Power cables for Summits

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alekz

Reaction score
What are your experience with different power cables for Summits? I searched the forum, but mostly people mention what cables they use (for example, this thread: http://www.martinloganowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3429), but did anybody actually compare several models?

I'm trying to decide between just plain thick cables (e.g. Oyaide Tunami) and cables with built-in filters (e.g. MIT Shotgun AC1/2). I'm not sure if the filters will help the amplifiers in Summits, but if the class-D amps are noisy (I do not have a scope at the moment to check what they emit back into the mains), then the filters might reduce the Summit's influence on the rest of the equipment.

You might want to try the Shunyata Venom 3. Available through Music Direct with a money back option. Five foot goes for $99 each.

I use them on my Summits.

GG

Gordon, thanks for the suggestion, but it will not work for me, because I live in EU. Also, Venom in Europe costs 210 euros (280$).

BTW, did you compare Venom with any other cables (except the stock ones)?

Last edited:
What are your experience with different power cables for Summits? I searched the forum, but mostly people mention what cables they use (for example, this thread: http://www.martinloganowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3429), but did anybody actually compare several models?

I did, and wrote down my findings in the last post on that thread. I'll recopy it here:

"I sampled multiple varieties of power cables in my system, and only lastly after having a few left over I decided to see what it would do to my Summits.

I tried Grant Fidelity with a small improvement. I had decided on Nordost power cords for the rest of my system by then, so I next I tried the Shiva: awful! Thin, reedy, sharp. Stock cables much better. Next up was Vishnu: much better. Deeper more defined bass, and a slighly deeper soundstage. This was a noticeable improvement over stock, and over the Grant Fidelity. Lastly was Nordost Brahma. Way too expensive to simplly run a couple of class D amps I thought, but what the heck, I had them so let's try. I'm sure it won't make any appreciable difference, and then I'll sell them I thought.

So now, here I am with Nordost Brahma's to each Summit, and it's a keeper. Very, very nice! Bass went deeper, a bit more punch, plus a more open sound stage. It wasn't the BAM kind of reaction vs the Vishnus, but I tried swapping back and forth several times, and consistently preferred the Brahmas over the Vishnus."

I think you're on the right track with size of cable. The class D amps can pull some reasonable power, so thicker should be better. I assume that's why the Shiva sounded worse as it's a definitely smaller gauge cable. I had 2 Brahmas left after going up the PC chain so I decided to keep them. I'm starting a secondary system though, so I'm planning on trying cheaper PC's to my Summits and use the Brahmas on my other equipment.

I'm temped to try Signal Cable. They certainly are popular on Audiogon as they rarely last more than a few days on there. The Signal Cable MagicPower Cord is 3x10 gauge wire. The Shunyata Venom 3 are 3x12 gauge wire. Not sure if it would make a difference, but at least both are inexpensive.

http://signalcable.com/magicpower.html

Our posts crossed in the internet ether. Signal Cable does offer Euro plugs, so send an email to them and see what your shipped cost would be. I'd be very interested in your findings, as I'm sure many of us would be on here.

I'm trying to decide between just plain thick cables (e.g. Oyaide Tunami) and cables with built-in filters (e.g. MIT Shotgun AC1/2). I'm not sure if the filters will help the amplifiers in Summits, but if the class-D amps are noisy (I do not have a scope at the moment to check what they emit back into the mains), then the filters might reduce the Summit's influence on the rest of the equipment.

Feel free to ignore my comments as I did not do any extensive A/B/C comparisons, but I do believe firmly that the Lessloss DFPC is an excellent option. They audibly reduced the noisefloor of the active/woofer in my Summit Xs (relative to the stock cords). They also paint a very black background for well recorded discs as I use them for all my components in conjunction with a PS Audio PPP... couldn't live without the combo ;) or at least wouldn't want to listen without DFPC/PPP in my system.

http://www.lessloss.com/page.html?id=18&zenid=6qc8pp38lvjn1pfp9efihmudr0

Cheers

I went with Signal Cable Magic Power cords for my Vantages and Pass Labs amp. I really like the quality.
I didn't do any "serious" comparison.

Lee

Back