Power Cords

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

aRJay

I left my pair of ML Scenarios in storage (air-conditioned, thankfully!) for a year and now can't find the power cords on unpacking, not sure where I lost them - but bottom line, need to get another pair. Tweeter has one's upwards of $175 per 6' cord - are there others I can get without burning my wallet and at the same time safely use without damaging the speakers. Thanks!

aRJay said:
I left my pair of ML Scenarios in storage (air-conditioned, thankfully!) for a year and now can't find the power cords on unpacking, not sure where I lost them - but bottom line, need to get another pair. Tweeter has one's upwards of $175 per 6' cord - are there others I can get without burning my wallet and at the same time safely use without damaging the speakers. Thanks!
Absolutely - the subject of spendy aftermarket cords is always a fun one, but you can use any decent gauge cord with an IEC termination. They should be easy to find.

If you do want an "audiophile" brand cord, you might check out AudioGon for a less expensive, used alternative.

aRJay,
There are many options depending on your budget. I started with DIYcable.com but there are many others which are as good and better. This all depends on your budget but then there are always the laws of diminishing returns too. :D

Jeff :cool:

dyazdani said:
Absolutely - the subject of spendy aftermarket cords is always a fun one, but you can use any decent gauge cord with an IEC termination. They should be easy to find.

If you do want an "audiophile" brand cord, you might check out AudioGon for a less expensive, used alternative.
Check out Signal cables great cables cheap. Frank also delivers great service.

Check out Zu Cables on E-Bay. They auction off a very good cable "Birth" for very little dough.

Taz said:
Check out Signal cables great cables cheap. Frank also delivers great service.
I can second that choice - great product, great service. I compared the Magic Power to PS Audio Lab II cables and use the Signal Magic Power Cable.

Dan

Volex cords are cheap

And are the backbone of the DIY cable recipe. But you can just buy the basic 14 gauge shielded cord. Go to Audio Asylum, and do a search on Volex in the cables forum. They are about $6. each. I bought some upgraded IEC connectors so I could make them in custom lengths for my Ascent i's. Makes things look neater. But the basic cords are probably just as good.

mondoribo...

I had Volex before switching to Signal Cable. Volex were nice for the price and are better in some cases than stock, but in my setup the change to Signal was a great improvement.

Dan

Definatley Signal cable.....use them on all my electronics, along with Franks balanced silver resolution interconnects, and speaker cables. HUGH improvement......small investment....wont be disappointed....:)

Assuming no internal amp (like Ascent i), I always thought that the cord on the ML speaker simply maintained a constant charge on the panel, no?

Don't want to start a debate on an old topic...I accept the benefits to an amp or a source, but not sure I understand how the speaker benefits. :confused:

Have people noticed sonic improvements by replacing (upgrading?) their stock speaker power cords? Please educate me! :)

Yes, there are improvements that can be had with an upgraded power cord. With the Quad 988 that I used to have and the ML Vantage that I now own, they both benefitted quite a bit from it.

Crawdaddy said:
Have people noticed sonic improvements by replacing (upgrading?) their stock speaker power cords? Please educate me! :)
I did not believe it would make a difference based on discussions and ML details about how the speaker works, but I heard a very nice change on my CLSIIz's

Dan

I too heard a change on my Sequel II's and my CLSiiZ's. I think the thing one has to realize is the "how clean is the power" coming out of the wall. There can be a lot of "noise" which can create problems from the sourcce tro the destination.

Jusy my 2 cents here

Jeff :cool:

Another vote for Signal cables

Sold my speaker and inteconnect cables, Cardas Golden cross for Signal silver cables and have been enjoying my system even more. I have not tried the power cords yet!

Back