Please help amp suggestions for my Aeon I speakers

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

Moo

I currently have a Musical Fidelity A300 driving my speakers. There's just a little too much clang to the sound which is otherwise quite articulate and detailed. Ultimately, it's missing a smoother presentation and could do with a little more three-dimensionality and openess.
I've tried an older Rogue Audio Tempest (60w) which had the midrange but not enough clout or dynamics. I understand tube amps can generally be a little lacking in current delivery to drive the Aeon's effectively, although I hear ARC's VSi55 might suffice.
I wish to keep the price (new or used) under $2.5k. Hi-Fi World seem to think NuForce's Ref 9se power amps would do the trick with a suitable pre-amp. Others suggest Plinius amplification such as the 8200mkII or the 9200. Even the Cambridge 840a has been touted as a possible giant killer.
I'm keen to hear what you folks have to work well with your ML's when looking for a sound that isn't typically solid state.
Thank you users of fine loudspeakers.

Incidentally, my sources are a modded Project RPM6 with a BPS EVO III and sometimes Goldring 1042/Tube Box SE, and a modded+re-clocked w/PSU Denon DCD-1290 with a Lite Audio DAC60. Interconnects courtesy of Klotz with Eichmann Bullet terminations.
Quality isolation platforms are in use.
Speaker wire is heavily braided CAT-5 (elevated with wooden blocks) which has made Anticables, Tributaries and QED offerings sound like lampwire.
Speakers are 7' from back wall.

Moo said:
I currently have a Musical Fidelity A300 driving my speakers. There's just a little too much clang to the sound which is otherwise quite articulate and detailed. Ultimately, it's missing a smoother presentation and could do with a little more three-dimensionality and openess.
I've tried an older Rogue Audio Tempest (60w) which had the midrange but not enough clout or dynamics. I understand tube amps can generally be a little lacking in current delivery to drive the Aeon's effectively, although I hear ARC's VSi55 might suffice.
I wish to keep the price (new or used) under $2.5k. Hi-Fi World seem to think NuForce's Ref 9se power amps would do the trick with a suitable pre-amp. Others suggest Plinius amplification such as the 8200mkII or the 9200. Even the Cambridge 840a has been touted as a possible giant killer.
I'm keen to hear what you folks have to work well with your ML's when looking for a sound that isn't typically solid state.
Thank you users of fine loudspeakers.

Incidentally, my sources are a modded Project RPM6 with a BPS EVO III and sometimes Goldring 1042/Tube Box SE, and a modded+re-clocked w/PSU Denon DCD-1290 with a Lite Audio DAC60. Interconnects courtesy of Klotz with Eichmann Bullet terminations.
Quality isolation platforms are in use.
Speaker wire is heavily braided CAT-5 (elevated with wooden blocks) which has made Anticables, Tributaries and QED offerings sound like lampwire.
Speakers are 7' from back wall.
Hola Moo. Just thinking loud, have you try to rise your Aeon i about 4 to 5 mm at the front with their spikes and toe them inn about 1/3 of the stat panel facing you? Two to three feet away of the back wall is a must too. Happy listening, good stuff you have...
Roberto.

Yes, I've done the toe-ing in..

managed to get them to completely snap into focus revealing an amazing sound stage and stunning imagery. It's necessary to have then so far from the back wall because of the room layout. I've actually found quality results with lowering them a few mm as opposed to raising them. I'll try raising them in the meantime.
Thanks for the reply.

Moo said:
managed to get them to completely snap into focus revealing an amazing sound stage and stunning imagery. It's necessary to have then so far from the back wall because of the room layout. I've actually found quality results with lowering them a few mm as opposed to raising them. I'll try raising them in the meantime.
Thanks for the reply.
Good to know. Also, if you have them too apart of the back wall, the time delay of the music (signal) could be too much and can loose 3 D. Play with them...my experience and liking so far for most all ML models is about 1.10 m. to 1.15 m., that´s about three feet and something...try it and tell us more...happy listening,
Roberto.

Pre / Power

Hi there,

Have you considered using a tube pre-amp with solid state power? This seems to be an increasingly popular combination, giving the smoothness of tubes with the grip and current delivery of solid state to drive the speakers.

Cheers,

David

Agree w/ tube preamp suggestion

Made a world of difference. Went to a Tube Audio Design TAD-150 from a Rotel RC-1070. After that, went with tube monoblock amps. But a very noticeable difference going from SS to tube preamp. You can find a nice used preamp without breaking the bank.

Amp suggestions

Just a thought: If you are looking for a reasonably priced amp that is absolutely stable driving difficult loads, some of the older McIntosh amps still sound pretty good after 20-30 years of use. They generally offer sweet, non-fatiguing mids, extended highs, and DEEP bass.

Best of all, for the price, they can offer a lot of bang for the buck. :)

Some of the better-sounding examples from the '70s and '80s can be had for next to nothing and come up from time to time on A'gon or eBay.

Latest posts

Back