OLED TV image burn in, mine has it now

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brand new out of the box $2200 85 inch Sony TV bad out of the box. Seems everything I buy now is broken. The new Martin Logan Focus speaker I bought had a lose speaker terminal.

This has a back light failure according to the light blink series of 4 flashes. Turn it on and a few minutes later it turns off and then won't come back on.

Going to have them take the piece of junk back and get an LG. The Best Buy site was full of complaints of this sane issue. I should have listened.

Sony XBR no longer means quality I guess.

Robert D I hope the second time is the charm. But yes, I hoped when I was warning of current TV quality that you would not get bit by the CRAP that is sold nowadays. Oh well. It should hopefully end up with you getting a great TV. Remember price is NOT a predictor of quality. Every electronic just about made today is full of parts just waiting to fail on us the buyer. It's really a wonder anything works.

Robert D I hope the second time is the charm. But yes, I hoped when I was warning of current TV quality that you would not get bit by the CRAP that is sold nowadays. Oh well. It should hopefully end up with you getting a great TV. Remember price is NOT a predictor of quality. Every electronic just about made today is full of parts just waiting to fail on us the buyer. It's really a wonder anything works.
Well, the Nano LG I have coming is about $300 more expensive. I'm like you though and try to not connect higher price with better quality. It's hard to disassociate the two. I didnt chose the LG because it was more expensive though, it's the features it has and my past experiences.

I've had 3 Samsumg tvs go out in under 5 years. One had a horizontal band of pixels go out in 2 years. So I don't trust them. Plus, Samsung can't do dolby vision. Such a shame.

LG was ok for me, just had the burn in on the OLED, but thats something inherent in OLED tech. Otherwise that tv is still solid.

I bought a Sony XBR back in the late 90s that was an HD crt. It was one of the 1st out. It wasn't even wide screen ratio, but rather the old square shape if I remember right. It was like a tank and lasted many years, no burn in.

Well, the first 85 inch Sony LED wouldn't stay powered on, so got a LG 86 in LED. That one had what's described as the "dirty screen effect" during certain scenes. Certainly shouldn't have been like that. So I swapped out for a 3rd TV. I've now got a 77 inch LG OLED. Finally just settled on another OLED and hope the new software it has will help avoid burn in again. The picture is great, just like my old 55 inch OLED, just a lot bigger. Got another 5 year warranty, so if burn in happens again I will get the cash back to buy a new one.
20210517_000447.jpg

Sorry for your OLED woes!

My 75 and 65" LCD's are going strong and I'm happy with them, but they absolutely don't have the color of OLED or the dynamic range. I had a Plasma set a while back and it burned in really badly which put me off TV's that have that potential.

Sorry for your OLED woes!

My 75 and 65" LCD's are going strong and I'm happy with them, but they absolutely don't have the color of OLED or the dynamic range. I had a Plasma set a while back and it burned in really badly which put me off TV's that have that potential.
The new OLED screens have software that's supposed to prevent burn in, but I know it will still happen. If it happens during the 5 year warranty, I get a new TV.

Bought mine 3.5 years ago. No issues.
Yeah, I did not notice a thing until it was over 4 years old. If you watch a lot of channels that have the channel insignia down in the bottom left or right corners, you probably have some already but dont know it. Go onto youtube and play white screen, gray screen, pink, red, etc. Its easier to see the image burn in with those. We first noticed ours when we were watching a scene in Lord of the Rings were the screen was all bright white. Youll see where the pixels are a bit less bright and form an image. Fox News and about 3 other channels were burned into mine. The tv has a setting you can turn on where it tries to get rid of the burn in, and I guess sometimes it may work. It basically tries to fade the pixels around the burn in so that it blends in better.

I got another 5 year warranty on this new OLED, so I will probably get another new tv out of this too. I got their biggest one at 77 inches. LG is releasing a new one soon that is supposed to be around 83 inches I think.

Got the brand new Apple tv 4k today. So far it seems great! Today was the first day for customers to receive them in the mail. I preordered on day 1. The Dobly Atmos is outstanding! Big improvement in sound over the Amazon firestick 4k. The picture is a bit better too, but doesnt seem like a huge difference. It has some nice features too. This new box will be good for gaming too. Ive not looked at the games yet. Seems they have a subscription service on there too.

Apple TV 4K - Apple

Got the brand new Apple tv 4k today. So far it seems great! Today was the first day for customers to receive them in the mail. I preordered on day 1. The Dobly Atmos is outstanding! Big improvement in sound over the Amazon firestick 4k. The picture is a bit better too, but doesnt seem like a huge difference. It has some nice features too. This new box will be good for gaming too. Ive not looked at the games yet. Seems they have a subscription service on there too.

Apple TV 4K - Apple
Why did you buy ATV4K? WebOS on LG has AppleTV app (along with all the other streaming services), and the new generation of OLED has Dolby Atmos, Vision as well as HDR10+.

I bought a ATV4K (gen5) for my 2016 OLED when ATV+ and Disney+ came out with all the Atmos contents because it did not have Dolby Atmos (but has Vision and HDR10). I believe you can get Dolby Vision/Atmos on all new LG OLEDs.

Am I missing something?

I ditched buying any more Samsung products since they punted on OLED. Same thing for any company not offering Dolby Vision. Appears he market has spoken...and will continue to speak.
yes, no Dolby Vision for me is a deal breaker.

Why did you buy ATV4K? WebOS on LG has AppleTV app (along with all the other streaming services), and the new generation of OLED has Dolby Atmos, Vision as well as HDR10+.

I bought a ATV4K (gen5) for my 2016 OLED when ATV+ and Disney+ came out with all the Atmos contents because it did not have Dolby Atmos (but has Vision and HDR10). I believe you can get Dolby Vision/Atmos on all new LG OLEDs.

Am I missing something?
The sound quality is not up to snuff. The sound on the external devices is far superior. In the past I wasnt even able to output dolby 5.1 to my receiver. It would come out stereo through the optic cable. Its some kind of license issue last time I looked. I have it hooked up to my home theater, which is a 11 channel Atmos through my Marantz receiver. I just plug the Apple directly into the receiver.

I havent tried again to run sound out through a newer tv because of my crappy experience from years back. I know my last LG OLED wasnt able to put out dolby 5.1 through the optic. I hassled with it for days, there was no way to do it.

The sound and picture through the Apple is incredible. The Amazon Fire stick 4k is good too, but the sound is lacking a bit. Firestick is still better than sound through the tv.

Well, the first 85 inch Sony LED wouldn't stay powered on, so got a LG 86 in LED. That one had what's described as the "dirty screen effect" during certain scenes. Certainly shouldn't have been like that. So I swapped out for a 3rd TV. I've now got a 77 inch LG OLED. Finally just settled on another OLED and hope the new software it has will help avoid burn in again. The picture is great, just like my old 55 inch OLED, just a lot bigger. Got another 5 year warranty, so if burn in happens again I will get the cash back to buy a new one.View attachment 21568
In this picture you can see the Paramount insignia in the lower right hand corner. Thats the kind of crap that burns into the screen. This new LG OLED has a feature that can dim that as much as 25% and it flickers a bit to try to avoid the phenomenon. I think it will merely slow down the process, not stop it. Just my hypotthesis.

I wish the channels would have that insignia shift around the screen, moving from time to time. Wouldnt be hard to do.

Apple TV 4K - Apple
Robert, Thank You for posting this! I missed this new AppleTV 4K introduction & really appreciate your information! I just ordered mine!

Robert, Thank You for posting this! I missed this new AppleTV 4K introduction & really appreciate your information! I just ordered mine!
This is my first Apple Tv device. I am impressed so far. No bugs, and I was using it on day 1 of release! You can hook up an xbox controller through blu tooth and play games. Ive not tried any yet. You get a free 3 month trial and then its $5 a month.

You also get a free YEAR of Apple tv streaming! I got the one with the most memory, think its 64 gb if I remember right.

Back