Quantcast

Overzealous censor, or the disappearing bird

MartinLogan Owners (MLO)

Help Support MartinLogan Owners (MLO):

dbakker@wwnet.com

Reaction score
Looking at thread which posted my system # 107, I found this most amazing word: "peac**k".

It is with trembling hand that I once again feel obliged to type the offending name of this magnificent bird "pea****", which I used originally in the context of living by the side of a zoo.

I probably should have played it safe and should have referred to it by it's latin nomenclature: Pavo. Little chance for that to have been asterixed by your eager censor, but I doubt that many would have picked up on it by that name.

What is even more astonishing is the fact that we censored a bird that would have a hard time of vanishing indeed; it can hardly fly, but then again the word also did not vanish in it's entirety.

I can see a need to vanish a gender mistake on the part of the author and would not have been suprised to have found "peac**t, but gentlemen honestly.....peac**k?

Last edited:

TomDac

former MLO owner/operator
Staff member
Reaction score
There is a list or words that are deemed offensive by the vBulletin software and "cock" is one of them. There are ways around this.. like making one of the letters bold, like I just did.

Thanks for the post. :)

Tom.

dbakker@wwnet.com

Reaction score
Hello Tom,

I had figured as much, but the word is "Peac**k" not "C**k" or "Pea-C**k". If the software bans all parts of compounded words, thousands of words will be banned from our vocabulary. In this small example several other animals will be vanished, the c**k, the c*ckatoo, the c*ckroach and the co*kle.
Noah's ark will be much the lesser for it.

Will even Mr. Dickens and Mr C***teau disappear from our literary pantheon?

P.S. Sorry I haven't figured out how to bold text yet but you get the idea.

Dirk

Last edited:

Latest posts