OLED TV image burn in, mine has it now

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ordered the 64GB, as well. I have TV's in every room & a 12' screen in the Theatre. I use a Fire Stick 4K on each, except 5 FireStick 4K Cubes on the newest installations.
I want to try the Apple TV 4K in the Theatre with the Martin Logans & Krell Amps. I have 4) Atmos ceiling mounted speakers driven by 2 old Threshold SA4E (Nelson Pass) Stasis amps, so the added benefit of Atmos sound will be a huge benefit. I only get Atmos from Blu-Ray presently. Very excited about this!

I ordered the 64GB, as well. I have TV's in every room & a 12' screen in the Theatre. I use a Fire Stick 4K on each, except 5 FireStick 4K Cubes on the newest installations.
I want to try the Apple TV 4K in the Theatre with the Martin Logans & Krell Amps. I have 4) Atmos ceiling mounted speakers driven by 2 old Threshold SA4E (Nelson Pass) Stasis amps, so the added benefit of Atmos sound will be a huge benefit. I only get Atmos from Blu-Ray presently. Very excited about this!
I tested it last night and I was getting Atmos on Netflix! Amazon FIre Stick does not have that. Stupid app I think. My Firestick does get Atmos on HBO Max, select shows. That was the only Atmos I ever got on it.

The Apple has Atmos on HBO Max and Netflix. Im pretty sure some movies on Amazon have it too.

Got the brand new Apple tv 4k today. So far it seems great! Today was the first day for customers to receive them in the mail. I preordered on day 1. The Dobly Atmos is outstanding! Big improvement in sound over the Amazon firestick 4k. The picture is a bit better too, but doesnt seem like a huge difference. It has some nice features too. This new box will be good for gaming too. Ive not looked at the games yet. Seems they have a subscription service on there too.

Apple TV 4K - Apple
I picked one up today at the Apple Store near me. I also went with the 64GB model, no reason not to. I like the new remote better than the previous ATV4K from 2018 which is too thin making it more difficult to handle easily, and with the touchpad at the top I often initiate commands when picking it up. The 2021 remote is thicker with a rounded back, and the round touch pad seems easier to work with while not mistakenly goofing up something.

I picked one up today at the Apple Store near me. I also went with the 64GB model, no reason not to. I like the new remote better than the previous ATV4K from 2018 which is too thin making it more difficult to handle easily, and with the touchpad at the top I often initiate commands when picking it up. The 2021 remote is thicker with a rounded back, and the round touch pad seems easier to work with while not mistakenly goofing up something.
It holds a charge for a long long time too. I charged mine to 100% rather fast too.

I have noticed this on my LG OLED65E6P as well, particularly network symbols in the screen corners. Annoying, but typically not problematic when watching programming. I don't think it bothersome enough to keep me from buying another OLED since I love how it looks. Next time a 77"!

The sound quality is not up to snuff. The sound on the external devices is far superior. In the past I wasnt even able to output dolby 5.1 to my receiver. It would come out stereo through the optic cable. Its some kind of license issue last time I looked. I have it hooked up to my home theater, which is a 11 channel Atmos through my Marantz receiver. I just plug the Apple directly into the receiver.

I havent tried again to run sound out through a newer tv because of my crappy experience from years back. I know my last LG OLED wasnt able to put out dolby 5.1 through the optic. I hassled with it for days, there was no way to do it.

The sound and picture through the Apple is incredible. The Amazon Fire stick 4k is good too, but the sound is lacking a bit. Firestick is still better than sound through the tv.
Thanks. Have tried output via eARC on HDMI 2.1 to the receiver? Any HDMI2.0 and above can pass though Atmos, I believe.

Why did you buy ATV4K? WebOS on LG has AppleTV app (along with all the other streaming services), and the new generation of OLED has Dolby Atmos, Vision as well as HDR10+.

Apple TV app on WebOS allows you to access Apple TV content.

The ATV4K device on the other hand replaces the WebOS altogether and becomes your UI for watching any content. Some prefer Apple's UI.

I have noticed this on my LG OLED65E6P as well, particularly network symbols in the screen corners. Annoying, but typically not problematic when watching programming. I don't think it bothersome enough to keep me from buying another OLED since I love how it looks. Next time a 77"!
After a few years the symbols do burn in, but they aren't visible most of the time. I'm still using my old 55 inch in the basement even though it has the burn in.

Thanks. Have tried output via eARC on HDMI 2.1 to the receiver? Any HDMI2.0 and above can pass though Atmos, I believe.
Back when I was messing with it, there wasn't ARC yet. Once I used the external streamers I got used to their amenities and didn't want to go back. They are cheap too. The Amazon Firestick 4k is only around $60. The new top of the line Apple tv 4k is $200. Lots of cool features on them.

We had to buy my daughter a new laptop because hers went out. Looking at new ones, I was surprised to find one that has an OLED screen. You'd think a pc would be really bad for burn in, especially on the desktop view with all of the icons on it that never move.

My HTC Vive VR headset is OLED too. So far no burn in on those, but not too many stationary things in VR since you are walking around the room.

My HTC Vive VR headset is OLED too. So far no burn in on those, but not too many stationary things in VR since you are walking around the room.

The Vive Pro 2 has been announced @ 5K per eye and they went to LCD for refresh speed and latency reasons. Those are not nearly as much of an issue for TV's and that's not to say OLED is not superior in many ways.

Back when I was messing with it, there wasn't ARC yet. Once I used the external streamers I got used to their amenities and didn't want to go back. They are cheap too. The Amazon Firestick 4k is only around $60. The new top of the line Apple tv 4k is $200. Lots of cool features on them.
Thx. I own 3 ATVs (gen 3, 4 and 5) and other than the new remote, I didn’t see much improvement over the gen 5, 4k version. I know it’s faster too.

I was thinking that when I replace my burned in LG C6 OLED, I won’t need the ATV4K; hence, the question. After going through the effort to set up my 5.1.4 HT sounds, I definitely want to keep Atmos/DTS-x but I also hate having all the remotes.

Sounds like it’s more of preference than anything else and not for technical reasons.

Thanks again!

Thx. I own 3 ATVs (gen 3, 4 and 5) and other than the new remote, I didn’t see much improvement over the gen 5, 4k version. I know it’s faster too.

I was thinking that when I replace my burned in LG C6 OLED, I won’t need the ATV4K; hence, the question. After going through the effort to set up my 5.1.4 HT sounds, I definitely want to keep Atmos/DTS-x but I also hate having all the remotes.

Sounds like it’s more of preference than anything else and not for technical reasons.

Thanks again!
If I were you I would compare picture and sound quality. Compare the Apple tv to the tv streamer. Right now I only need to use 3 remotes on a regular basis. The receiver, the cable, and the apple tv. The cable is universal and works a lot but not the apple tv. I think my Marantz remote is universal but I havent tried to program it. I like just using my cable remote for everything I can because if a button breaks down I just go in and get a new remote free of charge. I try not to use 'my" remotes as much as I can. Ive got my 4k player programmed into the cable remote.

Hmmm, I'm getting great reception and surround sound with my rabbit ears antenna! I just have to tell the wife to adjust the angle of the ears once in awhile. Plus I have a next gen AI remote controller that is smarter than anything that is out or will be out for two decades. She can change the channel, adjust the rabbit ears AND make me popcorn! Plus if I holler loud enough, she will bring my dinner to my chair. My remote is truly next gen!!

You should get a commission for beta testing all these TVs!
That's what it feels like I am doing ! Beta testing! I guess quality control isnt what it used to be. I cant have that bad of luck can I? Hard to believe that my luck is this bad.

Here are the recent brand new audio video products that I have bought and had to return because of problems:

1. Marantz Receiver, 2nd from the highest price model. I cant remember the issue but it showed up in the first few days and was serious. I want to say that several channels on the Atmos receiver did not work.

2.Martin Logan Focus speaker had a lose speaker terminal

3. Sony 85 inch tv would turn itself off after 1 minute or so and not come back on.

4. LG 86 inch had the "dirty screen effect"

That is the current state of affairs' of electronics nowadays. Look at the thousands, (millions?) that get phones that are bad right out of the box. They get so many they can just toss them all in the trash and churn out new replacements. Amazon throws million of items in the trash on a monthly basis that is brand new in the box. They figure it is not worth the time and effort to look at any return for any reason if it is under a few hundred bucks. All that brand new stuff returned for any reason (such as not what I wanted) but works perfectly goes in the trash. I could go on and on but I will spare you all my ravings..... I know I'm an old coot!

That is the current state of affairs' of electronics nowadays. Look at the thousands, (millions?) that get phones that are bad right out of the box. They get so many they can just toss them all in the trash and churn out new replacements. Amazon throws million of items in the trash on a monthly basis that is brand new in the box. They figure it is not worth the time and effort to look at any return for any reason if it is under a few hundred bucks. All that brand new stuff returned for any reason (such as not what I wanted) but works perfectly goes in the trash. I could go on and on but I will spare you all my ravings..... I know I'm an old coot!
I just figured when buying quality like Martin Logan and Marantz that problems right out of the box should be ultra rare. Ive had my share. My Martin Logan Depth i sub had a problem right out of the box too.

Back