Only power the panels when in use?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

18000rpm

Reaction score
Apparently the new ESL line only power the panels when it detects a signal. This is to reduce dust build-up by not having the panels charged all the time.

Would it be advisable to do that with older MLs? Specifically my Prodigies. I can easily hook things up so that the panels are only powered when the amp is on.

I thought the panels on the Prodigy speakers turn off after a period of non use. I know on mine the lights turn off. I assumed the panels went off when the lights did. Guess I was wrong?

I was just reading that after 1995 Martin Logan made it so all their speakers turn off and don't stay on all the time to help keep them clean.

I was just reading that after 1995 Martin Logan made it so all their speakers turn off and don't stay on all the time to help keep them clean.
That lines up with what I figured. I can only affirm that the lights turn off after time with no signal. How could someone figure out if the charge on the panel turns off? Pretty sure the charge remains on the panel for many hours after it turns off anyhow.

That's what I thought too until I read this review:

https://www.stereophile.com/content/martinlogan-masterpiece-renaissance-esl-15a-loudspeaker
Where you don't have an option is with the ESL 15A's signal-sensing power supply, which puts the speaker into standby when not in use for several minutes. It takes only a couple seconds to recharge the panels when the music starts up again, but that's just long enough to make you want to restart the first song. I asked MartinLogan if this could somehow be bypassed, but no dice. And when the speakers turn themselves on, the subs emit a soft clack-clack. The Prodigy's panels are always on, so long as the speaker is plugged into the wall, so it's always ready to play at the first note. ML explains that the primary purpose of the Renaissance's sensing circuitry is to prevent dust from being attracted to the charged panels. Oh well.

Anyone know for sure?

My Vistas were made in 2009. When the little blue light was not illuminated the panels would not make sound, until audio was sensed.

From what I read in the Prodigy manual it operates the same way.

My Vistas were made in 2009. When the little blue light was not illuminated the panels would not make sound, until audio was sensed.

From what I read in the Prodigy manual it operates the same way.
Yeah, just found it in the online manual.

"The Prodigys integrate a signal sensing power supply which will switch off after a few minutes of no music signal, and requires less than two seconds to recharge the panels when
a music signal is present."

Ah, thanks for the confirmation guys. How strange that ML told the Stereophile reviewer incorrect info.

BTW- even with the sense circuits, I still cut the power to the speakers when the system is in standby.
I intend to keep the panels as pristine as I can for as long as possible.

BTW- even with the sense circuits, I still cut the power to the speakers when the system is in standby.
I intend to keep the panels as pristine as I can for as long as possible.
Do some people put covers over the panels when they aren't being used? Wondering if the speakers come with cloth covers when you buy them new.

Any places sell covers for them?

Do some people put covers over the panels when they aren't being used? Wondering if the speakers come with cloth covers when you buy them new.

Any places sell covers for them?
Yes, they come with covers. I believe they are lint free. I don't use mine, and didn't on my previous pair.
No smoke, pets, grease, just the dust that the Dyson air purifier doesn't catch - and yes it makes a difference.

I just unplug mine when away and when storms with lightning are approaching.

Yes, they come with covers. I believe they are lint free. I don't use mine, and didn't on my previous pair.
No smoke, pets, grease, just the dust that the Dyson air purifier doesn't catch - and yes it makes a difference.

I just unplug mine when away and when storms with lightning are approaching.
Ok. Ive got an air purifier on our central heat/ air system for the whole house. Gets much of the dust.

My Prodigy’s turn on and of without audio signal is being passes on to them. I have superredskab that it might be cause by some sort of noise or faulty sensing circuit. Any one had the same experience. Btw. there is no sound coming from panels or bas.

My Prodigy’s turn on and of without audio signal is being passes on to them. I have superredskab that it might be cause by some sort of noise or faulty sensing circuit. Any one had the same experience. Btw. there is no sound coming from panels or bas.

Looks like often (not always) ONE of my Prodigies is on even when there's no signal. The "M" logo is lit. Sigh. The other is fine.

I had two Sumiko subs and while the entire system was off, one of them was always cycling off then on, every 11 minutes. So it was effectively on all the time. Not a big deal power-wise because it was only a couple watts, but I could hear the soft click when the room was quiet. So the sensing circuits are apparently not foolproof.

Back