Powering ML Aeon i or Aerius i with Mcintosh MC60 amps

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bwhardy

Reaction score
Greetings all, I just found out about this forum after searching other forums for some info on driving my MLs with tube gear. Many folks have said that any ML is too power hungry to run with tube gear others say go for It as long as the MLs aren't the giant ones. I've owned the Aeon i and Aerius i for nearly 15 years, but just recently cam across the McIntosh amps. I've yet to hook them up together in fear of damaging one or the other by either overdriving the amp or underdriving the MLs. Has anyone had success with a similar set up? If so, did you run off the amp as 4ohm or more? Would the aeon or aerius be better suited?

Any help you can give is appreciated. I thought I'd call ML and get their official position as well. If it matters, the other components that would be hooked up with the MC60s are a mac C20 tube preamp and a linn axis turntable.

Thanks for the help!

Brent

Hola Brent, and welcome.

Being you a user of ML products, you do know that the power hungry is a myth. You do know that the old tech on ML electrostatic speakers are not too good with dynamics, if you make a comparison with cone speakers. But they do shine with free of distortion, transparency, right size of the musical instruments and voices. The stage is big... providing the right harmonic texture of the musical instruments and voices. Your Aeons I, with only 20W/channel can sing nicely, and they can handle up to 400W each speaker. My advise is, try the amp, and play the speakers at the level that you are seeking. Encourage yourself to do a super test, and let your ears decide. They are the final judges!!!

Happy listening!

Hola Brent, and welcome.

Being you a user of ML products, you do know that the power hungry is a myth. You do know that the old tech on ML electrostatic speakers are not too good with dynamics, if you make a comparison with cone speakers. But they do shine with free of distortion, transparency, right size of the musical instruments and voices. The stage is big... providing the right harmonic texture of the musical instruments and voices. Your Aeons I, with only 20W/channel can sing nicely, and they can handle up to 400W each speaker. My advise is, try the amp, and play the speakers at the level that you are seeking. Encourage yourself to do a super test, and let your ears decide. They are the final judges!!!

Happy listening!

Thank you! I will hook them up over the weekend and see how they sound. I appreciate the input! More details to come...

So I got everything hooked up and WOW, what a difference. I like the speakers more on the 60w tube amps than I ever have the Krell Showcase! To be fair, I have never run vinyl through the Integra/krell set up, but they really came to life for the first time in ages. I started (accidentally) at 8ohms and they sounded way tinny and too bright even with the treble turned way down. When I remembered that I need to be at 4ohms and made the switch from the last set up, things came alive. I broke out a number of songs that had lots of varied depth (doors - riders on the storm, GD-Unbroken chain) and some live stuff that is really well pressed an its like a 2-channel ate a 5.1 system and spit it out beautifully. Thanks for the advice!

Back