Odyssey and Ascenti Owners

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hipgrncln

Reaction score
Have a chance to upgrade my Aeoni's. Proposed music room design wise is just not going to work but that opens up the living area to a music only room. This is a large area with high / no ceilings. (timber framed home with straw bale insulation). Can some fellow ML Odyssey and Ascenti owners chime in on the strengths and differences between these two beasts !!!!

Thanks in advance.

Bob J

At last year's Stereophile show in NYC, I asked the same question of a ML rep. His answer: It depends on room size and on the quality of bass you desire. He said the panels on the Ascent and Odyssey are very similar, if not identical. I know they are the same size. When I told him I already had a Depth subwoofer, he said the Odyssey would be a duplication of some of the technology in the Depth. He therefore suggested the Ascent. I have not regretted the decision. I am, however, anxious to hear the new stuff to find out if it makes a significant diiference.

I currently own Ascents driven by a Sunfire amp and until recently a pair of Odysseys. The Odysseys were nice and sounded a little better than my Ascents. However, I would prefer Ascents with a Depth or Descent sub over the just the Odyssey. If you do go with the Odyssey then be sure provide plenty of quality power to drive them to get the full potential they can deliver.

Craig

Odysseys Need More Bass

I had the odysseys driven by an EAD amp. Plenty of power from the amp but still not very satisfying bass. In my opinion you need a sub with the odysseys as well so I would factor that cost into your buying decision.

What's SUB doc?

"When I told him I already had a Depth subwoofer, he said the Odyssey would be a duplication of some of the technology in the Depth. He therefore suggested the Ascent."

The purpose of a sub is not to reinforce a speaker's bass. It is meant to pick-up the bass reproduction where the speaker's woofer rolls off the bass. So what if it uses the same technology, they should not be reproducing the same frequency range.

Willy said:
I had the odysseys driven by an EAD amp. Plenty of power from the amp but still not very satisfying bass. In my opinion you need a sub with the odysseys as well so I would factor that cost into your buying decision.
I used to have Aerius', but when I moved my stereo into a larger room (15wx25lx18h) they just couldn't deliver, so I bought a pair of Ascent-i. They fill the space and sound great. In a large area, there is plenty of bass. In fact, in my room a sub is completely unnecessary for 2-channel acoustic-based instruments (i.e. non-electronica). I have never heard the Odysseys, but I'm confident that Ascents would work very well in your space.

Back