Panasonic Digital Recievers

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

longhorn

Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with them? Other forums are raving about them.

I have the sa-XR55 for my bedroom. For the price (220 shipped at amazon) I think it is a great receiver. Since it is only driving two speakers it has a special dual-amp mode for double the power.
It has all the newest surround modes, is extremely light and I highly reccommend it for a starter system or just as a preamp.

* Model number: SA-XR55S
* Power output (stereo mode): 100 W x 6 (20 to 20000 Hz, 0.9-percent THD, 6 ohms)
* Power output (home theater mode): 100 W x 6 (1000 Hz, 0.9-percent THD, 6 ohms)
* Frequency response: 4 to 88000 Hz, +/-3 dB
* S/N ratio (IHF A): Digital input: 85 dB (103dB, IHF'66)
* Load impedance: 6 to 8 ohms
* S-video input/output: 3 inputs, 1 output
* Video input/output: 5 inputs, 2 outputs
* Digital input/output: 4 inputs (2 optical, 2 coaxial)
* Audio input/output: 7 inputs, 2 outputs
* HDMI input/output: No
* Tuner type: Digital AM/FM
* Tuner frequency: FM: 87.9 to 107.9 MHz; AM: 530 to 1710 kHz
* Remote control: Yes (deluxe universal remote control)
* Color: Silver
* Dimensions: 16.94 x 4.22 x 15.5 inches (WxHxD)
* Weight: 9.9 pounds

Last edited:
Actually, there is little use for this receiver as a pre/pro. The buzz on the forums is based on reports of extraordinary performance of the digital amps. As I recall, the amps are based on the same design of a digital amp from a hi end company I cannot recall off the top of my head. The biamp feature is a great addition and many users have reported amazing results with speakers like Maggies and Martin Logans. The digital amps easily drive low impedence loads and put out amazing amounts of watts and current. On the down side, there is no on screen display and the the looks are kinda klunky. But if you have heard and like top rate digital amps, this little receiver gives you a great taste of that at a ridiculously low price.

Munster said:
I have the sa-XR55 for my bedroom. For the price (220 shipped at amazon) I think it is a great receiver. Since it is only driving two speakers it has a special dual-amp mode for double the power.
It has all the newest surround modes, is extremely light and I highly reccommend it for a starter system or just as a preamp.

* Model number: SA-XR55S
* Power output (stereo mode): 100 W x 6 (20 to 20000 Hz, 0.9-percent THD, 6 ohms)
* Power output (home theater mode): 100 W x 6 (1000 Hz, 0.9-percent THD, 6 ohms)
* Frequency response: 4 to 88000 Hz, +/-3 dB
* S/N ratio (IHF A): Digital input: 85 dB (103dB, IHF'66)
* Load impedance: 6 to 8 ohms
* S-video input/output: 3 inputs, 1 output
* Video input/output: 5 inputs, 2 outputs
* Digital input/output: 4 inputs (2 optical, 2 coaxial)
* Audio input/output: 7 inputs, 2 outputs
* HDMI input/output: No
* Tuner type: Digital AM/FM
* Tuner frequency: FM: 87.9 to 107.9 MHz; AM: 530 to 1710 kHz
* Remote control: Yes (deluxe universal remote control)
* Color: Silver
* Dimensions: 16.94 x 4.22 x 15.5 inches (WxHxD)
* Weight: 9.9 pounds

What is the sound quality like? Some on other forums have stated to get the one with HDMI outputs. They state the sound quality is better through this connection.

The sound quality will not be "better" but an hdmi connection will afford simplicity in the future.
Hdmi will allow for one digital connection for both audio and video rather than multiple cables but you can get the same sound with this model through the digital connections (optical or coaxial). Hope that answers your question.

Munster said:
The sound quality will not be "better" but an hdmi connection will afford simplicity in the future.
Hdmi will allow for one digital connection for both audio and video rather than multiple cables but you can get the same sound with this model through the digital connections (optical or coaxial). Hope that answers your question.

Thanks,it does answer my question. What other products did you listen to first before you decided on the Panasonic? NAD? Rotel? Arcam? What about the Panasonic sound that appeals to you (soundstage,imaging)? The Panny specs state the ability to run 6-8 ohm speakers,are you running 2-4 ohm Martins on it?

Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions

Back