• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Martin Logan Owners and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Parting out Descent-I

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spatel

Reaction score
One of the amp boards has blown ....I'm parting this bad boy out

Please let me know who needs what

$500 for the entire unit

Located in Central NJ

Please contact me. I am interested in some of the parts. Thanks

Final call ...Taking best offers .....prefer local pickup ..located in Central New Jersey

Last edited:
Would it be as simple as connecting the amp to the speaker terminals on the subwoofer, or would you need to do some work on the wiring inside the sub?
The sub only accepts line level input so you'll need to do surgery inside.
You're totally bypassing the original amplifier, the driver itself accepts an amplifier connection just like any other speaker out there. All signal connection would be done on the amplifier you're adding.

The sub only accepts line level input so you'll need to do surgery inside.
I didnt realize that it has no speaker terminals like my Depth i has.

Screenshot_20230904-144202_Drive.jpg

You're totally bypassing the original amplifier, the driver itself accepts an amplifier connection just like any other speaker out there. All signal connection would be done on the amplifier you're adding.
I'm not sure if it's so straightforward because there are 3 drivers, and they are each servo-controlled ie. there are 2 pairs of wires to each woofer, one for power one for the sensing circuit.

1693879056355.png

It's not simple or straightforward to replace a subwoofer amp with a generic amp. You're taking the mechanical servo feedback out of the loop. The original amp probably doesn't have a flat transfer function, since the designers have the opportunity to incorporate the parameters of the drivers into it, and the loop gain is part of it. These are the features that enable a modern active sub to go deep with low "hangover" and low distortion.

Also, don't confuse the speaker level terminals on a sub with those on ordinary passive speakers. They are just a convenient, and in my opinion suboptimal, way of driving it, if you don't have separates, or pre outs and power ins on your integrated (though some pundits, like Audiophilliac Steve Gutenberg, say that's the way to go regardless). They are isolated from the speaker terminals by electronics, and usually create a mono sum for the built-in amp to use.

I wasn't aware it was a servo controlled woofer, I have never played with one of those.

Regardless, it's very easy to replace a built in subwoofer amplifier with one that's external. Many new pro amplifiers have all the necessary functionality to do whatever is needed DSP and crossover wise. I have 4 subwoofers in my living room that are run exactly this way.

Back