Odyssey vs Vantage

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

kid4lyf

Decisions, decisions.
Trying to decide on either a demo pair of Odysees or a new set of Vantages.
$ is similar enough to remove from the equation.
Unfortunately, don't have the opportunity to listen to each in similar surroundings.
Room is large, 24' X 27'.
This will be for both two channel and front HT use. HT system will use a sub.
Recommendations?

What electronics will you use to power them?

Both speakers are very good, but the Odysseys are harder to drive then the Vantages. If you are going to be using a lower powered amp I would recommend the Vantages.

The Oddysey should cost you around $4,000. That should be a lot better than the Vantages.

tsd2005 said:
The Oddysey should cost you around $4,000. That should be a lot better than the Vantages.

Heard the Oddysey and had the Vantage.... I would go Vantage.

TSD,
Are you saying the Oddysey is better purely due to the price factor?

i think he is implying that with the money difference, you can get a much better pre or amp that will outperform a mediocre setup with the vantages. if you have a limited budget, i would go for the odysees and spend the extra on components. if budget allows, then the vantages with good components is the ultimate choice.

Anthony A. said:
i think he is implying that with the money difference, you can get a much better pre or amp that will outperform a mediocre setup with the vantages. if you have a limited budget, i would go for the odysees and spend the extra on components. if budget allows, then the vantages with good components is the ultimate choice.

You can get the Vantages from a dealer in Texas shipped to you for less than $4K. You just gotta go per my thread in the fs section. Not sure if it's still available though.

I would go Vantage over Oddysey and work on the components at a later date, if need be. It's a lot easier to switch amps than it is to switch a 5 foot tall speaker.

The Odysessys are very good but like Zip3kx07 said you'll need more amp to power them. You have to drive two woofers plus the panel although they are rated at a resonable 90dB. Something else to consider is that the Odysessys are much larger than the Vantage speaker. They make the Ascents look small. Are the Vantages new? If so, a 5 year warranty could come in handy some day. However, since the Odysessys are demo then you should get the warranty with those too. Both are great speakers.

I'd be running them with a Mac MC2200; same amp I've loved with my Acoustats that just died.
They're asking $4500 for the demo Odysseys so the, after haggling, price will be about the same for either.
The Odyssey extra size is actually a good thing in my 24x27 room.

This is a case where all things really are equal. It comes purely down to performance.

Which speaker sounds better?

Last edited:
The Mac should have no problem driving either of the two models. So, the question comes down to style. With the Vantage, you have options to upgrade to a medium powered amplifier with more refined sound rather than getting locked into looking strictly for a beefy high-powered amplifier. On the other hand, with the Odyssey, you do have the similar option going with bi-amp configuraiton using two amplifiers, one for your panels and one for the bass. The bi-amp configuration involves more work and more equipments but could be an option if the Odyssey fit your room better. Either choice is excellent.

Good luck.
Spike

kid4lyf said:
Which speaker sounds better?
Personally, the new panels on the Vantage and Summit (I have heard both) are better than the older panels like the Odyssey. For what I have heard on the Vantage and Summit panels, smoother sounding, wider sweet spot, with the Summit having superior bass to Vantage.

Hard to really say "which sounds better" due to personal preferences...but as others have pointed out, the bass on the Odyssey will probably be better, but you can easily add a sub to the Vantage if you "think" you need more bass. And most of the information you are hearing in music is from the Panels, the better panels on the Vantage would sway me to the Vantage.

Dan

Kid-for-life, Not knowing your listening style, but being the first one of the "Vantage" owners to comment I say go the Vanatge route. Regardless I still think spending that kind of $$$ without auditioning is still a little nuts.

with the Odyssey, you do have the similar option going with bi-amp configuraiton using two amplifiers, one for your panels and one for the bass. The bi-amp configuration involves more work and more equipments but could be an option if the Odyssey fit your room better
With the Vantage you would already be biamping. No need to ever add a second amp. The money you save on not buying a second amp could be applied elsewhere.

The odysseys and vantage’s are both grate speakers and I have heard them both, so if I had to choose one of them, it would be the vantage. I like the smaller size, but with the same bold sound that you would get from the Ascent’s or odyssey. I love the new Xstat panels; the dynamics and clarity are first class.

Just listened to the Vantages last night.
Very nice. Surprised at the small size.
Used to my Acoustats at about twice as big.

Hope to demo the Odysseys this weekend.

BTW, is anyone here using the Vantages in large rooms?
Comments?

$4500 for DEMO Discontinued product?

They're ripping you off. Technically if its an honest company it should be LESS than $3,900. They shouldn't be profiting off a discontinued demo unit.

odyssey vs vantage

*put on flame suit*

i've had a pair of odysseys for ages and went and had a good listen to a pair of summits (not vantage i know but ..). my sense is that summits are clearly superior at the bottom end but thats taken care of in my case with a sub nicely integrated with the odysseys. This may be sacrilege to everyone raving about summits and vantage but i feel something is missing in the mid range of the summits. the summits ( and i suppose the vantage ) have a forward, brash and slightly brittle sound to them which in my mind suits home theater use to perfection but i have a clear preference for the odysseys in the mid range and i originally went for electrostats looking for midrange clarity.

of course size wise the new models win and if you are a bass nut then go with the new ones but don't dismiss the odysseys. then again maybe my ears are so odysseyfied this doesnt count :)

TablaPlayer said:
*put on flame suit*

This may be sacrilege to everyone raving about summits and vantage but i feel something is missing in the mid range of the summits. the summits ( and i suppose the vantage ) have a forward, brash and slightly brittle sound to them which in my mind suits home theater use to perfection but i have a clear preference for the odysseys in the mid range and i originally went for electrostats looking for midrange clarity.

On the contrary several people have posted about the Summit midrange with a similar observation. Just for the record how many hours had the Summits done and can you recall the amplification used?

Kevin

tsd2005 said:
$4500 for DEMO Discontinued product?

They're ripping you off. Technically if its an honest company it should be LESS than $3,900. They shouldn't be profiting off a discontinued demo unit.
Really?
I've read that they go anywhere from $4200-$4800 used.
It was origionally a $6500 speaker, right?

i feel something is missing in the mid range of the summits. the summits ( and i suppose the vantage ) have a forward, brash and slightly brittle sound to them which in my mind suits home theater use to perfection but i have a clear preference for the odysseys in the mid range and i originally went for electrostats looking for midrange clarity.

You're entitled to your opinion but come on..."forward, brash and slighty brittle (not to mention less mid-range)? Yeah sure, that describes the Summit sound exactly!

Back