Power Amplifier Upgrade - ARC Ref 210 vs Krell Evo 402e

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marck

Reaction score
Hi,

I am currently debating whether to listen to a couple of new power amplifier's, however once you start on that slippery slope there is normally only one way to go!

I have been using a Krell FPB700cx in my system (consisting of ARC Ref5, ARC CD8, SummitX) and do enjoy the presentation very much. However I have started to wonder what the difference would be in using one of the newer amplifiers, such as the Evo 402e or the Ref 210.

I am aware of the new KT-120 tubes in the ARC and would wait to demo until it is available in the UK.

Has anyone had any experience in comparing these power amplifier with the FPB? I am aware that the tube amp will present a much more warmer, spacey sound than the solid state. Also has anyone heard the new KT-120 tubes that ARC are now using for the 6550C?

I have posted on avguide.com however and have had some very good responses, however I am particulary interested in the mating with my Summit X's.

Much appreciated
Marc.

I'll post the same response here as I gave you on the TAS board. I'm not convinced that tubes are the way to go for a Summit system. I had Summits amplified by an ARC Ref 110. The high frequency impedance of that speaker is extremely low. Most tube amps probably do not have the grunt to handle the speaker without curtailing the highs. That was my experience. I never really cared for the pairing. I always thought it was the fault of the speaker. It was probably the amp. I now have Nola Metro Refs which are much more suited to the equipment that I have.

I'll post the same response here as I gave you on the TAS board. I'm not convinced that tubes are the way to go for a Summit system. I had Summits amplified by an ARC Ref 110. The high frequency impedance of that speaker is extremely low. Most tube amps probably do not have the grunt to handle the speaker without curtailing the highs. That was my experience. I never really cared for the pairing. I always thought it was the fault of the speaker. It was probably the amp. I now have Nola Metro Refs which are much more suited to the equipment that I have.

Thank you for re-posting. It will be interesting to try and see if I find the same. That is why I am thinking the Ref210 may be required for the extra power to really make the Summit's work well.

Also, the new tube's will assist in that front.
I just have to be patient and wait for the new units too arrive in the UK for me to demo :)

Thanks again
Marc.

Summit X At Silverstone 2011

See post 2 first sentence. REF110 reasoning supplied verbally by Peter Soderburg. They sounded pretty good with REF110 when I was in there. Not saying REF210 won't be better - there was a pair on ebay for about £10,000 last time I checked.

Summit X At Silverstone 2011

See post 2 first sentence. REF110 reasoning supplied verbally by Peter Soderburg. They sounded pretty good with REF110 when I was in there. Not saying REF210 won't be better - there was a pair on ebay for about £10,000 last time I checked.

I was there too and agree with you. However I think the extra power would help, especially since my room is fairly large.

I don't really want to go the used route, especially with the new tubes now.

I think the full ARC set up would be pretty awesome :)
Thanks
Marc.

I agree that tubes are not the best way to go with electrostats, unless you have A LOT of power (or if you listen to small scale music or vocals). The Summit X has a powered woofer, so it is a bit easier to drive for a tube amp. I LOVED the sound of Atma Sphere MA1 on my Spires. If it's an option in your neck of the woods, do give it a try.

My big VTL 750's handle my full range Soundlabs almost to perfection, but there is that bit of softness in the highs Alive is referring to. If you go with ARC, audition one with as much power as you can find.

As to the Krell sound, it is very "precise". There is no right or wrong about any of this, of course, as it is all personal taste, but I think the Krell will sound a bit more analytic than the ARC. I think there will be a sizable contrast between the ARC and the Krell. Please post your impressions after you listen.

Good Luck

I agree that tubes are not the best way to go with electrostats, unless you have A LOT of power (or if you listen to small scale music or vocals). The Summit X has a powered woofer, so it is a bit easier to drive for a tube amp. I LOVED the sound of Atma Sphere MA1 on my Spires. If it's an option in your neck of the woods, do give it a try.

My big VTL 750's handle my full range Soundlabs almost to perfection, but there is that bit of softness in the highs Alive is referring to. If you go with ARC, audition one with as much power as you can find.

As to the Krell sound, it is very "precise". There is no right or wrong about any of this, of course, as it is all personal taste, but I think the Krell will sound a bit more analytic than the ARC. I think there will be a sizable contrast between the ARC and the Krell. Please post your impressions after you listen.

Good Luck

Hi David,

Many thanks for your comments. I too am looking forward to comparing the two amplifier and expect a significant difference in the presentation of the music.

I will be sure to post my views after I eventually listen to the amplifiers!

Thanks
Marc.

Back