Pre-amp question

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haff

Reaction score
Will be taking delivery of EM ESLs tomorrow.

I've got a Rotel RB-1070 power amp already which I will be using to drive the MLs, but need a pre-amp.

I have been looking for a decent (used for now) tube pre-amp - I suspect the Rotel/ML combo may be too bright and a tube pre will help. The dealer I'm picking up the speakers from has a demo Parasound P3 which he says he'll sell for a throwaway price (will discover tomorrow exactly what he means by that), but the question is - is that worth considering? I've heard Parasound equipment before but in different configurations so not sure about this until I test it out (the way he's pricing this, returning it may be a problem).

My own (limited) experience says go for tubes - if not in power then at least on preamp.

Thoughts?

Haff, welcome to the land of 'Logan' , congrats on the new acquistion. regarding your Rotel I suspect it will drive them just fine, in so far as Parasound, myself, I regard their products as excellent value. So depending on the price and since it's already a 'demo' your dealer SHOULD allow you to audition it at home with your new speakers. So with that being said if all goes well and the price is right...go for it.

Now if your looking for tube alternatives.....man there are lots to choose from so give us a budget. Myself, I'm a longtime Audio Research guy but there are plenty of great choices. As far as your Rotel being bright, I suspect not, if anything, having owned Rotel myself, I find them somewhat 'dull' (having owned the 1070's big brother years ago powering my Vantage's being driven by an ARC LS-16) but I will not pre-judge your combo.

Last edited:
Thanks Dave - I've been driving Klipsch La Scalas with Rotels - so my "brightness" test may well not be fair, just something I suspect with the MLs. Will know (and report) tomorrow. Unfortunately - we tend to have somewhat limited choices here in Canada, but generally - you can pick up a pretty decent tube pre-amp for under a $1,000 (which is my budget for the pre-amp).

but I will not pre-judge your combo.

I too, won't pre-judge your combo, but I also used a Rotel 1090 with a tube preamp. The combination lasted less than 24 hours. It was terrible! It is not about being bright or otherwise - it would appear that the Rotel circuitry - while good pre se - can not handle the ML load.

Unfortunately - we tend to have somewhat limited choices here in Canada, but generally - you can pick up a pretty decent tube pre-amp for under a $1,000 (which is my budget for the pre-amp).
Theres nothing limiting you to buying stuff only in Canada. I've bought and sold lots of stuff cross-border, using Audiogon.

Canada you're lucky. Try buying on Audiogon from Australia!
If you have a friend in the US, and you really want something, you should get it shipped to your friend and get them to ship it to you. Of course, with the voltage difference you're limited in your choice of stuff.

When I'm buying stuff I use only the US Postal Service as UPS and FedEx ding you with brokerage fees. Unfortunately this limits the size of the item.

Theres nothing limiting you to buying stuff only in Canada. I've bought and sold lots of stuff cross-border, using Audiogon.

"Somewhat" was the key word - I routinely buy lots of things from the US too, but that's invariably new things where the price difference is worth the effort or the item is just not available in Canada.

What I really mean was I guess a limited choice in buying used gear - one that at least I would like to audition before buying.

For the EM ESLs, I got a lower price in Canada than what I could find online in the US. But that's part of the point I guess - I'm sure they go for even less in some places in the US, but to find that within say two hundred miles of driving is tough.

Never heard it but it got alot of good press several years ago and if you can find a used unit in good shape, should be under 1K.

Audible Illusions 3A.

GG

Last edited:
Will be taking delivery of EM ESLs tomorrow.

I've got a Rotel RB-1070 power amp already which I will be using to drive the MLs, but need a pre-amp.

I have been looking for a decent (used for now) tube pre-amp - I suspect the Rotel/ML combo may be too bright and a tube pre will help. The dealer I'm picking up the speakers from has a demo Parasound P3 which he says he'll sell for a throwaway price (will discover tomorrow exactly what he means by that), but the question is - is that worth considering? I've heard Parasound equipment before but in different configurations so not sure about this until I test it out (the way he's pricing this, returning it may be a problem).

My own (limited) experience says go for tubes - if not in power then at least on preamp.

Thoughts?

If you are going to keep the Rotel amplifier which is a very good one, you might consider a matching Rotel preamplifier like the 1580. The reason that this might be a good way to go is that compatible input and output impedances are usually no issue within the same brand. Besides, their preamps are sonically excellent and good values. The issue of brightness can have a number of causes but my experience with Rotel products is that they tend to be neutral like the Parasound equipment so that you hear what is in the source rather than the components. The nice about ML ESLs is that you can "tune" their high frequencies by angling the panels either toward or away from the listening spot.

Audio Research SP9 - it might be old, but these preamps are fantastic sounding and will last a lifetime for very few $$$.

Audio Research SP9 - it might be old, but these preamps are fantastic sounding and will last a lifetime for very few $$$.
Agreed. I have one.

There's one right now on Audiogon for $899. You can take it up a notch (several, really) by replacing the volume control with a DACT stepped attenuator ($200) - which I have done.

Thanks all. Got the Parasound For $600 - it's pretty good, neutral enough, not sure if its a good mate with my setup. Will play around a bit more.

Spent all night setting up, fiddling and listening. Man these speakers sound good. That's an understatement.

Middle of the night, brought the Bryston 4 BST down and replaced the Rotel. Good Lord.....what a difference. It brought an authority in the whole sound.

Tomorrow, will bring the Counterpoint SA5000 and see how that behaves in place of the Parasound.

Did I mention I spent all night in heaven?

Back