panels: SL3 vs Summit

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Having owned SL3s a number of years ago my approach would be this.

I had heard Summits quite a few times at club members homes while I owned the SL3. For me, there is no doubt the Summit is a better speaker. If you should ever need replacement panels they would be a newer generation.

Well the replacement panels arrived at last - took them 6 months!

They do sound glorious, glad I kept them.
In fact they sound better than when I had them first time, since the old panels were already 6 years old back then.
Quite efficient too, at the listening position they are not far off the Revels I have next to them.

Congrats JohnA..... I put new panels in my SL3's about 2 months ago.... the break-in was a rollercoaster. They started good... got better.... then got worse, and really wierd and dark for about a week, and then cleared up. They've sounded just about right for the past couple weeks. Now that I think they've stabilized, I'm going to replace some crossover caps.

Thanks for the headsup!

I've had a look at the crossover caps and decided to leave them alone.
They are not overworked or cooked like power amp electrolytics tend to be, and my crossover is the last SL3 incarnation with only one electrolytic anyway (low pass for the woofers I think)

I think my SL3 Xover is the middle incarnation, and strangely the main 30uf HP panel cap is (15uF electrolytic + 15uF film cap), so I've purchased Jantzen Z-caps from Parts Express to put in there. I'll let you know how it turns out.

I've also made covers for the panels and now always use them any time the panels are not in use.
Easy-peasy, cotton pillow cases from Amazon, they fit nicely (need to cut them with scissors at the bottom a few inches)
Got two pairs, one looks fancy, inner one plain soft cotton.
They come on/off together in seconds. No fuss.
I'm taking no chances with panel longevity again!

Back