Craig

Reaction score
I just a received a pair of Walnut CLSIIz that were shipping from California to Florida via freight shipping and they arrived unscathed. In spite of all the handling and traveling that was necessary to get them here.

A successful shipment has a lot to do with the packaging and preparation. The seller did an excellent job on the packing and also sent some photos of the packing technique and materials he used so I thought I would share these for anyone who might be considering shipping a pair of CLS speakers. Of course there are many ways to prepare a shipment but at least this give you some ideas.

1. This should be obvious but be sure to remove the electronics box from the speaker frame and pack those separately.

2. Since the electrostatic panel is bowed out 3"-4" from frame it is vulnerable to crushing unless some room and protection is provided to help prevent that. Styrofoam blocks may help prevent crushing of the panel and these should be placed along the front of the frame rails. The middle of the box is the vulnerable spot. It may not be a bad idea to actually remove the panels and ship those separately but that would add to the shipping cost. We didn't do that in this case and they were fine

3. My grandaughter is helping me while I write this so we had to add the dancing bananas...:banana::banana::banana:

4. The frame corners are another vulnerable area so it's important to ensure they are wrapped and protected as you'll see in the following photos. Sheets of bubble wrap were used extensively are a well worth the cost.

5. The following are the photos and they're self explanatory.

6. Insurance is always a good idea. A $5000 or more insurance option is a red flag to the carrier to take extra care and caution but is no guarantee.

7. Be sure to call the carrier to find out what their delivery policy and procedures are. After waiting all day expecting a delivery (it was due to be delivered according to the tracking #) I found out that you need to call and make an appointment. They did however, let me come to the receiving station and pick it up myself. This speeded up the process and at least one part of the shipping was in my control.

6. Feel free to add any of your own shipping tips and experiences to this post.
eio0b8.jpg
view.php

Last edited:
x0qt10.jpg
[/IMG]
2j2gghf.jpg
[/IMG]
2lsbghx.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
Bicycle boxes work good and are easy to come by. Most bike shops are glad to get rid of them after assembling new bikes. Two boxes were used to double box each speaker. You'll need to cut and fold the cardboard to make the second box and use plenty of tape.
jk8wo7.jpg
[/IMG]
xn9saf.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
You were braver than me I went and picked mine up ! Glad they came to ya unscathed!

Both CLS electronic cases fit in one box if you have the original packing materials. The smaller box on top was nice pair of Noble and Noble silver speaker cables that seller included to sweeten the deal. This seller deserves outstanding feedback and it will be provided.
2ds1lw5.jpg
[/IMG]
2qwfs3r.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
I called/emailed Freightquote.com who emailed me a quote and used Estes-express.com for the shipping. They have a terminal in East Tampa where I was able to pick them up when they arrived in town. I'm sure they didn't mind me picking them up as it saves them gas and time.

Tom,
Can you move this thread to the DIY section? Thanks

Back