Power cord Orientation

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twich54

Forum Administrator
Reaction score
I've read recently that ones amp and pre-amp should be on the SAME circuit. I presently have my amp on it's own dedicated 20 amp circuit and the pre is on a circuit shared with my other componets.

What are your takes on this ???

twich54 said:
I've read recently that ones amp and pre-amp should be on the SAME circuit. I presently have my amp on it's own dedicated 20 amp circuit and the pre is on a circuit shared with my other componets.

What are your takes on this ???
Dave -

Some say that the amp and pre on the same circuit eliminate possible ground loops and therefore hum. If the circuits are exactly at the same ground potential, this wont matter. In the second case, unimpeded current draw for the amp will be an advantage. If you have no hum and noise using dedicated circuits, it's probably better.

aliveatfive said:
Dave -

Some say that the amp and pre on the same circuit eliminate possible ground loops and therefore hum. If the circuits are exactly at the same ground potential, this wont matter. In the second case, unimpeded current draw for the amp will be an advantage. If you have no hum and noise using dedicated circuits, it's probably better.
Yeah, I agree with aliveatfive Dave. If you don't have any hum present keep them on seperate circuits and give that big Plinius plenty of juice.

Power cord hype and BS ???????

On another thought here, a freind of mine not and audiophile but and EE has stated that we are all nuts for our expenditures on "esoteric" power cords. His reasoning is that if one wants to make the best cord than keep the same material as what's in the wall, ie. 10ga Romex, terminate it accordingly and that's it !! The more I think about it, if one comes straight from the outlet to the amp, pre, whatever he's right. Afterall no three ft piece of "cord' is going to perform "magic" to the ft / miles that preceeded it ! Yet if you first go to a conditioner then I suppose there is room for argument.

thoughts ???????????????

Beat_Dominator said:
Yes, conditioner is where it all changes ;)

So, that being said, when one runs their power cord from the wall outlet to amplifier ( I do), esoteric cords are a waste ????

I am an EE and have designed power conditioners my entire professional career. To me its foolish to spend money on very expensive power cords when what is behind the wall is Romex, or maybe 10, 12, or even 14 gauge wire in conduit. Spend some money on a very good power conditioner. Use inexpensive, 12 or 10 gauge power cords and ever look back.

My only concern is that a poor isolated, stock power cord, dangling nearby a poor connect cable (maybe one carrying the signal coming from a moving coil cartridge...), could deteriorate the contents going to the preamp. Therefore I bought 10 meters of good Lapp Olflex cable and I built my power chords, and by doing it now I am also sure that the phase is right all over the system, and that I have exactly the cable length I need for each piece of gear. At 3 $ per meter (see for example article 190045884385 on eBay) it's a bargain. We cannot change what comes out from the wall plug (except by buying very expensive power reconditioners) as we cannot enhance the poorness of a bad recording session, but we can limit the amount of garbage we add ourselves to what we get.

lugano said:
My only concern is that a poor isolated, stock power cord, dangling nearby a poor connect cable (maybe one carrying the signal coming from a moving coil cartridge...), could deteriorate the contents going to the preamp.

lugano, good day, I for one would like to think that the members of this forum are not so foolish as to route a signal source cable anywhere near parrell to an AC cable................right gang !!!!

Cherian said:
I am an EE and have designed power conditioners my entire professional career. To me its foolish to spend money on very expensive power cords when what is behind the wall is Romex, or maybe 10, 12, or even 14 gauge wire in conduit. Spend some money on a very good power conditioner. Use inexpensive, 12 or 10 gauge power cords and ever look back.

Cherian, Ah Da Bears !! It's a good time to be from Chgo !!

question... didn't you post a topic recently on Power conditioners?? Could you re-direct me, thanks !!

twich54 said:
I for one would like to think that the members of this forum are not so foolish as to route a signal source cable anywhere near parrell to an AC cable...

Of course, Dave, mine was an extreme example in order to illustrate the fact that poor AC cables CAN bring damage. This does not imply or justify the acquisition of $999 AC cables - one should maximize gain while minimizing expenses. Aurea mediocritas !

Latest posts

Back