Pairing TUBE amplifiers with Motion Series speakers - anyone else ???

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

decooney

Reaction score
>> Experimenting with pairing up tube amplification with Motion 40 and Motion 60 XTi speakers <<.
And, due to their higher 92-94db sensitivity and nice driver compliment is why.

Background Research so far:
Doing some searches on various forums, I did not see much about this pairing lately with any specifics. Found some old threads back in 2013, not so much lately. Perhaps it's a "been there done that" thing, not sure. Found recent Youtube videos with a few folks paring fairly nice integrated tube amplifiers with ML Motion Series speakers. Seems people are doing it, maybe in a "sleeper", kinda way, as tbd. :)

ML 40:
I bought the Motion 40 (92db sensitivity) for my home theater a year ago, and just for grins recently tried the Motion 40s on my 2ch system with KT150 based mono tube amplifiers. Kind of a nice pairing.

ML 60 XTI:
A friend decided to do a home demo with the latest 60XTI "i" version Motion speaker (94db sensitivity). He is already reporting early positive results so far. 60s seem to need 100hr+ burn-in time.

Disclaimer Note:
i.e. listening to these speakers at Magnolia / BestBuy on a generic home theater receiver does not count. Only with good tube amps at home with decent cabling is what I'm referring to for your feedback.

Thanks in advance for your replies, reviews, hands-on evaluations, updates on pairing tube amps with Motion Series speakers.

REQUEST:
Anyone else? Which tube amps? Which Motion Series speakers did you try with a TUBE amp @ home?

>> Experimenting with pairing up tube amplification with Motion 40 and Motion 60 XTi speakers <<.
And, due to their higher 92-94db sensitivity and nice driver compliment is why.

Background Research so far:
Doing some searches on various forums, I did not see much about this pairing lately with any specifics. Found some old threads back in 2013, not so much lately. Perhaps it's a "been there done that" thing, not sure. Found recent Youtube videos with a few folks paring fairly nice integrated tube amplifiers with ML Motion Series speakers. Seems people are doing it, maybe in a "sleeper", kinda way, as tbd. :)

ML 40:
I bought the Motion 40 (92db sensitivity) for my home theater a year ago, and just for grins recently tried the Motion 40s on my 2ch system with KT150 based mono tube amplifiers. Kind of a nice pairing.

ML 60 XTI:
A friend decided to do a home demo with the latest 60XTI "i" version Motion speaker (94db sensitivity). He is already reporting early positive results so far. 60s seem to need 100hr+ burn-in time.

Disclaimer Note:
i.e. listening to these speakers at Magnolia / BestBuy on a generic home theater receiver does not count. Only with good tube amps at home with decent cabling is what I'm referring to for your feedback.

Thanks in advance for your replies, reviews, hands-on evaluations, updates on pairing tube amps with Motion Series speakers.

REQUEST:
Anyone else? Which tube amps? Which Motion Series speakers did you try with a TUBE amp @ home?
I was under the impression that the Motion series was for motion pictures.

The larger stat hybrids for 2-channel and perhaps tubes.

I guess if pressed for space the Motion series is as good as any other mini monitor bookshelf speaker - or expect it so.

As it turns out they work better in a dual role, for those who must.

While I don't use mine for anything but HT, my friend demoed 60XTi for two channel tube and it did not do too bad for the price. Noticed a little spike in freq response between 10k-15khz. Maybe not idea for 2ch audio but decent for dialog and home theater. Will keep using my 40s for HT, friend returned demo 60s. Agree, starting ESL-9s up, maybe for 2ch listening stat panels.

Back