Preamp for New Summits?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Greg_A

I have finally ordered the Summits!!

What preamp would be recommended in the less then $3,000 range?

I have seen a few Krells on ebay.

Thanks!

I am basically rebuilding a beloved ' vintage system of Perreaux Amps and decided to start at the speakers first, preamp then potentially a new Amp.

ML Summits are on the way and I have about 2 weeks to decide on the Pre. I prefer a minimalist approach & my existing HDTV/surround is handled separately.

You will get a lot of "opinions" but I would recommend a tube preamp. I own a Conrad Johnson but there are many others which are just a good or arguably better depending on who is arguing. :eek: Tube pre-amps vary in their presentation of the sound which they deliver. This is where the fun begins. :D I would listen to as many as you can within in your price range and then look at capabilities after that. This will "define" the sound you like and is most pleasing to your ears and then everything else will fall in to place.

Audition these before and after you get your speakers. Listen to them in a store but more importantly arrange for a home audition because this is ultimately where it will live for years to come.

Good Luck and have fun!!

Jeff :cool:

I'm using the Jeff Rowland Concerto pre and 201 monos on my Vantage and am VERY happy with the results. The Concerto can be had on Audiogon for less than 3k and also has an optional internal phono stage (which is very good also!).

FWIW....

Tim Corn
Muskogee, OK

Preamp

Thanks!
Detroit or Chicago are relatively the same distance.

I am hoping to narrow down the choices a bit.

Greg_A said:
Thanks!
Detroit or Chicago are relatively the same distance.

I am hoping to narrow down the choices a bit.
I agree 100% with what Jeff Zaret said.

More choices to be had in Chicago I assume. I know the Detroit area stores pretty well Almas HI FI in Royal Oak (may be listed as Birmingham) carries C.J..

There is a decent shop in Grand Rapids last time I was there.

Greg, Jeff hit the nail on the head, I totally agree with him. FWIW I'm currently an ARC guy, but also love CJ.

I'll give you a recommendation:
trust your own ears, and test the equipment at home with your environment.
A good dealer would give you that possibility.
In Germany this is normal procedure, when you are purchasing stuff that costs thousands of dollars/Euros.

Many good recommendations here, especially the try before you buy. Many different Pre Amps used here by members from CJ, ARC, Cary, VTL, Modwright, BAT, Quicksilver, Manley just to name a few.

Dan

Gerrybisch said:
I'll give you a recommendation:
trust your own ears, and test the equipment at home with your environment
You sound like Roberto. Not a bad thing.
:)

kach22i said:
You sound like Roberto. Not a bad thing.
:)

Listening first is really the only way to go. Don't spend big bucks relying on someone else's ears.

kach22i said:
I agree 100% with what Jeff Zaret said.

More choices to be had in Chicago I assume. I know the Detroit area stores pretty well Almas HI FI in Royal Oak (may be listed as Birmingham) carries C.J.

The last time I was in Almas in R.O. (back in Feb) they had a single CJ amp back in a corner not hooked up to anything. No CJ preamps to be found.

Kach22i,

I am in the L.A. area but Chicago has some great stores too I am sure. Without starting a war, I was raised in Chicago and still a White Sox, Cubs, Bears fan. :D

Jeff :cool:

I agree with Greg_A, one should also look at the vintage (MFA, Audible Illusions, etc.) equipment market. You can get excellent equipment for a reasonable price.

Kruppy said:
The last time I was in Almas in R.O. (back in Feb) they had a single CJ amp back in a corner not hooked up to anything. No CJ preamps to be found.
I called the original Dearborn location Alama's this winter as they were closing it up. Big plans on expanding in the Royal Oak location, kind of a single superstore. One could only hope that they will fill it up with tubes and not solid state home theater stuff - call me a dreamer. ;)

Latest posts

Back