OLED TV image burn in, mine has it now

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now I am starting to look at Sony.

Anyone have the Sony X900h 85 inch?

Sony 85" ClassX900H Series LED 4K UHD Smart Android TV XBR85X900H - Best Buy

Wondering how it has been for owners. It has a VA technology LED panel instead of IPS like the LG does. That is supposed to deliver 4x higher contrast for deeper blacks. So it is better for dark rooms, and I watch a lot in the dark. It looks like though that it has no remote? Says voice command, using Alexa. Not sure how that would be for accessing the settings menu of the tv. Im thinking it must have a remote.
I have two XBR950G's both in 65 and 85. I really think they produce a great picture for an LED panel. They use the same remote which I don't care for, but they have one.

You guys are probably aware of this site but they have detailed reviews of all the TVs. I used it before I bought the LG back then and they continue to update their reviews with the newest models.

https://www.rtings.com

For the mere reason og ambilight I turned to Philips. Well, actually also because they had the very better led TV picture back in 2005 (at that time Sony had not really made the move to flat panels and I used to have Sony Trinitron). Presently I have their OLED from 2019. I find it great. My daughter was in need of a TV so se took over my 2017 version also OLED. None have signs of burn in, but we also use a build in function to prevent or reset the panel (whatever it's named).

For the mere reason og ambilight I turned to Philips. Well, actually also because they had the very better led TV picture back in 2005 (at that time Sony had not really made the move to flat panels and I used to have Sony Trinitron). Presently I have their OLED from 2019. I find it great. My daughter was in need of a TV so se took over my 2017 version also OLED. None have signs of burn in, but we also use a build in function to prevent or reset the panel (whatever it's named).
Yeah, I used that utility too and it did not prevent it. Fox News burned mine the most. If you really want to see if you burned your TV, go on to YouTube. Load up different monochrome screen colors. Red, white, pink, green, blue. They have some that run for hours. For me, the burn in showed most on red screen and white.

20210412_131916.jpg

Bummer that it got burn-in.

I believe the newer LG OLED models, from the 8-series onward perform automatic image-retention mitigation procedures whenever they are in standby after every x number of hours of operation.

My C965 has zero burn-in after a couple of years. But then, other than F1 races every other weekend, I never watch stuff with banners or static content. TV only runs for 2 or 3hrs a day. I expect to get a solid 10 years out of that.

As others have indicated, projectors generally do not have this issue. A short-trow laser PJ on an ALR screen might be the trick if lighting conditions work out. But in general, PJ is best when you run a totally light-controlled (zero windows) room.

look at the time, off to watch the F1 race in Italy. Chao.

Bummer that it got burn-in.

I believe the newer LG OLED models, from the 8-series onward perform automatic image-retention mitigation procedures whenever they are in standby after every x number of hours of operation.

My C965 has zero burn-in after a couple of years. But then, other than F1 races every other weekend, I never watch stuff with banners or static content. TV only runs for 2 or 3hrs a day. I expect to get a solid 10 years out of that.

As others have indicated, projectors generally do not have this issue. A short-trow laser PJ on an ALR screen might be the trick if lighting conditions work out. But in general, PJ is best when you run a totally light-controlled (zero windows) room.

look at the time, off to watch the F1 race in Italy. Chao.
The new OLED screens have a feature that detects banners and dims it by 20%. It hasn't taken care of the problem though because I read quite a few reports of people with 1 year old tvs with burn in. That feature has been in place for at least that long. It's a shame, because the picture is great.

The brighter you have the picture set, the faster it burns in. Those pixels become more worn and can't get as bright as neighboring pixels. The "clear panel noise" option meant to minimize the burn in actually burns in the pixels around the burned in image in an effort to blend it in. I read that it's not something that should be run a lot because of how it wears the screen.

I think burn in is just inherent in OLED technology and can't be avoided.

Wow.... you guys make me feel positively embarrassed about my 59" Samsung Plasma.... which still looks great after about 8-9 years.. It was the best thing around at that time. It has a warm romantic look... it just makes everything look NICE.... though it doesn't have near the "pop" of modern HDR TVs. I am looking to make the leap to a 65" OLED, and every time I look at an LG vs. Sony... something makes me like the Sony better. More natural colors (to me). Problem is..... I'm sort of anti-Sony. They don't play well with Apple products.... or at least my new-ish bedroom Sony does not.
To get back on-topic, sort of, I remember being paranoid about plasma burn-in, and after nearly 10 years, mine still looks great! I'm having a hard time justifying replacing it.

This is good to know. I'm still on my Panasonic Plasma, 12,571 hours and still going strong 9 years in. I've been watching OLED, to replace this screen, but still haven't found a compelling reason to do so, as this picture is just as good. It's not 4k or HDR, but with the exception of a very small amount of content, I don't see that as a reason to upgrade. My screen is still far better than any LCD (LED or otherwise) that I have encountered so far, so OLED was my only possible option. It does have occasional 'image retention' issues, but so far, no 'burn in' issues. I don't watch broadcast TV or use any devices that would produce long lasting static images, so that has helped I'm sure. I've been seeing more and more of these posts related to OLED burn in. I am really curious how many are true burn in, and not just retention. At this point, sounds like I will skip to a projector when this screen finally does die (hopefully not for another 10 years, or until 8K is a real thing).

This is good to know. I'm still on my Panasonic Plasma, 12,571 hours and still going strong 9 years in. I've been watching OLED, to replace this screen, but still haven't found a compelling reason to do so, as this picture is just as good. It's not 4k or HDR, but with the exception of a very small amount of content, I don't see that as a reason to upgrade. My screen is still far better than any LCD (LED or otherwise) that I have encountered so far, so OLED was my only possible option. It does have occasional 'image retention' issues, but so far, no 'burn in' issues. I don't watch broadcast TV or use any devices that would produce long lasting static images, so that has helped I'm sure. I've been seeing more and more of these posts related to OLED burn in. I am really curious how many are true burn in, and not just retention. At this point, sounds like I will skip to a projector when this screen finally does die (hopefully not for another 10 years, or until 8K is a real thing).
If you ever watch 4k format on an OLED or and good 4k TV, you'll see the dramatic difference. If you never view 4k, then I would agree with you for sure. Check out Dolby Vision, you'll be amazed.

Longevity of plasma sounds great. I've got a 12 year old LED that looks as good as new. Not sure if OLED burns in easier than Plasma. The warranty I bought for my OLED specifically made an exemption for not covering burn in on CRT and Plasma tvs. No mention of LED or OLED. I found out that if you buy an OLED from Best Buy and get their warranty they will cover burn in even on OLED. I called in and talked to their warranty expert. I was surprised. Only bad thing, it only goes out 4 years and not 5 like mine did. The cost is $500 for 4 years on a $2200 86 inch LED tv. I didnt check on OLED. Price of the warranty is based on price of the TV.

I've got to call my warranty company and see how they will reimburse me.

Bought my present 4 year old LG OLED at HH Gregg. They are basically out of business now. Their warranties were awesome for my family. Replaced 3 tvs now.

But then, other than F1 races every other weekend, I never watch stuff with banners or static content. TV only runs for 2 or 3hrs a day. I expect to get a solid 10 years out of that.
Good to see another F1 fan out here! Although, while I still watch F1, I'm now more of an IMSA and WEC fan... (y)

Bought a Sony LED today at Best Buy. Im hoping this one is reliable. I did get their 5 year warranty with it since I have used the warranties on the last 3 tv I bought. Ive got a check in the mail coming to pay for the damaged OLED that will help pay for it. This is the one I settled on.

Sony 85" ClassX900H Series LED 4K UHD Smart Android TV XBR85X900H - Best Buy

So went up from a 55 inch to an 85 inch. Decided to bail on the OLED because of the burn in problem. The picture on this Sony looks pretty darn good. The blacks are pretty deep.

85 inch 4k TVs look amazing if fed a decent signal for general TV. Using Blu-ray it goes into a beyond amazing level. Once they get a lot more content to stream in 4K from Netflix, Disney and others the pictures will be to the level that I don't see how they can make them any better. 3D was an attempt for a next generation technology but it flopped. I have no idea what would come next for TV picture levels. Sound is still has a way to go with sound bars having a much better simulated surround and 7.1 being better implemented by the mixing studios. Our current receivers will play amazing sound but the movie mixes are severely lacking in most movies/TV shows. They don't use the effects nearly enough IMHO. I like big effects where the plane zooms around the room etc. Most sound tracks are very weak in this regard. A few movies are pretty good though. Enough rambling......:)

85 inch 4k TVs look amazing if fed a decent signal for general TV. Using Blu-ray it goes into a beyond amazing level. Once they get a lot more content to stream in 4K from Netflix, Disney and others the pictures will be to the level that I don't see how they can make them any better. 3D was an attempt for a next generation technology but it flopped. I have no idea what would come next for TV picture levels. Sound is still has a way to go with sound bars having a much better simulated surround and 7.1 being better implemented by the mixing studios. Our current receivers will play amazing sound but the movie mixes are severely lacking in most movies/TV shows. They don't use the effects nearly enough IMHO. I like big effects where the plane zooms around the room etc. Most sound tracks are very weak in this regard. A few movies are pretty good though. Enough rambling......:)
One thing I notice is how regular TV shows have way too much bass! I'll be watching a commercial about Toyota and the bass is so loud it's shaking the picture frames and wall!

One thing I notice is how regular TV shows have way too much bass! I'll be watching a commercial about Toyota and the bass is so loud it's shaking the picture frames and wall!
Then maybe your sub is up too loud?? Most people I know that have subs, have them turned up so they are booming, and they think that's good. For me, I never want to actually "hear" my sub, but I will miss it if I turn it off. ALL my TV listening in my living room is through my main stereo/5.1 system. I have large full range speakers, and I do not perceive exaggerated bass on commercials.

Then maybe your sub is up too loud?? Most people I know that have subs, have them turned up so they are booming, and they think that's good. For me, I never want to actually "hear" my sub, but I will miss it if I turn it off. ALL my TV listening in my living room is through my main stereo/5.1 system. I have large full range speakers, and I do not perceive exaggerated bass on commercials.
I don't get it on tv shows or movies, and not music either. It's usually some stupid commercial. I used Audyssey setting it up and it blends in great with my Prodigy speakers. It doesn't happen often, but when it does it is annoying. It's as if they added in extra bass to get more attention. I think most people just use TV speakers or sound bars ,so they can't hear it.

Advertisers have always jacked up the volume to try and get our attention when they start playing. Swine!
Awhile back the US government supposedly passed a law that limited how much advertisers can increase volume. It seemed to take affect at first because I remember feeling like things had changed for the better. Its almost as if they have slowly drifted back to their old ways. Kinda like how that no call list the government created went out the window.

https://www.fcc.gov/consumers/guides/loud-commercials-tv

Latest posts

Back