Power Supplies On ML ESL

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

i_rock69

Reaction score
Hi guys I just bought a set of used ESLs, wow . For some reason the Power Supplies are not the same and not original. One is 100ma and the other is 150 ma. What is weird is one is a center positive and one is a center negative supply. Yet everything sounds good. i did not think the pos/neg mix would make sound at all.

I cant find the specs for a proper power supply. . Could someone direct me to that online or let me know here, thanks. Also googling I found there are specific power units made for these that swear?????? that they make a difference. IS it true? They seem to be about 250$ Canadian each.

BOTW P&P ECO (15-16V) MKI linear power supply

Will it make a 15 percent increase in sound quality? Otherwise to me its not worth it (with my limited knowledge).

Thanks John

Last edited:
The Electromotion ESL original adapter (I have the European version) is marked G051T-150040B-1 (input: AC 100-240V, 50-60 Hz; output DC 15V, 0,4 A, center positive).
Sometimes it is also referred to as G051T-150040-1 (without the B), which looks to be the same.
It can easily be found on the internet for a few dollars.
I personally don't believe that any other "esoteric" adapter can improve in any way the sound quality, at least as long as the original one works properly. There's no "rocket science" inside this device: it's just an AC/DC switching power supply, the same as other billions of phone chargers out there. :D

Hi John

I have Electromotions in the living room. This is what mine are powered by.

fullsizeoutput_6d7.jpg

When one of my Electromotion ESL power supplies failed, I bought 2 of the Mean Well adapters in the picture (output: 15 V, 800 mA)
They are high quality medical spec power supplies, with only 80 mV of ripple and high (400k hours) MTFB.
The cable is only 1,8 m (6 feet) long, shorter than the original. I had to cut+solder the cable, thus mantaining the original plug.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2.jpg
    Screenshot_2.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
I use a BOTW S Booster power supply on my Fous C 18 center channel. I got improved clarity which allowed me to better understand dialogue at lower volume, a lowered noise floor and got rid of a low level hum that was present with the stock wall wart. I would spend the money again!

For EM ESL, S Booster might be overkill? How about anyone tried iFi iPower X?

Hmm.... those iFi supplies look very interesting. There seems to be a view that the problem with wall wart power supplies is the amount of interference they push back into the mains, so perhaps the ESL sensitivity to their supplies is related to whether you have mains treatment for your system, as a whole, already in place.

Latest posts

Back