OLED TV image burn in, mine has it now

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert D

MLO Supporter
Reaction score
I bought a 55 inch LG OLED back in 2016. Luckily I bought a 5 year warranty with no deductible for it because now it has burn in on it. I called the warranty company today and they said they would cover it thank goodness. I got lucky because back then the warranty only excluded CRT and Plasma screens for image burn in. LEDs werent excluded nor were OLEDs. I think OLEDs werent excluded because they were so new at the time. I suspect new warranties wont cover it. A repair guy will be sent here tuesday to inspect the tv. Im sure there is no way to repair the screen, so I should get a new tv. The warranties have saved my butt 3x now. My previous 2 tvs were also replaced with brand new tvs the same way. IMO, always buy an extended warranty like this for your TV.

Has anyone else here had this happen to them? What happened to me is I got a burn in on the bottom of the tv where news channels have their scroll panels and news events scrolling. I also got the channel symbols burned in on the left and the right. On the right side is the symbol from The Today show and on the left is Fox News. You can even see ALERT in the center of the screen. Then there is a horizontal band that goes across the entire bottom of the screen.

We did not notice the burn until we were watching the 4k movie Fellowship of the Ring last night. The scene was bright white and really showed it. We went to youtube and did a green, blue, pink, and red screen. The pink screen shows everything the worst. Now that I know it is there, I can see it when I am watching tv! My daughter was the one that noticed it last night on the Lord of the Rings. I think it probably happened slowly over the past 4 years and we didnt notice until last night. So many channels now have their symbol on the screen for hours and it doesnt move. TLC is also burned in there. I have the setting turned on the tv where it moves the image slightly periodically to try and avoid it and I have also run the program where the tv turns off and it tries to get rid of burn in. Nothing works. It is permanent. So hopefully I will get credit now to buy a new tv.

I am done with OLED now because of this. At first I thought maybe the newer OLED tvs would be less apt to have this happen, but I found on an online LG forum where someone just a month ago has burn in and his tv is only about 2 years old. Because OLED tvs are so much more expensive, I will be able to buy a 75 inch LED for less now. Something like this, hopefully stores here have some in stock.

LG NanoCell 90 Series 2020 75 inch Class 4K Smart UHD NanoCell TV w/ AI ThinQ® (74.5'' Diag) (75NANO90UNA) | LG USA

Has anyone else had this experience and switched back to LED?

I went with an LG Oled because the black levels and movements were comparable to my old Pioneer Elite plasma. I can't stand the motion blur on lcd tvs. I have been very afraid of getting burn in, but I've been very lucky. I don't watch many channels with static images like tickers or logos. I also limit my kids video gaming on it.

i do have a few friends that do a lot of gaming and they have since replaced their OLED with Samsung Q6 LED, picture is pretty darn good.

My first OLED I purchased was a floor model that I got for a song. It took a few weeks until I noticed the store's logo burned into the screen. I thought I could live with it for how little I paid, but once my other half saw it I had to refund it and get a new one.

I've been afraid of it happening again, sorry to hear it happened to you.

I went with an LG Oled because the black levels and movements were comparable to my old Pioneer Elite plasma. I can't stand the motion blur on lcd tvs. I have been very afraid of getting burn in, but I've been very lucky. I don't watch many channels with static images like tickers or logos. I also limit my kids video gaming on it.

i do have a few friends that do a lot of gaming and they have since replaced their OLED with Samsung Q6 LED, picture is pretty darn good.

My first OLED I purchased was a floor model that I got for a song. It took a few weeks until I noticed the store's logo burned into the screen. I thought I could live with it for how little I paid, but once my other half saw it I had to refund it and get a new one.

I've been afraid of it happening again, sorry to hear it happened to you.
i think that since so many channels now have their logo on the screen for so long, unmoving, that it is probably near impossible to avoid burn in if you watch a lot of tv. So many cable stations now have it. I can see about 3 different logos on mine now and the big bar running across the screen. I like the picture a lot, but dont want to have to worry about this happening again. Im going to go with the nano LED from LG. LG is the only tv I have owned that didnt totally turn to crap after 4 years. Both Samsungs I owned had the pixels go bad on them. LED. I trust LG more now. Wish I could get another OLED, but I just dont trust it anymore. Its not like I left Fox News on my television for 6 hours straight many days. It was just short stints, but it was a daily thing. I guess it adds up. Hopefully in the future they will figure out how to avoid this, otherwise I will not buy another OLED ever again.

Is there any danger of burn in on projection televisions? I hope to put up one in the next couple of years. Wondering if there is anything to worry about on those. I dont like having to buy a new tv every 4 or 5 years.

I have had an Epson 2030 for over ten years....a great set...its noisy in the first four min but then its fine.........clear enough to see women's imperfections on their faces!

I have the LGC6 65" OLED and does have exactly the same burn in as OP. Its not too bad except when sold bright color background is shown on the screen.

I will replace it with another OLED, unless microLED comes about sooner. The OLED image is far superior compared to LED today that I'm willing to deal with the potential burn in. Frankly, my TV is now 5 yrs old and I won't feel too bad when I replace it. It would be nice to have Dolby Atmos built in on the TV set so that programs from Apple TV+ and Disney+ can be played without having to use AppleTV external box. One less remote (crappy one at that) to deal with.

Given today's news reporting (too many inaccurate and biased reporting in both directions), I'm watching less and less news these days so I can believe I can avoid future burn in.

Is there any danger of burn in on projection televisions? I hope to put up one in the next couple of years. Wondering if there is anything to worry about on those. I dont like having to buy a new tv every 4 or 5 years.

No, projectors (except ancient CRT projectors) don't have burn-in issues. Check out the new ultra short throw laser projectors. When matched with an ALR (ambient light rejecting) screen they can look almost like a massive flat panel TV. No need for installation either, you just place it on a stand inches in front of the screen.

I have the LGC6 65" OLED and does have exactly the same burn in as OP. Its not too bad except when sold bright color background is shown on the screen.

I will replace it with another OLED, unless microLED comes about sooner. The OLED image is far superior compared to LED today that I'm willing to deal with the potential burn in. Frankly, my TV is now 5 yrs old and I won't feel too bad when I replace it. It would be nice to have Dolby Atmos built in on the TV set so that programs from Apple TV+ and Disney+ can be played without having to use AppleTV external box. One less remote (crappy one at that) to deal with.

Given today's news reporting (too many inaccurate and biased reporting in both directions), I'm watching less and less news these days so I can believe I can avoid future burn in.
The nano technology LED that LG has looks great. If it is approved for me to get a replacement tv I will go to the store and compare the picture of the OLED vs the Nano LED. I think the only place where the OLED is much better is the blacks. Color seems to be just as good and the HDR also. Id like to be able to watch whatever I want on tv and not worry about burn in. I plan on getting the Nano LED tv by LG.

I have an old Samsung LED in our bedroom that has no burn in and I watch the news in there a lot. It is about 10 years old and looks like brand new. Very disappointed in how easily the screen burned. In just 4 years too. Bottom right screen has TLC on it and the symbol for the Today Show. Horizontal across the entire screen is a band where the scroll bar is on the news channel. Lower left corner is Fox News. Along the scroll bar in all caps "ALERT". Its not like I watch Fox News 5 hours a day every day either. Maybe average 1 hour a day on it. The tv shouldnt do that. CRT tvs I owned in the past never did that. CRTs only burned if we played some Atari games on it too long.

I have had an Epson 2030 for over ten years....a great set...its noisy in the first four min but then its fine.........clear enough to see women's imperfections on their faces!
Mine is the B6 I bought in November 2016. It is inherent in all OLEDs. LG is the only company that makes the panels too. So Sony and the others buy the panels from them and then use it for their products.

LG NanoCell 90 Series 2020 75 inch Class 4K Smart UHD NanoCell TV w/ AI ThinQ® (74.5'' Diag) (75NANO90UNA) | LG USA

Has anyone else had this experience and switched back to LED?
[/QUOTE]

Robert I have a Nanocell 75 inch and it is great. I compare it to my nephews Samsung OLED and I cannot tell a difference. I'm not the best person to analyze every last detail but it has a very, very nice picture to me. It also has all of the streaming and such that I do not need anything extra to enjoy the TV with the streaming services. Of course the TV speakers are TV quality (Junk) so any decent sound bar or surround system fixes that. I use a 6 year old sound bar that doesn't do ANY of the new surround sound stuff like Atmos etc. It is really a stereo bar with cheap sub, but it still blows the TV speakers away. Or. I can fire up the big surround system and go that route for movies. But, due to the wife wanting my entire surround system and two channel setup replaced with a medium to small boom box (JBL type stuff) I bought a set of $400 Audeze Mobius headphones which really are VERY nice for watching movies and having surround on the cheap. She likes it when I use those. She was shell shocked from a few war movies I watched. Plus I think she was getting PTSD from all of the explosions etc. I think the future will be headphones to replace all the normal receivers and associated speakers and save everyone a boat load of money. But that's probably 15 years down the road yet.

I can recommend the LG, but you have to remember that currently all of the TV manufacturers expect any large screen TV to last one year. If it fails after one year they will all tell you that it is time to replace it. TVs are really very iffy high tech "hope it works" items. Most people clearly get 3 to 7 years or so out of their TVs but it is wise to remember those high dollar $4000 TVs "might" need replacing anytime after a year. That is why I look at the cheaper $1800 range just in case.

So enjoy your new LG Nanocell TV. I am! :)

Oh and if you can in any way swing it size wise, I would go for the 85 inch screen. I am finding that my 75 inch is too small in my little one bedroom apartment. I can easily fit an 85 in here but when I bought it, the 85s were still sky high in pricing, but they have dropped a lot now. Please get the 85 if you can fit it in, even if it is cramped, you will NEVER regret it. Makes the NFL Cheerleaders life size!! Need I say more??? :)

Good to hear about the picture quality being great. We have 9 foot ceilings, so maybe a 85 inch will fit. I have it running with my home theater sounds setup, so I have to figure out how to mount it on the wall and what to put my audio components in. I guess maybe mount the new Focus center on the wall. Right now I'm using the old fashioned entertainment center that only fits up to 55 inch tvs. I'll have to get rid of that and buy something to hold the equipment. It will need to not be too tall so as to give the TV plenty of room. Ive also got a hot air return up at the top of that wall that can't be blocked.

I'll probably go to my audiophile store and have them help me put something together. This is assuming the warranty company takes care of my claim by giving me my money back. I got 2 new tvs out of the last 2 warranties. The warranty was $450 but we'll worth it. Each time I received $2000 credit for new tvs. Once the screen goes bad, it's throw it out and get new. Cheaper for them to do that.

Wow.... you guys make me feel positively embarrassed about my 59" Samsung Plasma.... which still looks great after about 8-9 years.. It was the best thing around at that time. It has a warm romantic look... it just makes everything look NICE.... though it doesn't have near the "pop" of modern HDR TVs. I am looking to make the leap to a 65" OLED, and every time I look at an LG vs. Sony... something makes me like the Sony better. More natural colors (to me). Problem is..... I'm sort of anti-Sony. They don't play well with Apple products.... or at least my new-ish bedroom Sony does not.
To get back on-topic, sort of, I remember being paranoid about plasma burn-in, and after nearly 10 years, mine still looks great! I'm having a hard time justifying replacing it.

Wow.... you guys make me feel positively embarrassed about my 59" Samsung Plasma.... which still looks great after about 8-9 years.. It was the best thing around at that time. It has a warm romantic look... it just makes everything look NICE.... though it doesn't have near the "pop" of modern HDR TVs. I am looking to make the leap to a 65" OLED, and every time I look at an LG vs. Sony... something makes me like the Sony better. More natural colors (to me). Problem is..... I'm sort of anti-Sony. They don't play well with Apple products.... or at least my new-ish bedroom Sony does not.
To get back on-topic, sort of, I remember being paranoid about plasma burn-in, and after nearly 10 years, mine still looks great! I'm having a hard time justifying replacing it.
Well, I recommend you dont get and OLED. Just my opinion. So many channels now have their emblems on the screen all of the time. Seems the majority do either all day long or part of the time. Advertisements are the only break sometimes. I never watched a channel constantly either. At the most maybe 2 hours straight in a day. The damage just adds up. The OLED cells get burned out and dont get as bright where the symbols are. The scroll bar at the bottom of news channels does it too. Id get a Nano LED by LG if I were you. Thats what I plan on now.

LG is the only company that produces OLED screens, so when you buy a Sony OLED you are buying a LG OLED screen.

My 10 plus year old Samsung LED is still going strong and has zero burn in. I watch news in there a lot more too. Its the OLED that is the problem. The better blacks isnt worth the trade off IMO.

Regardless of which TV you get, I absolutely hate the Android OS implementation on Sony TVs.

I have one of the 4K XBR (several years old) and hate how cumbersome it is to use it as a smartTV. On the other hand, my LG OS (former PalmOS) is much simpler and straight forward.

Since the panel itself is made by LG for Sony, not sure just how much difference you actually see, other than the default color/saturation/brightness settings. Clearly, you can get to the combination you like by tweeking the settings on both.

Until Sony changes their OS implementation, I will not buy anther Sony TV.

Regardless of which TV you get, I absolutely hate the Android OS implementation on Sony TVs.

I have one of the 4K XBR (several years old) and hate how cumbersome it is to use it as a smartTV. On the other hand, my LG OS (former PalmOS) is much simpler and straight forward.

Since the panel itself is made by LG for Sony, not sure just how much difference you actually see, other than the default color/saturation/brightness settings. Clearly, you can get to the combination you like by tweeking the settings on both.

All the picture processing is done by chips different from brand to brand, and that gives a difference more than just the default setting.

I'm fairly set on LG and buying their Nano LED. The OS won't bother me because I use external devices to stream. Right now im using the Amazon Firestick 4k. I plan on buying the new Apple tv 4k if it ever comes out! Release seems to be delayed.

All the picture processing is done by chips different from brand to brand, and that gives a difference more than just the default setting.
I will go to the store and compare the pictures on them all. For reliability, Samsung has been a very mixed bad. 3 out of 4 Samsung tvs I bought went bad within 4 years. One after just 1 year. The LG had the burn in, but I see that as the nature of OLED ,so I don't blame LG.

Going to look close at LG vs Sony high end LED picture quality. Try to buy the best LED in production. 4k, not 8k.

Now I am starting to look at Sony.

Anyone have the Sony X900h 85 inch?

Sony 85" ClassX900H Series LED 4K UHD Smart Android TV XBR85X900H - Best Buy

Wondering how it has been for owners. It has a VA technology LED panel instead of IPS like the LG does. That is supposed to deliver 4x higher contrast for deeper blacks. So it is better for dark rooms, and I watch a lot in the dark. It looks like though that it has no remote? Says voice command, using Alexa. Not sure how that would be for accessing the settings menu of the tv. Im thinking it must have a remote.

Also Robert they are coming out with Mini-LED screens and then in a few more years micro-led screens. It is a constantly moving target worse than audio! A great LG Nano tv today will easily (hopefully) last until the Micro-led TVs come out and then drop in price say 5 or 6 years from now. That way you can skip the whole mini-led fad that is coming up and go directly to the micro version.

Latest posts

Back