Pay attention to electrical polarity

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Andre

ML owners, please take extra care in making sure that the electrical power to your speakers are of the correct polarity, as well as the other equipments. Also make sure you have a good ground. Otherwise, you may experience this: muffled/veiled sound, boomy bass. I found that electrostatics are more prone to this anomaly than box speakers.
Cheers... :cool:

Andre said:
ML owners, please take extra care in making sure that the electrical power to your speakers are of the correct polarity, as well as the other equipments. Also make sure you have a good ground. Otherwise, you may experience this: muffled/veiled sound, boomy bass. I found that electrostatics are more prone to this anomaly than box speakers.

Why dont you try with a small UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply) between tha wall and each of your speakers. It will probably set you back only 50 - 100$ pr. UPS and you'll get blacker background (better dynamics), deeper and better bass and a more musical presentation of your CD's / DVD's / SACD's.

Gogogo :)

Andre said:

Andre, not sure I follow why polarity of source for the charge would have any effect on the electrostats sound. It is Alternating Current after all...

Now, if you want to do something about line noise with filtering or with balanced power, that's another topic. But polarity :confused:

Andre said:

Hi,
He is comparing this anomoly in 'box' speakers to electrostats...I believe he is referring to the speaker wires being out of phase, not the polarity of the AC power leads (as 'box' speakers have no AC power leads). Out of phase speakers are not going to sound correct, regardless of the speaker type.

Peter

The only reason why I would twist the mains plug is when I have hum and want to reduce it. Sometimes it works and the simple explantion is that the primary winding of the transformer is not symmetrical towards ground. The capacitance between line and ground isn't the same as between neutral and ground.

Latest posts

Back