panel trim sequel II

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vimara

Reaction score
Hi, I have sequel II, the two panels were switched at the same time a few years ago, but now there is one that sounds brighter than the other, I have changed the circuits but the problem continues on the same screen so I suppose I have a panel with worse performance than the other, is there anything that can be done? do to balance them? thanks

power them off for 24 hours, then use a strong vacuum on the panels.. both the front and the back. Then listen to them. If the problem still exists, I would contact MartinLogan service dept and let them guide you what to do. It's either the panel going bad or something going on the power supply.

check ur stat connections up front under the grill these speakers stat panels have a tendency to drop down an pull the stat connections lose. u have to take the side wood slats off then the grill and u can see underneath if the connections have come lose or broken. good luck the same thing happen to my sl3’s. martin logan will mail u brackets to stop this.

Thanks guys
I think have a problem with filter.
but I need schematic for sequel II but i can't to found.
I carry on looking for.
thanks

I don't know about the sl3, I've only seen the power supply, but not the filter.

As TomDac mentioned, try vacuuming them first. If that doesn't fix the issue, try checking the connections to the panel as khenegar1 suggested.

I have two suggestions...

1) I would open the back of the woofer enclosure to gain access to the power supply and crossovers. Any connections that are terminated via screws or spades, I would remove them, inspect them and reconnect them. It could be as simple as oxidation on the connections, and simply removing them and reinstalling them could fix the issue, making some fresh wire to metal contact.

2) Those Sequel II's are probably close to or over 30 years old. Any electrolytic caps that are in the power supply section could certainly stand to be replaced as those may be the culprit. Also, if there are any electrolytic caps in the high-pass section of the crossover (the panel section), those could also be a source of the problem and should be replaced.

Tosh, from the few various pictures I was able to pull up on Google the Sequel II crossovers look nothing like my SL3 crossovers, so doubtful that the SL3 schematic would be of any use, not to mention there were three different revisions of the SL3 crossover network over the years.

Thanks, a question about the power supply, I have seen in some forum that the transformer output has to be 460V and the high output of 1100v aprox, I have measured and I have 240V from the transformer in both sources, and measured with a 500V DC tester and 600V alternating at the high output. Could it be part of the problem? the source is European so it goes to 220V, but it had occurred to me that by turning the switch to 110V the voltage would double and so it would be the same as the measurements that have been given by some forum. What do you think about it?

Back