Phono Cables and MartinLogans

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aliveatfive

Reaction score
I've always found that MLs are sensitive to cable changes anywhere in the system. I've been using Harmonic Tech Silver Crystal phono cable (RCA to RCA) to connect between my tonearm (modified Graham 1.5t) and my phono preamp (Whest). I find this combination a bit too bright when I play lps. Other sources sound fine. Any suggestions for a slightly less aggressive phono cable?

I would be interested too. I am currently using some Monster cables for that. I still have the original cabling in my TT/arm and was wondering if it is really an improvement. I have an old Thorens TD125 with a Shure SME 3000 arm. Still works great just had it serviced and the guy that did it said wow!!

Jeff
:cool:

Hi Jeff -

I literally inherited (from a colleague who unfortunately passed away) a TD124 with an SME 3012. It is in need of repair, but I'd love to get it fixed. The old stuff can really sound good. I'd like to compare it to my SME 10.

I got my TD125 from my dad. I also have an old B&O and bfore that I had a TD124 with an Ortofon arm and cartridge.
The guy that serviced my Thorens said it is still a great table and hard to beat.
I still sounds good to me. THe only thing I have done is replace the cartridge and the mat.

Jeff :cool:

aliveatfive said:
I've always found that MLs are sensitive to cable changes anywhere in the system. I've been using Harmonic Tech Silver Crystal phono cable (RCA to RCA) to connect between my tonearm (modified Graham 1.5t) and my phono preamp (Whest). I find this combination a bit too bright when I play lps. Other sources sound fine. Any suggestions for a slightly less aggressive phono cable?
Hola...is your cartridge MC or MM?...you could use different cartridge load to find your liking...hope this can help! Happy listening,
Roberto.

Roberto -

My cartridge is a Shelter 90x and loading it from 100 ohms to 47k doesn't change the sound much. Have also used a Lyra Helicon and a Herron tubed phono pre and have not noticed much of a change.

aliveatfive said:
Roberto -

My cartridge is a Shelter 90x and loading it from 100 ohms to 47k doesn't change the sound much. Have also used a Lyra Helicon and a Herron tubed phono pre and have not noticed much of a change.
mmmm, yes you are right with your observation...Have you tryed less ohms, about 10 ohm? Sometimes you could control better the bass and make the cartridge less bright. Other posibility is to use a different cable...yes you are right...very bright sound. Try to use a higher capacitance cable...this will make the sound less bright. Hope this can help.
Happy listening,
Roberto.

aliveatfive said:
Roberto -

Hi,
Instead of changing the load resistance, which tends to act equally on all frequncies, and basically just reduces the overall output of the cartridge as the resistance goes down, why not adjust the load capacitance? This will affect the high frequencies much more than the other frequencies, and will allow you to tailor the frequency response to what you prefer. Higher capacitance cables are one method, but you can also add capacitance with physical capacitors across the signal path.

My .02 worth,
Peter

The guy that runs "The Cable Company" really knows his stuff:

http://www.fatwyre.com/

I recently upgraded my RCA to RCA phono connector per his recomendation - he was right on target.

Cardas Neutral Reference ...............and best price around if you ask me.

I wrote about it before, it was as big of transformation to my system as when I went with a tube preamp and power amp. This is one serious tweek my friends.

My system:
http://www.martinloganowners.com/~tdacquis/forum/showthread.php?t=531&highlight=Cardas

Latest posts

Back