Odd issue with squeezebox server or...

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timm

Reaction score
Hi all. I have this odd issue with a disc I copied. I burned it on my hard drive and then copied the entire file/directory to my external hd which the squeezebox drives off of using windows file manager. Here is the odd part. 1 album 'morph the cat' by Donald fagen copies in its directory but also shows up in the various artists on the hard drive. I deleted the album from various artists directory and it also deletes under his name/album name. I'm doing all of this in file manager. To make matters even more odd - I was playing fleetwood Mac and right in the middle of a song - bam here comes one of the songs from the Fagen album. Nothing in the file system indicates any song change.

All of my albums show under my music-> music folder-> artist->album name in Logitech server.

So any clues here? I know I didn't drop anything inadvertently. Thanks Tim.

Sounds like your tags are incorrect, but you say you're using the directory structure and not meta data in squeeze center. Odd. What did you use to rip?

Hi all. I have this odd issue with a disc I copied. I burned it on my hard drive and then copied the entire file/directory to my external hd which the squeezebox drives off of using windows file manager. Here is the odd part. 1 album 'morph the cat' by Donald fagen copies in its directory but also shows up in the various artists on the hard drive. I deleted the album from various artists directory and it also deletes under his name/album name. I'm doing all of this in file manager. To make matters even more odd - I was playing fleetwood Mac and right in the middle of a song - bam here comes one of the songs from the Fagen album. Nothing in the file system indicates any song change.

All of my albums show under my music-> music folder-> artist->album name in Logitech server.

So any clues here? I know I didn't drop anything inadvertently. Thanks Tim.

Your tags (or server settings) are incorrect.

View the album with a full featured tag editor such as MP3Tag (Windows) or Puddletag (Linux). It is quite possible that you are using obscure tags like "albumartist" or "VA". Clear those tags.

It may also be the settings on the server. The server can be configured to show different directory structures as separate albums, but you did say that all the albums are clearly defined in the structure. Make sure there are not two directories created under "album name" as this can cause the server to show two separate artists.

Yes. To be clear. I am just dropping files in a directory. I used dvdaexplorer to do the rip. I then go into windows file manager and rename the tracks. how on earth I have a song start ...Songbird by fleetwood Mac and then have a Fagen song start (in the middle of the that track) is beyond me. Logitech still reads it as songbird. This is in windows so I get the idea of links in unix ... So I would guess that when I delete in the various artist folder it is essentially a link pointing to the fagen directory. So this feels like a software thing. Like I'm dropping files and Logitech media server does a scan and does something 'special'. But as of now I am clueless.

Yes. To be clear. I am just dropping files in a directory. I used dvdaexplorer to do the rip. I then go into windows file manager and rename the tracks. how on earth I have a song start ...Songbird by fleetwood Mac and then have a Fagen song start (in the middle of the that track) is beyond me. Logitech still reads it as songbird. This is in windows so I get the idea of links in unix ... So I would guess that when I delete in the various artist folder it is essentially a link pointing to the fagen directory. So this feels like a software thing. Like I'm dropping files and Logitech media server does a scan and does something 'special'. But as of now I am clueless.

LMS can be configured to read the directory structure, or the file tags. To have any idea what is going wrong here, we need to know how you've got it configured.

If you've got a mish-mash of both then there is little wonder you have problems.

My suggestion would be to set up LMS to read file tags. Tag the files simply and consistently - using album, artist, track and any other tags you specifically need. Then store all the files in a single directory - pretty much as you are doing.

Something very bizzare is going on there - perhaps rip the CD again and verify everything is consistent.

Yes amey. I am sure I screwed something up no doubt. Here is really all I have done. Rip music - rename songs for those out of dvdaexplorer - copy files and put them under directory structure with
Artist
Album
Songs.

These are all under a directory I call Music_lossless - and I have LMS pointing to that directory. Hence everything falls and is visible under the 'Music Folder' in LMS. I haven't done anything with tags. Most of my music has the tags etc. dvdaexplorer however does not get them.

Yes amey. I am sure I screwed something up no doubt. Here is really all I have done. Rip music - rename songs for those out of dvdaexplorer - copy files and put them under directory structure with
Artist
Album
Songs.

These are all under a directory I call Music_lossless - and I have LMS pointing to that directory. Hence everything falls and is visible under the 'Music Folder' in LMS. I haven't done anything with tags. Most of my music has the tags etc. dvdaexplorer however does not get them.

I don't follow. You have to do something with the tags to have tags. Are you using tags, or is LMS just getting this information from your directory structure? What sort of files are they? If they are FLAC, then use a tagging program like MP3Tag/Puddletag and ensure all your tags are correct (and consistent).

By the sound of things, it is not your directory structure that is causing the problem - unless you have messed something up there.

Maybe also try the LMS option to "Clear database and rescan" to clear everything out and start again.

I don't follow. You have to do something with the tags to have tags. Are you using tags, or is LMS just getting this information from your directory structure? What sort of files are they? If they are FLAC, then use a tagging program like MP3Tag/Puddletag and ensure all your tags are correct (and consistent).

By the sound of things, it is not your directory structure that is causing the problem - unless you have messed something up there.

Maybe also try the LMS option to "Clear database and rescan" to clear everything out and start again.

Thanks -- I'll give it a go....... and understand... the music is not seen anywhere else EXCEPT under the Music Folder item in LMS... So, as an example - if I go to Artists in LMS or Albums in LMS --My music does not show up... It only shows up under the Music folder item.... And that - I get is probably because of tags - or my lack thereof..... And yes the problematic files are the flac files that were ripped using dvdaexplorer.... I have everything still on my C drive - so I can easily re-copy things into the target directory for LMS... But, found this curious - as it is definitely a piece of software (LMS) moving things around for me - probably as you said - because of errant tags etc..... I will look into the MP3tag software... and see what I can see.....

Thanks Tim.

Latest posts

Back