obtained a used pair aerius-need help

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
R

Ribbonman

Hi I am new to the club and joined because i recently obtained a used pair of Aerius Speakers. Since that time, I have been using magneplanars. The pair I have lacks highs which sound recessed and muffled. I rechecked the wiring and all...and even rehooked the old maggies back to make sure the system was ok...but came back to the same problem with the muffled highs. Do the pair need to be repanelled or what? any suggestions would be great.

Phillip

Last edited:
I would unplug the speakers for a day then give it a good vacuum cleaning. Do not vacuum the woofer. If this fixes the problem then great. If not you can try washing the panels. If you do a search on washing on this sight you will find directions on how to do it.

Good luck

Hi Phillip,

It sound like your panels are old and tired, you can try vacuuming them to see if that can help restore them. Unplug them for about 12 hours so the static charge can dissipate and then vacuum the panels real good. Take your time and go slow.

If that doesn’t help you can try washing the panels, but be warned there is a possibility the water could make your old panels fall apart. You should only do this if your prepared to re buy new ones.

Your worst-case scenario would be buying new panels. You would need to call Martin Logan and talk to Jim Power in the service department to order new panels.

Hope this helps,

Last edited:
Once you have done all you have been told to do, be sure the speakers have the spikes, best to be on something hard if you want any sparkle. See my system #42, and the other Aerius based systems in the Members Section for more tips.

If not you can try washing the panels.

If that doesn’t help you can try washing the panels, but be warned there is a possibility the water could make your old panels fall apart.

Do not wash your panels! That ruined my ascent i panels and when talking to jim power he told me that washing is a big no no.

Tiberium said:
Do not wash your panels! That ruined my ascent i panels and when talking to jim power he told me that washing is a big no no.

I washed my Ascent panels with no problems.

Jim Power was the one that told us about washing the panels. You don’t want to wash the back of panel with the plastic strips because the water will loosen the plastic strip and you will get a buzzing sound.

Washing the panels will get all the dirt and grim off your panels, and can breath new life into them but should be done only if you have nothing to loose. If your only other option is to buy new panels why not try it, worst case you still have to buy new panels.

Zip3kx07 said:
I washed my Ascent panels with no problems.

Jim Power was the one that told us about washing the panels. You don’t want to wash the back of panel with the plastic strips because the water will loosen the plastic strip and you will get a buzzing sound.

Washing the panels will get all the dirt and grim off your panels, and can breath new life into them but should be done only if you have nothing to loose. If your only other option is to buy new panels why not try it, worst case you still have to buy new panels.

Best advise...agreed 100% with Zip3kx07. welcome to the club...
Roberto.

Thanks, for all the info...now does anyone know how much and how long it takes to repanel the aerius'?

Ribbonman said:
Thanks, for all the info...now does anyone know how much and how long it takes to repanel the aerius'?
If the removal of the trim and panel is anything like the Sequel II's (what I own), my guess would be 1 hour or so for both.

Dan

Jim Power was the one that told us about washing the panels.

I just talked to him and he said not to do it, any drastic change in temperature will ruin the panel in seconds.

Tiberium said:
I just talked to him and he said not to do it, any drastic change in temperature will ruin the panel in seconds.
Wow!!! ML answered the phone on Saturday? And Jim was in???

I washed my Sequel II panels with no problem, and this was after consulting with ML. ML's stance on it was, it is "possible" it could cause problems (like Zipo stated with the backs), but if you are thinking of replacing the panels due to sound issues, then washing may just do the trick for you.

Remember it is a rinse of the front with warm water...no solvents, soaps, etc. Just a way to try to get more dirt from the panel that vacuuming does not remove.

Dan

Last edited:
Remember it is a rinse of the front with warm water...no solvents, soaps, etc.

Wrong, jim told me specifically about warm water and how bad it will stretch the stator. If you washed your panels in warm water they will not sound near as good as a proper panel.

Wow!!! ML answered the phone on Saturday? And Jim was in???

Who said it was today?

Do you need to respond in such a confrontational manner to anyone whose opinion differs from yours? :confused:

Tiberium,

After all the negativity over the HDMI 1.3 thread and the HD DVD vs. Blu-Ray thread and now this, I take it you’re a glass is half empty kind of guy?

guys, please don´t need to fight...

Hola chicos...we don´t need to fight if we have different opinions. What Tiberiun said regarding hot watter makes sense. and Dan is saying warm water, not hot. Warm water will not harm the panel as hot water will does. Let´s go back to our nice and respected posts even if what I said on them are non sense. We have the right to agreed or disagreed, right?..We all are great guys on this forum, so let´s shake hands again and forget about it, yes please?!!!
I wish to all of you a very happy Sunday and happy listening,
Roberto.

Last edited:
Tiberium said:
I am going on what jim told me and nothing more.
Fair enough.

I am curious, why did you need to wash your Ascent i panels? I mean the Ascent i has only been around for about two years, they shouldn’t have needed washing.

I am curious, why did you need to wash your Ascent i panels? I mean the Ascent i has only been around for about two years, they shouldn’t have needed washing.

I think they were defective right out of the box and the dealer for ML that I bought them from has gone down the tubes so I no longer deal with them.

Latest posts

Back