POWER!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

notnow0329

Reaction score
I recently upgraded from Vantage to 13As. Have been running for years with an Adcom GFA 5802 and its mate the GFP 750. It has plenty of power (300w/c) to push the 13a's all day long and sounds pretty good. The problem is it is 20+ years old and I am itching for a new amp and pre. Just feel like the soundstage of the 13As is being held back by the old Nelson Pass design. So looking at the new Pass amps and want to make the right call. Leaning towards a set of monoblocks in the XA class. How much pure A amp do I need to really bring the 13A to life? I am in an area where there is no chance of auditioning anything before I buy it, so I would love to hear from anyone who has experience with this speaker and Pass amps.

I have the Summit Xs, which are similar, and run them with a Pass XA30. Rated at 30 WPC/8 Ohms in class A, I have to turn up the volume beyond what I'm comfortable with to get it to transition into Class AB. It sounds better than any class AB, tubes, or D amps I've tried.

I would expect the bigger mono blocks to sound even better in larger rooms, and at higher levels.

Thanks, Hillbilly. So you are pretty happy with 30WPC (rally 60 at 4 Ohms). The monos start at 60 so 120 WPC into 4 Ohms would be plenty in your opinion.

The XA30 is perfect for me. I sit about 9' from the panels. You seem to be a bit further from yours, so the mono blocks may be better?

I just noticed my equipment profile hasn't been changed in over 10 years. Time to update it!

Contact Reno HIfi. They allow auditions on virtually every Pass product available.

I started with Pass XA30.8 and XP10 combo with my CLX - thought it was a little too soft and rounded; now using the Pass X250.8 and XP22 combo which is sounding better to my ears. Never leaves Class A at my typical volume (low 80s db).

I used to have that Adcom amp and pre. I liked them quite a bit. I actually had two of the GFA-5802s for biamping some Infinity Gamma speakers. I am currently using a Pass INT-150 to power my Montis. I think Pass amplification works well with ML. I have no plans to change anything at this time.

Thanks, Hillbilly. So you are pretty happy with 30WPC (rally 60 at 4 Ohms). The monos start at 60 so 120 WPC into 4 Ohms would be plenty in your opinion.

A friend and I are running the XA60.8s...he with 13A and me with CLX. Neither one of us has an issue with insufficient power. My room is 12 x 18 with 8 foot ceilings. His is a bit smaller.

Mark @ Reno is good people.

Thank you all for the great information. It looks like I should be good with the XA60's. Based on my experience and the wealth of knowledge shared on this site I am definitely going with a new Pass amp and pre. The really cool thing is if the 60 don't cut it Reno will upgrade you. Can't beat that.

Back