Panasonic PT-AE700 Projector - fried by lightning

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edwinr

Reaction score
I was watching a movie the other night. My wife warned me a thunderstorm was on the way. About halfway through the movie, I saw lightning flashes out the window, so I thought I should maybe switch my gear off. Just as I was thinking about getting up from my comfy seat, there was an extra large flash and then a sudden bang. We lost power and I could smell that awful plastic burning smell.

After the storm passed and we had power back, I checked my gear. The anti-surge protector circuit breakers had activated, but my worst fears were realised. My projector was fried. I had just recently installed a new lamp! Obviously the surge protector doesn't work real well with lightning strikes...

I took my projector into the local electrical repair dude. He said it was fried(!)

I contacted my insurance company and :banana: I had 'lightning damage' as an option in my policy. I submitted all the paper stuff that insurance companies like and they rang me today to tell me they are going to replace my 6 year old Panasonic PT-AE700u projector with a brand new (but recently superseded) Panasonic PT-AE4000 projector.

I can't argue with that.

I had a good run with my PT-AE700. It was 'only' 720p but the image quality playing blu-ray was outstanding. The new projector is a true 1080p model. On a pull-down 92 inch screen, the picture quality should be stunning.

I guess if I pushed the issue, I could offer to pay the difference for the new Panasonic PT-AE7000 3D projector. Frankly, I'm not sold on 3D with glasses. I currently own a Sony 40 inch 3D television and neither I, nor my kids think much of this format.

The new PT-AE4000 should arrive in the next few days.

Last edited:
I was watching a movie the other night. My wife warned me a thunderstorm was on the way. About halfway through the movie, I saw lightning flashes out the window, so I thought I should maybe switch my gear off. Just as I was thinking about getting up from my comfy seat, there was an extra large flash and then a sudden bang. We lost power and I could smell that awful plastic burning smell.

After the storm passed and we had power back, I checked my gear. The anti-surge protector circuit breakers had activated, but my worst fears were realised. My projector was fried. I had just recently installed a new lamp! Obviously the surge protector doesn't work real well with lightning strikes...

I took my projector into the local electrical repair dude. He said it was fried(!)

I contacted my insurance company and :banana: I had 'lightning damage' as an option in my policy. I submitted all the paper stuff that insurance companies like and they rang me today to tell me they are going to replace my 6 year old Panasonic PT-AE700u projector with a brand new (but recently superseded) Panasonic PT-AE4000 projector.

I can't argue with that.

I had a good run with my PT-AE700. It was 'only' 720p but the image quality playing blu-ray was outstanding. The new projector is a true 1080p model. On a pull-down 92 inch screen, the picture quality should be stunning.

I guess if I pushed the issue, I could offer to pay the difference for the new Panasonic PT-AE7000 3D projector. Frankly, I'm not sold on 3D with glasses. I currently own a Sony 40 inch 3D television and neither I, nor my kids think much of this format.

The new PT-AE4000 should arrive in the next few days.

Great news! the 4000 is an excellent proj. I've been enjoying the 3000 for a few years now. Time to replace the bulb actually. Perhaps I should time that replacement just prior to a storm? :)

Great news! the 4000 is an excellent proj. I've been enjoying the 3000 for a few years now. Time to replace the bulb actually. Perhaps I should time that replacement just prior to a storm? :)

LOL! Maybe you should.

I have to admit, I was very upset the lightning hit just after I installed a new lamp - they're not cheap. But I'm now happy I'm getting a new projector.

BTW. Last night my kids and I sat down to watch The Smurfs in 3D on my Sony TV. The kids only lasted about halfway through the movie before they wanted to remove the 3D glasses and watch the movie in 2D. My 5 year old complained her eyes were hurting. My 8 year old said the glasses were hurting his nose. My 12 year old said the 3D effect was making him feel nauseous. This is the first time we have attempted to watch a full length movie in 3D. Prior to this we've watched segments of 3D movies just for fun and to experience the 3D effect. Last night's experience has reinforced my decision to stick to 2D for my new projector.

Last edited:
Hi Ed,

Sounds like you made lemonade out of lemons.

Congratulations and kudos to your insurance agent for having integrity.

Next time you see some lightning, ............................. :D

GG

Back